Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:42 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,939 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in Metropolitan Birmingham Alabama. I don't know much about Boston, so I want to be enlightened by y'all. I've been to DC, B'more and the Bronx, but that's about it for the urban northeast. I think Boston and its environs might be a little more refined than the aforementioned, but I'll pass judgment when I visit. But I wanted to know what all y'all think.

There's potentially a good job offer in the Boston area and that's a good enough reason to move, but also I want to move from the "Ham" to a big time metro, where the action's at. Do you think Boston fits that bill?

I'm talking about clubs, women, living the fast life, know what I mean? How does Boston compare to big-time metros that I'm familiar with like ATL, DC, Chicago, Miami, etc. Watching Paul Pierce pass to KG live would make my day, lol. But in all seriousness, is Boston too staid??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:38 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Yes Boston is very staid. All that fast life stuff is generally frowned upon in favor of history, tradition, academics, cerebralism. It's the polar (and polar is a good word) opposite of Miami. It's a great place to go to school, but except for the frats BOS is no wild party.

Sounds like you'd be better off in MIA, NYC, or LA.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:14 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
There are people on this forum that make it seem like Boston has no nightlife at all. This isn't true. Boston has great pubs (perhaps better than just about any city in the U.S.), some good clubs (Theatre District is the Club District), and some excellent venues for live music. It's a diverse nightlife and a pretty good one. Last call is at 2am which some complain is too early (there are threads about "after hours" places) but it's not unusual. No, it's not NYC, Miami, or Las Vegas, but 2am isn't much earlier than most major cities.

If you're looking for FLASHY nightlife, well, that Boston isn't. It's much more traditional. The clubs here are what I would call more elegant than flashy. "Proper Dress" is usually dress shoes, and a more traditional jacket etc. It's not necessarily a "trendy" dress style (not sloppy at all though), in fact, it's quite the opposite (very dressy, yet traditional). Check out places like Estate, Gypsy Bar, etc... very nice venues, but not the in your face flashiness of Miami.

The "pace" of Boston is much quicker than most cities. We drive fast, walk fast, and don't take too much time to just SLOW down (much to the chagrin of people who believe it's everyone's duty to wave at strangers on the sidewalk).

You'll find the culture to be much more staid. Boston has a great deal of wealth. However, you won't see the flashy sports cars or mega mansions. You can be at a local cheap ethnic joint having lunch and sit next to a multi-millionaire and not even know it. My grandfather was a very highly regarded Neurosurgeon for decades and drove a Subaru wagon because it was efficient, good in the snow and didn't draw unwanted attention. He's one of many with the same attitude.

The topic of women is subjective. Along the same lines as the nightlife stuff they aren't flashy. Given the collegiate atmosphere of Boston and the relatively high-wealth there are a good deal of very beautiful young women in the city. However, given the weather here (it's cold much of the year) and traditional culture, they aren't as "in your face" as you would find them in Miami, LA, or even Atlanta. I'd say it's better than Chicago in that regard, but not quite as good as New York (though the dress style is quite similar to NYC).

Boston may not be what you're looking for in terms of flashy nightlife or lifestyle. It's a good city, but I wouldn't call it flashy.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:33 AM

118 posts, read 480,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I currently reside in Metropolitan Birmingham Alabama. I don't know much about Boston, so I want to be enlightened by y'all. I've been to DC, B'more and the Bronx, but that's about it for the urban northeast. I think Boston and its environs might be a little more refined than the aforementioned, but I'll pass judgment when I visit. But I wanted to know what all y'all think.

There's potentially a good job offer in the Boston area and that's a good enough reason to move, but also I want to move from the "Ham" to a big time metro, where the action's at. Do you think Boston fits that bill?

I'm talking about clubs, women, living the fast life, know what I mean? How does Boston compare to big-time metros that I'm familiar with like ATL, DC, Chicago, Miami, etc. Watching Paul Pierce pass to KG live would make my day, lol. But in all seriousness, is Boston too staid??
---- u should be more worried with rent and where to live 1st and foremost. as it is not cheap! we bostonians are very much into sports, culture, and history.
the only cities i would compare would be dc as its somewhat similar from what i hear.
heres some info.
http://boston.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There are people on this forum that make it seem like Boston has no nightlife at all. This isn't true. Boston has great pubs (perhaps better than just about any city in the U.S.), some good clubs (Theatre District is the Club District), and some excellent venues for live music. It's a diverse nightlife and a pretty good one. Last call is at 2am which some complain is too early (there are threads about "after hours" places) but it's not unusual. No, it's not NYC, Miami, or Las Vegas, but 2am isn't much earlier than most major cities.

If you're looking for FLASHY nightlife, well, that Boston isn't. It's much more traditional. The clubs here are what I would call more elegant than flashy. "Proper Dress" is usually dress shoes, and a more traditional jacket etc. It's not necessarily a "trendy" dress style (not sloppy at all though), in fact, it's quite the opposite (very dressy, yet traditional). Check out places like Estate, Gypsy Bar, etc... very nice venues, but not the in your face flashiness of Miami.

The "pace" of Boston is much quicker than most cities. We drive fast, walk fast, and don't take too much time to just SLOW down (much to the chagrin of people who believe it's everyone's duty to wave at strangers on the sidewalk).

You'll find the culture to be much more staid. Boston has a great deal of wealth. However, you won't see the flashy sports cars or mega mansions. You can be at a local cheap ethnic joint having lunch and sit next to a multi-millionaire and not even know it. My grandfather was a very highly regarded Neurosurgeon for decades and drove a Subaru wagon because it was efficient, good in the snow and didn't draw unwanted attention. He's one of many with the same attitude.

The topic of women is subjective. Along the same lines as the nightlife stuff they aren't flashy. Given the collegiate atmosphere of Boston and the relatively high-wealth there are a good deal of very beautiful young women in the city. However, given the weather here (it's cold much of the year) and traditional culture, they aren't as "in your face" as you would find them in Miami, LA, or even Atlanta. I'd say it's better than Chicago in that regard, but not quite as good as New York (though the dress style is quite similar to NYC).

Boston may not be what you're looking for in terms of flashy nightlife or lifestyle. It's a good city, but I wouldn't call it flashy.

----- well said, i do agree that there are alot of ppl that bash boston. but like every city it has it ups and down, and its share of good and bad. but all that is based upon personal preferences and experience. example: 2 ppl moving into boston, same neighborhood but different personalities. they will both have experienced different things bcause they are not the same. one might like one might hate it or they both could like it but in thier own way.

but to the op, coming from the south u will find boston to be very different and pretty much the opposite of alabama. or any other places below the mason dixon line. boston is very diverse and cultured. u will be giving up chain restaurants and strip malls for authenticity. u will taste what real italian should taste like and the chinese food as well along with many other tasty dishes.

and as long as ur confident, funny, somewhat decent looking, know how to talk to woman and not a jerk u will be ok. and to the ppl doubting the boston singles scene here an old link 4 u guys from earlier this yr..

Methodology - Forbes.com

good luck on your journey, lifes too short not to enjoy what this world has to offer! and u wont regret it.

Last edited by Suericio; 10-12-2009 at 12:47 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Yes Boston is very staid. All that fast life stuff is generally frowned upon in favor of history, tradition, academics, cerebralism. It's the polar (and polar is a good word) opposite of Miami. It's a great place to go to school, but except for the frats BOS is no wild party.

Sounds like you'd be better off in MIA, NYC, or LA.

-- i think boston fits him well. miami isnt really a city in my opinion. the nightlife there is good though. but since the op is coming from a smaller city, going to nyc or la might be overkill and feel overwhelming.

there was this saying i read somewhere, in LA u ask how much money they have, in NYC u ask who they know, and in boston u ask how much they know. or something along those lines, although NYC and LA could be vice versa. that says something about boston.

Last edited by Suericio; 10-12-2009 at 01:01 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 12:16 PM

80 posts, read 265,087 times
Boston nightlife s-cks !!! 2am closing time s-cks !!!

Old 10-23-2009, 06:37 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
I only spent a day there so of course I'm no expert, but I think Boston is very nice. I could see myself living there if I hadn't already been ruined by NYC. Things will be MUCH different than B'ham but if you are into high culture and and not so much SEC football(nothing wrong with it) and feel that Realtree is appropriate for formal attire then you should be ok. I will say it's expensive. Possibly more so than NYC.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:50 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suericio View Post

but to the op, coming from the south u will find boston to be very different and pretty much the opposite of alabama. or any other places below the mason dixon line. boston is very diverse and cultured. u will be giving up chain restaurants and strip malls for authenticity. u will taste what real italian should taste like and the chinese food as well along with many other tasty dishes.
Unfortunate, this is the sort of attitude you are likely to encounter among people from Boston. As one friend of mine said, "If Boston were to break off from the rest of the country and float into the ocean, it would take the locals 6 months to notice." The city undoubtedly has a lot to offer, but so do plenty of other places--many of them far cheaper. And the locals are so high and mighty about their city that it may grow tedious. Yes it has high culture but it also has drab sports bars and ugly wooden tripledecker houses. I guess you pick your poison. I personally would take Philadelphia any day over Boston--it has more going on, is more relaxed, plenty more ghetto areas but the cost of living is supremely better and the economy feels a little stronger these days. (All of Boston's economic growth is in New Hampshire.) Anyone who feels the need to talk up Boston while talking down the South or any other region is probably worth viewing with suspicion...no doubt you'll see more of that on this thread.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:52 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suericio View Post

Unfortunately, this is the sort of attitude you are likely to encounter among many people from Boston. As one friend of mine said, "If Boston were to break off from the rest of the country and float into the ocean, it would take the locals 6 months to notice." The city undoubtedly has a lot to offer, but so do plenty of other places--many of them far cheaper. And the locals are so high and mighty about their city that it may grow tedious. Yes it has high culture but it also has drab sports bars and ugly wooden tripledecker houses. And places like Cambridge are really only diverse if you buy in to the notion that Cambridge is a spectacular place to live--but it's kind of a bubble that's fairly disconnected from a reality outside of academia.

I guess you pick your poison. I personally would take Philadelphia any day over Boston--it has more going on, is more relaxed, plenty more ghetto areas but the cost of living is supremely better and the economy feels a little stronger these days. (All of Boston's economic growth is in New Hampshire.) Anyone who feels the need to talk up Boston while talking down the South or any other region is probably worth viewing with suspicion...no doubt you'll see more of that on this thread.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Unfortunate, this is the sort of attitude you are likely to encounter among people from Boston. As one friend of mine said, "If Boston were to break off from the rest of the country and float into the ocean, it would take the locals 6 months to notice." The city undoubtedly has a lot to offer, but so do plenty of other places--many of them far cheaper. And the locals are so high and mighty about their city that it may grow tedious. Yes it has high culture but it also has drab sports bars and ugly wooden tripledecker houses. I guess you pick your poison. I personally would take Philadelphia any day over Boston--it has more going on, is more relaxed, plenty more ghetto areas but the cost of living is supremely better and the economy feels a little stronger these days. (All of Boston's economic growth is in New Hampshire.) Anyone who feels the need to talk up Boston while talking down the South or any other region is probably worth viewing with suspicion...no doubt you'll see more of that on this thread.
--- sorry to be off topic but i had to say something about this poster. attitude? its not an attitude its my personal opinion. so then u are saying what i posted was wrong. ohh please enligtended us, ohh wait u already did in ur post. yes all cities has its drawbacks but also has a good as well. i cannot be bashing the south if its not true. btw other than maybe atl, the south does not have a real city. yes we bostonians are very protective of our beloved city and walk with pride. all major cities have hometown pride. he wants kind of a fast life, and like u said philly is more relaxed than boston. i am simply saying 4 what he wants boston has what he is looking 4. and like i said nyc and la might be overkill.
the op is asking us on our opinions and advice. and in case u didnt notice the title is "Might be moving from Alabama to Boston" not to philly or any other cities including the south. please get over urself, this is just my personal opinion and u are entitled to urs as well. so if u dont have anything good to say or relevant please move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston