Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:32 PM

17 posts, read 56,331 times

Advertisements

I live on the North Carolina/ Virginia line. My father lives in Carolina and my mom (and that's mama to us) lives in Virginia. Technically i'm a Virginian. And as to the emancipation, as far as I know, in every state you have to be atleast fifteen years old- and no younger. You have to hold a job, be able support yourself, etc. without help. Having your own place to live is a plus, but not mandatory. I still live with mom and her fiance.
I like that website, too. Did you listen to "Massachusetts Three"? Can you hear an accent?

Also, thank you for that link, it's very helpful. I think I have a Community College picked out if I find i'm absolutely set on Boston by December. I DO know i'm set on either Boston or Seattle, though. So it's a 50/50. I think both cities have lots of Positives. But, like I said I have a few months!

(I do declare you have been a might helpful there honey!)

I can't thank you enough, Ogre, you've been one of the most helpful people I've talked to!

P.s. Maybe when I go to college ct4life can edit my papers? I'm broke, though, so I might have to do an IOU, and you might have to wait awhile because my job is going to require a PhD :S.

Did I spell everything right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
I'm sure you've considered it already, but there is money available for bright young people to attend college straight-away, especially at the really competitive and well-to-do schools (i.e. Harvard). If you're really bright it doesn't hurt to apply for scholarships before jumping straight to community college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyVanDutch View Post

P.s. Maybe when I go to college ct4life can edit my papers? I'm broke, though, so I might have to do an IOU, and you might have to wait awhile because my job is going to require a PhD :S.

Did I spell everything right?
You'll do just fine here.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:14 PM

90 posts, read 209,483 times
haha yeah nothing was spelled wrong! Don't worry, I don't charge too much!

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:39 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Let the reason be unknown no longer. It's because that's how the town in England of the same name is pronounced. Reading, Pennsylvania is also REDDING.

What about WOO-bin, Lemminstah, PEE-bidy, Quinzee, LESS-ta, SITCH-oo-it, Glaw-sta, and the ever-popular Wiss-tah?

Good Lord, do I sound like that?! Know wonder these Mainers look at me funny when I say skollops.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM

118 posts, read 479,995 times
u will enjoy it and love it. yes the ppl might seem cold but most of us warm up quickly. dont listen to the negative things u read, its mostly from ppl who've had bad experiences. yes u will get some to but not always. u will have fun here and there are plenty of things to do. i can pretty much say with confidence that by ur 1st yrs end u will be telling all of ur friends back home how awesome this place is. i remember when i was ur age in boston i was having a blast. im 27 now. btw i grew up in boston but ive been in orlando, fl since 2003. ive met more rude southerners than "yankee" transplants. it seems us northerners welcome all walks of life whereas the southerners dont welcome any. but hey it might just be me and my experience.
but dont even think about it and just do it, u will not regret it. the food, the culture, diversity and the sports teams.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 PM

Suericio,

"but ive been in orlando, fl since 2003. ive met more rude southerners than "yankee" transplants. it seems us northerners welcome all walks of life whereas the southerners dont welcome any."

I have been to Florida, and as a southern person I can say Florida is not "the south". Sure, it's in the southern United States but it's never considered the South. It's just a really hot, humid, bug infested place, (sorry if you like it there, just my opinion) It's not the same as, say, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana. The Deep South. This is where you will experience that famous Southern hospitality. Also, you are the first person I have ever heard in my entire life say that people up north are nicer than those down south. Ever. And I know a lot of people who have been up there. And I really, really hated Florida. If you don't mind my asking, why would you CHOOSE to move there?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 PM

118 posts, read 479,995 times
i had to go down 2 take care of my fam, my dad is disabled and my mom doesnt speak much english(im asian btw) otherwise i wouldnt have left. but i am thnkful 4 the experience. im actually in boston right now til thnxgiving. and yes i do agree with what u said about the south.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Just signing on late at night. Haven't had time to listen to many of those recordings at that accents website, so I haven't heard MA #3 yet. I'll check it out.

Since I was so enthusiastic with my last post about encouraging you to move here, I do feel some obligation to also caution you to make sure you have a really solid plan worked out before moving to either city you're considering. "A dream and a dollar" is fine, but there's truth to the old saying that you make your own luck. It would really be in your interest to have the possibilities worked out before moving, especially with the reality that you would be living really tightly for a while without a lot of margin for error.

Okay, sorry to sound like your dad or uncle or someone, but I'd feel I'd been remiss if I encouraged you to make the move the way I did last night without also suggesting that you avoid approaching this impetuously. Not that it seems this is a problem--you seem to have things pretty well thought out--but just wanted to be sure to throw in that word of caution.

The issue of being sure you've got everything carefully planned does remind me of something I'm curious about. That would be how the whole emancipation thing works with regard to some of the basic tools of living on your own for which one usually has to be at least eighteen, not only in terms of legal status, but even something as simple as getting a credit card, for example. Does meeting the requirements for emancipation open these doors even if you're under eighteen? Just curious.

Aside from that, I think Suericio's suggestion is one to check into. Someone smart and diligent enough to be done with high school at your age might be very attractive to some of the big-name schools. Obviously no one can say this for sure, but it's worth checking out.

Other than that, well, you seem quite bright and ambitious and personable. Best of luck to y'all, and I've got a feeling you'll do fine wherever you decide to move, and whatever path you wish to pursue.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Default "Massachusetts Three" on the accents website

For some reason I'm having trouble getting this to download. Amy, if you were asking "Can you hear an accent?" because you didn't hear much of one, not being able to download and listen to it for the moment, I don't know. I noticed that the person's description said he was a retired Marine. If you're saying he doesn't seem to have much of an accent, I'm thinking that maybe exposure to people from many other places during a military career kind of watered down his accent. Someone born in Somerville in '58 who had stayed there all his life would have a strong accent in the family of Boston accents, I would expect. I dunno.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:40 AM

Hey Ogre !

Sorry you're having trouble! But, I asked because he DOES have an accent. A really strong one. That's why I was saying I enjoyed it so much. Yes, he's a "retiyad" (retired) Marine and talks about living all over the place like Japan and California and even out towards where I live but he still has an accent like Will Hunting...
Off topic, but thinking about Good Will Hunting reminds me of another really good movie situated in Boston, The Boondock Saints. Have you seen it? It's pretty violent and graphic but there at the end it makes for some pretty good debates about what is right and what is wrong. On the flip side, the main characters are two Irish Immigrants living in South Boston, which they make look like the ghetto, and there is Russian and Italian Mafia in it and I have no idea if the mafia is really there or if there are Irish immigrants or if South Boston is the ghetto. But it's really good if you don't mind violence and some pretty graphic stuff. You might also recognize some of your own stomping grounds up there as in the beginning credits they show the whole city. I remember thinking it was beautiful! I'd be proud of Boston if I were you. Geez :/, way off topic!
Anyways, I was asking if you could hear an accent because when I have downloaded the southern ones (ex. Alabama Ten), I find myself more listening to what she is saying, rather than giggling about words like "Haahvad"(Harvard), "Heyah" (here), "Peck" (pick), "Shugah" (sugar), "Aurdah" (order), and "Paulished" (polished). Sorry if this isn't that interesting to you but I love it. I've probably listened to it six times the past few nights.

P.S.- I talked to a lady I know(who is from over in Natural Bridge, Virginia in refrence to all these regional accents we've been talking about) and she gave me this advice about Boston; Don't look at anyone, don't smile at anyone, and try to flatten out your accent or people will be rude. But that's okay, I can take you guys. By the way, thanks again for talking to me and helping, I've been quite lonely lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston