Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 03:16 PM

52 posts, read 91,905 times

Advertisements

Hi- We are considering spending the weekend in Boston with our 7 and 9 year olds. We would arrive Saturday early afternoon and leave on Monday. I have been wanting to visit for quite some time, but I am not familiar with the area. Can you please recommend kid friendly places to stay, things to see, etc. It would be great if it was walkable or we could use public transit. (We have taken the kids on the subways in NYC many times.) I think my 9 year old would love to go to the Science museum, but my understanding is that it is not near other sights we might want to see. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM

702 posts, read 3,003,518 times
Boston is a compact and walkable city. The Science Museum is on the Green Line (Science Park) so is quite accessible. I would recommend the Children's Museum (Red Line South Station or Silver Line Bus) and maybe the Aquarium (Blue Line: Aquarium) in addition to the Science Museum. In terms of where to stay, it really depends on your budget. Back Bay is where most of the hotels are and is quite centrally located. Boston hotels are relatively expensive. All are accessible via the public transportation system known as the T. So, you can basically stay anywhere with T access. Their website is MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:09 PM

12,581 posts, read 21,726,252 times
The Museum of Science is a great destination for the kids (it's also on the Green Line subway... "science park" station). I'd go www.mbta.com, the Boston subway, commuter rail, bus, water taxi web page, and check out a map or use their trip planner for more ideas. I don't know who told you the MOS wasn't near anything? It's an easy walk directly to North Station/ the TD Garden, the North End (Boston's "Little Italy") and all of the sights in that neighborhood (restaurants, cafes, Paul Revere Mall, Old North Church, etc) as well as the Cambridgeside Galleria mall... all within 10-15 minutes on foot from the entrance of the MOS. Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall isn't much further... 20 minutes on foot, but an easy 3 stops (Haymarket on the Green Line) by subway.

I would consider walking the Freedom Trail before you do anything else (weather permitting of course). The reason I suggest this is because it not only takes you to Boston's most historic locations, it also gives you a good opportunity to see the modern city and get a feel for its walkability. The freedom trail gives you the opportunity to locate places you may want to spend more time at later on. Best of all, it's free and it's at your own pace. Pick up a map at the visitor center at the Boston Common (where the trail begins).

The Aquarium is located on the waterfront about 2 minutes walk from Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall. It's a very good Aquarium. It may not be Atlanta or National Aquarium good, but it's certainly worth seeing. As I mentioned, it's an easy walk from just about anywhere in central Boston. However, it is near the Aquarium stop on the Blue line, State St. or Haymarket on the Orange, Gov't Center or Haymarket on the Green (you can get on the Blue at Gov't Center, and hop over to Aquarium, but it's an easy walk from Gov't Center).

The Boston Children's Museum is fun too. It's an easy walk from South Station (Red Line, Silver Line, Commuter Rail and Amtrak). 7 and 9 are good ages for the Children's Museum.

I know Art sounds boring, but the Museum of Fine Art (MFA) can be very entertaining for little ones. They have all sorts of history-style exhibits. There are mummies from Egypt as well as recreated Egyptian tombs. Artifacts from Greece, Italy, Japan, China, etc. It's not a bad family outing. It's also right near the Fenway (a park in Boston's Emerald Necklace) and an easy walk to Fenway Park. It's located at the Museum of Fine Arts stop on the Green Line's "E" branch.

Speaking of Fenway, I would suggest doing a Fenway Park tour if there are sports fans in your group. Even if you're not a big sports fan, it's a historic ballpark with a lot to see. You can touch the Green Monster and see Ted Williams home run seat. It's a good value. It's located just off of the "Kenmore" stop on the "B", "C", and "D" branches of the Green Line.

The Skywalk at Prudential can be cool too ("Prudential" stop on the "E" branch of the Green Line... also easy to walk from the Copley and Hynes stops on the green as well as the Back Bay stop on the Orange). It's an observatory on the 50th floor of the Prudential tower giving great views of the city and the ocean.

I would tell you too, just to walk around and see the city on foot and stop at whatever interests you. Boston is very walkable (in many ways, more so than NYC as it's smaller and more compact). Check out the Beacon Hill, North End, and Back Bay areas to get a real feel for Boston's flavor. Chinatown is fun for the kids to walk through as there's so much going on there. Don't miss Harvard Square in Cambridge (Harvard stop on the Red Line). Walk around there and maybe check out the Harvard Museum of Natural History.

The Arnold Arboretum is a free park with stunning views of the skyline and the fall colors. I'd absolutely go see it if you get the chance.

Salem is fun this time of year. There's easy commuter rail access form Boston's North Station to Salem (check the mbta link for more transit info). The House of the Seven Gables, Salem Witch Museum, Peabody Essex Museum are the primary attractions. There's plenty more. Salem is walkable like Boston so just explore on foot.

Enjoy your stay!

Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,155,178 times
Lots of good advice in the previous posts -- I would add a couple of things:

1. Stay in the Copley/Back Bay area. It's walkable, lots of stuff nearby, plenty of good hotels. It's a good location for a Boston visit.
2. Try to find a good hotel deal at hotwire.com. They have no bidding hassles like priceline, but you can get some great deals. Their 4 star properties are almost always excellent (Hilton, Marriott, etc.) and they allow for a search in the Back Bay. I always recommend a hotwire search for people coming to town because (as others have noted) Hub hotels can be pretty pricey.
3. If you're looking for seafood, eat at Legal Seafoods. Yes, it's a (mostly local) chain. But they still turnout some great chow-- you can't go wrong at Legal's. They have a location right on the harbour, near the aquarium.
4. Try to see some leaves -- they're spectacular this week.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,423,750 times
My two cents is to mention there is a nice little Tot lot in Boston Common, which is the heart of the city. Kids can run and play, there are lots of monuments.
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/2a8add5646decafe2a7d168fda0227155g.jpg (broken link)
You can also stroll the adjacent Public Garden - see ducks, geese and swans, maybe ride the swan boat.
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/3b78006f5a04fdb2d1ac08852c348dd65g.jpg (broken link)
You can then take in the sights along the Freedom Trail like the cool Olde Granary Burying Ground...

through Quincy Market where you have a fabulous array of great food to choose from

and people often literally bend over backwards to entertain you!

Once the kids eat you can continue your journey down to the waterfront to the Rose Kennedy Garden where the kids will find another tot lot to play at

as the adults enjoy the waterfront.

After the kids play for a while, head a few blocks north and see Paul Revere's house (1670) and then Stroll Hanover St (Boston's Little Italy) and make sure to go to Mike's for superb finger pastries.
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/e466bb8b5821966e50d283e3390dc8d65g.jpg (broken link)

If that's not enough for you, you could always go to Southie!

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/3c0df389ea5df728a93f6c7bb1b4f5486g.jpg (broken link)
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/4181d54b55d2f4c202dfcdeb4b43ad5a6g.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,442,144 times
Going to boston next week for 2 days w/ 2 kids on the way to grandma's house. Who needs fodors? Got all the info I needed right here. Thanks to all. This forum rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston