Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 AM

17 posts, read 61,327 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a 27 year old single looking to relocate for Grad School. There is a program at Simmons College in Boston that interests me, and I was wondering about life in Boston. To be honest, not much of what I've read is positive and I'm suprised!

Here are some things about me:
1. I'm young, but I don't thrive on nightlife. I like it now and then, but I don't need it constantly.
2. I want to live in a metro area, as I've lived in FL all my life and am sick of the suburbs.
3. I'm liberal, so I want to live somewhere with a similar political view. I'm so tired of being surrounded by conservatives and having to just keep my mouth shut.
4. I'm young, again, but I don't want to be surrounded by the "undergrad" crowd. Is Boston just an overgrown college town like some people say? Are there older grad students there, like me?
5. I'm a Yankee fan. I don't plan on publicizing this, but will I get beat up if I mention it??

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacityjunke View Post
I'm currently a 27 year old single looking to relocate for Grad School. There is a program at Simmons College in Boston that interests me, and I was wondering about life in Boston. To be honest, not much of what I've read is positive and I'm suprised!
I'm surprised, too! What have you been reading that's negative? I mean, having lived in both MA and FL, compared to Florida the weather in Massachusetts is truly awful (the summers are less miserable, but watch out for the winters), but culturally it's a great place to be.

Quote:
1. I'm young, but I don't thrive on nightlife. I like it now and then, but I don't need it constantly.
There are some clubby areas, but outside of those, the culture here is really more about pubs and low-key areas to relax with your friends.

Quote:
2. I want to live in a metro area, as I've lived in FL all my life and am sick of the suburbs.
I felt the same way! I've never seen an area here that has the Florida-style low density subdivision/strip mall mixture stretching on for miles. <shudder>

Quote:
3. I'm liberal, so I want to live somewhere with a similar political view. I'm so tired of being surrounded by conservatives and having to just keep my mouth shut.
I'm used to having to bite my tongue constantly when visiting my parents in NC, but here I feel a little bit conservative by comparison.

Quote:
4. I'm young, again, but I don't want to be surrounded by the "undergrad" crowd. Is Boston just an overgrown college town like some people say? Are there older grad students there, like me?
Yes, definitely! In terms of housing, the undergrad population is pretty concentrated to a few key areas, and if you stay away from those areas, you won't feel like an octogenarian at all. For every BU undergrad passing out drinking every night in Allston Village, there's a 17th-year MIT biology PhD student sharing a duplex with 2 roommates in East Cambridge and salivating over First Fridays at the MFA. Everyone here has a student ID, no matter how old they are, and no one blinks an eye to see a 40-year-old flash one.

Quote:
5. I'm a Yankee fan. I don't plan on publicizing this, but will I get beat up if I mention it??
I wouldn't stand on the sidewalk outside Fenway Park shouting it at passersby, or wearing Yankees memorambilia in very sports-enthused crowds, but as long as you're not blatant about it, you'll be fine. I know a Yankees fan. He's been here for a good 4 or 5 years, and he's still alive.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:31 PM

17 posts, read 61,327 times
Thanks for the information - this was truly helpful. I'm coming to visit Simmons in November with my sister...can you recommend any things that are a "must see" during our 3 day stay?

The stuff I've been reading has been about how difficult it is to make friends in Boston, and how people are rude. I think it's just a misconception of Northern v. Southern personalities.

I am afraid of the winters, to be blatantly honest, but I figure it's a decent trade for the perpetual suburbs of Florida!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacityjunke View Post

Boston is probably a good fit, then. We have a lot of interesting things to do at night, but most of it is not of the loud, in your face, no escape from it category.
Quote:
Boston is one of the most urbanized cities in the U.S. Of major cities, only New York, San Francisco, and possibly Chicago are more densely populated.
Quote:
The only problem here with speaking from a liberal perspective is getting lost in the crowd of voices.
Quote:
Most of the residential parts of the city are actually far removed from the undergraduate scene. You might have to live slightly further from campus, but it's not hard to escape the sorts of neighborhoods that might give Boston an Aniaml House reputation.
Quote:
Not even remotely an issue. There are thousands of Yankee fans in Boston. The rivalry is quite intense, but most Sox fans enjoy meeting a Yankee fan, if for no other reason, than to spark a good argument.
Quote:

Thanks!!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM

118 posts, read 480,232 times
i grew up in boston moved to orlando, fl. to be honest the negative u get is from ppl who have experienced bad times in boston. to me partly due to ones self like any type of socialization. or could have not met the right ppl. there are really great things about this city, only downfall is traffic. also u will get that ppl are snobbish or not friendly which is not the case. but if ur a cool person and not snobbish or anything u will be fine. also it might be hard to talk to ppl at bars or places but being friendly and funny usually wins them over. since ur a sports fan u will love this city other than that ur a yankees fan. but u will love the rivarly.
honestly it doesnt look like these will be problems for u since u said u really dont go out much. so stop sweating the small stuff and worry about school and rent which will be ALOT.
and honestly ive met more friendlier "yankees" transplants than most southerners down in florida. southerners seems like they hate everyone that is from the north. we in the north except all walks of life and thats how we were brought up. boston is very diverse and lots of arts things to do. u will enjoy and have a blast. life is to short to be worried about the small things. experience, trial and error is what makes us good adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston