Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:07 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclown View Post
Pizza in New England just sucks. Chicago pizza is the best IMO
I wouldn't say, "New England." New Haven for example has just as good New York style pizza as New York and New Haven is New England. Providence has some excellent pizza by the slice too, just not as much.

Boston, on the other hand, isn't that great.

Chicago pizza is awesome. I wouldn't say I like it better or worse, it's just completely different. There are times when I'm in the mood for a NY Style Pizza, and times when I want a Chicago Style Pizza (and for those who haven't been to Chicago, "Uno's Chicago Grill" is NOT the real deal). They're just that different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:35 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,450 times
I bet Chicago pizza is nice and big and beefy. I've never had it.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I wouldn't say, "New England." New Haven for example has just as good New York style pizza as New York and New Haven is New England.
Some debate if New Haven really is New England...I like it so I'm happy to claim it, but it's kind of Metro North-Yankees country.

New Haven pizza is kind of a different animal. It's a little thinner crust than the typical NYC street slice. And for the best of it, you can't just walk off the street and order a slice, you've got to sit down and get a whole pie.

My favorite thing about New Haven pizza (other than the taste!) is the way they don't try very hard to make the pies actually be round, and they just haphazardly cut them into lots of little rectangular slices of completely varying shapes and sizes, instead of eight equal slices.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:46 AM

4 posts, read 6,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acb200 View Post
The short answer is hell no.

T Anthony's and Crazy Doughs are good but they are nothing compared to any random slice in NYC.

You are right - that's the answer

Old 11-05-2009, 05:47 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
If you're in the mood for meat, the Pit Stop BBQ place in Mattapan is incredible. They're open on thurs, fri and Sat. Boston's Best Barbecue
I live like a mile from there but never thought to stop for my BBQ. Thanks for the notice!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 AM

6 posts, read 20,803 times
New York pizza is TERRIBLY over rated. New Haven and Boston have amazing pizza spots. Keep searching! Stay away from New York!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:41 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,185,254 times
I like T. Anthony's as well. You'll see the same pizza maker/owner?/manager? making them almost nightly, as 30 yrs. ago! Well, some young employees may make them, too, but it's usually him making the pizza! My friend from Westchester County (NYC area), and now Manhattan since 1984, loves T. Anthony's pizza. But I'm not sure if that means it's a rare NY-style pizza in Boston, or simply acceptable to a NYer studying in or visiting Boston.

YesYesYes, I do love Regina's in the North End. I simply order it for takeout, but the line to get in is a part of the ambiance, no? At least on the first visit. And I always hear that the N. End location (with its old, well-seasoned oven over the years) is the only option, that their food court version is a poor imitation -- but I've found that slices and pies are just as good at any of their food courts.

As someone earlier said, Hi-Fi pizza is not bad, but I go to Central Sq. in Camb. (unsure if it's the same operation).

Sicilia's on Comm. Ave. inbound near the BU Bridge has a nice spinach and mushroom, but the regular pizza is average. It's from Federal Hill in Providence.

At least Little Steve's at 1100ish Boylston is open 'til 3 am, and it's easy to get fresh slices asap or in a few minutes. It's a dive, and I've resisted for 15 yrs. after a then ho-hum experience, but now I'm glad I've rediscovered it, and they're serving late. I tried their homemade spinach, feta and onion pie in a flaky pie crust, but they only make it a couple of times for the week, and when it's gone, it's gone.

I understand that Woody's Cafe on Hemenway St. in the East Fenway near Symphony Hall offers a nice pizza, as does Anchovies bar/cafe on Columbus Ave. in the South End. Todd English's Figs (3 locations) offers a quality pie, I'd assume.

Picco (it stands for Pizza Ice Cream Co.) is a nice & classy and hip cafe in the South End, but their $$ pie disappointed.

Glad to hear about Pizza Rico and Pizza Romano. Never heard about them, but will check them out. Not sure which neighbrhoods, but I'll look it up.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:41 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbern View Post
New York pizza is TERRIBLY over rated. New Haven and Boston have amazing pizza spots. Keep searching! Stay away from New York!!!
Totally! I find it annoying when people visit or move to a different city/state and complain that their old towns "insert food/beverage/whatever" is better blah, blah. Had a bunch of roommates in college that were all from NY/NJ and all they complained about was how much this wasn't like NY and that wasn't like NJ... Obnoxious. Visited NYC many times and do have to agree, in my opinion, that the pies are overrated. I'll take a "House Of Pizza" slice and time. Let's just face it, Boston/New England isn't know for it's pizza(even though there are TONS of great places all over). So anyway, no it doesn't compare because it's all different. From neighborhood to neighborhood, town to town, state to state. It would be really sad if all pizza tasted like NY pizza!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Some debate if New Haven really is New England...I like it so I'm happy to claim it, but it's kind of Metro North-Yankees country.

New Haven pizza is kind of a different animal. It's a little thinner crust than the typical NYC street slice. And for the best of it, you can't just walk off the street and order a slice, you've got to sit down and get a whole pie.

My favorite thing about New Haven pizza (other than the taste!) is the way they don't try very hard to make the pies actually be round, and they just haphazardly cut them into lots of little rectangular slices of completely varying shapes and sizes, instead of eight equal slices.
I know... I have a hard time calling New Haven, "New England." I mention it because it's technically part of New England even though it's aligned much more with New York City.

I don't like that there isn't much by the slice, but it's just fantastic. Sally's is my favorite spot in New Haven (haven't been to too many though). It's far and away the best pizza I've had in New England (Antonio's in Providence really is excellent too though).

Old 11-09-2009, 07:05 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,348 times
I agree with Franklin42 that pizza is different from neighborhood to neighborhood, town to town and state to state, NO doubt about it.

With me there's nothing (& I mean nothing) like the Pizzeria Regina on Thatcher Street in the North End and Santarpio's in East Boston, (plain) cheese pizza's! I moved out of state and eventually get a couple of brother in laws and one of them grew up on, get this, Papa Gino's & Pizza Hut's pizza! Talk about pizza and people's background with it all, so trust me he's not fussy then right? With whatever you put in front of him!

North of Boston where I worked every one kept telling me about Triple E bakery's pizza. It's the bakery square sliced up pizza's. Well now I love this style of it, yet not when you bring it home and put it in your own oven as it's SO much better when you get it right out of their oven instead. In fact, that's strictly how to enjoy pizza around here. It's the same thing when you go to the original Regina and not one of the chains, it's better at the one in the North End due to their old ovens they use. Yet, get a slice of Regina pizza in one of the Malls some where and it's NOT the same and I don't care what any one says, it's definitely not the same. I think the secret is the temperature of their ovens. I know that the oven used in the North End was the same one that was there when my mother was a kid, so that's there best kept secret let out!

I tried Bertucci's recently & it was for the first time believe it or not and I liked their pizza a lot, BUT I wouldn't rave about there's where it's covered with chicken, broccoli and all that jazz all over it, and, like I said there's nothing like the Regina's and/or Santarpio's PLAIN CHEESE PIZZA any where and when you grew up on that style of wonderful pizza, same as you guys in NY/NJ & CT then there's no comparison, am I right! Sorry to say I've never had NY, NJ or CT's pizza, but I have heard there's no comparison to ours in New England, I'll have to try it some day soon!

Another thing about this issue before I forget about this, CT is considered part of NY to me too and not New England! I have a brother in law from CT and he's a NY fan all the way and will always be. This very important matter doesn't ever leave you! With him, he came from CT and that's how it was he said in most of the state; according to him and his sisters; and to this day he's a NY fan all the way. Well, it's a good thing he only has sister in laws up here, we could care less! Hey, whatever floats your boat is what we always say around here with that issue.

Last edited by CityGirl52; 11-09-2009 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston