Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Yes, a train DOES exist; it's called the "Lake Shore Limited" and it stops just outside of Springfield, on its way to Chicago..

actually the train stops in Springfield,right in downtown at the Amtrak station on Lyman street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:16 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Yes, a train DOES exist; it's called the "Lake Shore Limited" and it stops just outside of Springfield, on its way to Chicago..
True. I had forgotten all about it because that train only runs once a day. The few times I would have needed a train to upstate NY the schedule didn't work. You do a search on Amtrak and, except for the one train leaving Boston around noon, they tell you to go to NYC and switch trains. I could almost ride my bike to Albany faster.

In any event, the Amtrak train is not an instance of Mass. state government neglecting Springfield.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,784 times
I think the odds of breaking into the IT field because of someone you know, or because of hands on experience are about as good as finding a job with a piece of paper. Yes, I'm saying that there really is no easy way to get into that field. Yet, those that got a job in the field and have kept their job would suggest otherwise. Kinda' like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:22 AM

If my phone interview goes well with the GM of the store I want to transfer to, then I will be making plans to move out to Chicopee. She may still want me to come out to her store and meet her, which means that I will have to purchase a ticket and take a day off work to do it. Being in Boston, I don't need a car, and as others here alluded, the train only goes through the Springfield area once a day (bummer). I don't want to get my hopes up, but I really like the western side of Massachusetts.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Please pray and cross your fingers for me, I'm going to Chicopee tomorrow for an interview with the store I want to transfer to If all goes well, I'll be SO GIDDY then in a panic as I try and figure out how I'm going to move to Chicopee and get settled in.......if not, I'll just stay put in Boston for a little bit until I can find a better situation.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 PM

289 posts, read 1,271,455 times
Quote:
If my phone interview goes well with the GM of the store I want to transfer to, then I will be making plans to move out to Chicopee. She may still want me to come out to her store and meet her, which means that I will have to purchase a ticket and take a day off work to do it. Being in Boston, I don't need a car, and as others here alluded, the train only goes through the Springfield area once a day (bummer). I don't want to get my hopes up, but I really like the western side of Massachusetts.
There are also buses that go from South Station to Springfield and back several times a day. That's how I used to get home from college when I went to UMass and had no car. There might be one that stops in Chicopee too--I'm not sure. Check the Greyhound and Peter Pan schedules. Another option would be to rent a car for the day, which might be the easiest since the public transit in Springfield/Chicopee isn't anything special--especially compared to the T.

Hope you get the job! I think you'll be very happy in Western Mass. Good luck.

Last edited by theh; 11-17-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks, theh I will be taking the Peter Pan (man that name is silly, lol) bus tomorrow to Chicopee.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 PM

What message of mine was deleted? My short term memory isn't the greatest, lol.

Okay, so I made the trip out to Chicopee and had my interview with the GM of the store I want to transfer to. She's a sweetheart, and she thinks I have a lot to offer her store. So, now we're waiting to find out how (and when) the transitioning will take place. As soon as I hear back from her tomorrow, that everything is good to go, I will be on Cloud Nine. If it doesn't go like I thought it would, I'll just stay put until I can find a better situation.

I really do like Chicopee. I talked to more strangers today than I have in the 10-11 months I've been in Boston. THAT says something, folks. People in Chicopee are nice! The sort of run down town look is just up my alley. I grew up in a state that isn't known for swimming in cash (Kentucky) and I really felt at home today with the normal people that were out and about.

Since I had some time to kill I pushed a shopping cart around for awhile in Wal-Mart, and picked up a few things. The people there are Wal-Mart were N O R M A L None of the pretentiousness that I see (perhaps it's just The Filter Of Misery that I put on in Boston) on a daily basis. One thing that did gross me out was seeing some cute chick vomiting on the road beside the sidewalk. A nice mixture of orange and green vomit.

But, yes, THAT is a town that I want to move to and stay put in for awhile. And, I am thinking about taking classes again and there is UMass and STCC not too far away. Some girl at the store I will probably transfer to has already offered me a place to stay in her basement for awhile until I can find my own place. I'm an average looking guy, so either she's just really nice (sorry, I'm jaded from past bad experiences) or I'll show up on a video somewhere on the Internet, stooped in a tiny cage suspended from the ceiling, with an upside water bottle and a trough full of chicken feed.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:50 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
I'm glad everything worked out for you (bus ride and interview). You sound like a very friendly, outgoing guy. I'm sure you'll have no problem making friends.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I'm glad everything worked out for you (bus ride and interview). You sound like a very friendly, outgoing guy. I'm sure you'll have no problem making friends.
We'll see how work goes tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston