Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 AM

9 posts, read 47,570 times

Advertisements

Hola-all,

Here i am again, with a (i hope) simpler question. I'm considering work opportunities in Boston, and at ThxGiving dinner the question came up, and produced an array of answers, but not definite conclusion

If i move, shall i enjoy doing a cross-country drive Seattle to Boston in January/February with an '99 Toyota Corolla?

Or, should i sell that, and buy a newer car 4x4 with snow tires once there?

do i really** need a 4 x 4 car for my Winters in Boston? That's what most people have? Isn't it an overkill? Or do I need to have snow tires?

i have no idea what type of snow, ice, sleet, or else Boston has...

[This is in the very likely event i'd need a car to commute to work, about 25 miles from Boston]

Thank you much in advance!
eliana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 07:33 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,504,939 times
Any front wheel drive karr (sp) with all season tires will serve you well.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 AM

12,595 posts, read 21,744,776 times
The Corolla isn't a bad car and would work fine out here... even without snow tires. In my opinion (though I HATE them), the Subaru Outback or Forester are really the most practical cars for this area. They're safe, AWD, fuel efficient, and spacious... not to mention affordable.

Anyway, front wheel drive is more than fine for out here. snow tires are not necessary, but could help. While we get snow in New England, the roads are relatively well maintained. What this means is that there are more or less 10 days per winter where there is a storm happening that, during it's duration, will make the roads messy. After it finishes (many times, as it's tapering off) the roads will be cleared. Even if there is a foot or more of snow on the ground, the roads are generally cleared right after the storm. I've lived in New England (Maine, RI, and Mass) for the bulk of my life. I've had one 4wd SUV, but mostly I've stuck with front wheel drive and my most recent car was rear wheel drive (don't have a car... I live in Boston now). I haven't had trouble with any of them.

It's really up to you. The snow tires and 4wd will make the few difficult days a bit easier, but front wheel drive and all seasons are more than fine. I doubt you'd think it was too difficult.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:34 PM

660 posts, read 1,535,104 times
Front wheel drive is to snow as iPods are to annoying riders on the 'T'

Old 11-28-2009, 01:44 AM

9 posts, read 47,570 times
To ryansdaddy: haha! Thank you much to both for the helpful responses...OK: AWD would be. And yes Irfox, i'm not fond of Subaru either ...at all ...however, must say that if compared to Audis [i originally was daring to wish the little A3, using the Corolla as an interim car - i've always lived in SFrancisco/Seattle...mild to a tad less mild winters] the what you get/what you pay/performance ratios are not comprable ....sooo sad but sooo true Oh, and i want to keep on driving manual .

Old 11-28-2009, 05:52 PM

289 posts, read 1,262,458 times
I had an entry-level '97 corolla (automatic) FOREVER in Massachusetts and that thing was a badass in the snow. Didn't slide once, not even on the worst black ice. I had normal, cheap all-season tires the entire time. Even though they're a small car, corollas are actually terrific in the snow. They're designed for all weather conditions. My fiance had a '99 corolla (a manual) until we moved away and he also never had a single problem driving it in the snow. Manuals are also easier to control in the snow than an automatic, so I think you'll do just fine with your current car.

Last edited by theh; 11-28-2009 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,380,540 times
I think you will be fine with a corolla. Unless it was a huge blizzard and the roads were not clear yet, well that is another matter. For the most part Roads are well maintained in the winter especially the main roads. Side roads may take a bit longer, so keep that in mind where you decide to live and what you drive. I know I had much better luck in Mass with a corolla than my Chevy S10 pickup truck. I had 2 accidents in one day with that truck during a terrible snowstorm. I should never have been on the road without having put weight in the bed of the truck. Thankfully they were minor skid accidents, but I could not make it home in that truck that day.

I think you will be fine.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 PM

557 posts, read 1,348,773 times
As a profesional driver for a very large shipping company I can tell you that alot of the information you will hear is simply opinion concerning what is "good" in the snow and what is not.

I have a 06' 2x4 Tacoma with rear wheel drive and manual transmission and it is quite good on snow covered roads. Factory tires as well. Infact during one of the snowstorms in 2007 which caused major disruptions , abandoned cars, thousands of accidents, the Tacoma was able to climb a steep 300' hill while other cars were sliding down it backwards (the whole length).

The Corolla is a fine car in the snow. My uncle drives one, a 2007, and absolutely loves it. I owned 3 Camrys in the 90s up until 5 years ago and they were all average to above average in winter conditions.

I say drive the little Toy as long as you can!@

Old 11-29-2009, 11:10 PM

557 posts, read 1,348,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
I had an entry-level '97 corolla (automatic) FOREVER in Massachusetts and that thing was a badass in the snow. Didn't slide once, not even on the worst black ice. I had normal, cheap all-season tires the entire time. Even though they're a small car, corollas are actually terrific in the snow. They're designed for all weather conditions. My fiance had a '99 corolla (a manual) until we moved away and he also never had a single problem driving it in the snow. Manuals are also easier to control in the snow than an automatic, so I think you'll do just fine with your current car.
strongly agree

Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 AM

38 posts, read 121,220 times
OK now for my 2cents worth... Well first of all WELCOME! As a Seattle native myself I can tell you that Boston is an amazing town and never once have I regretted my move here. I too did a lot of research on which vehicle to buy before moving. At the time I had a civic si and new the powerful sports cars would be rather difficult to navigate through the snow at times.

The two most popular car brands in Boston / New England is Subaru and Audi. I also found it less expensive [believe it or not] to buy a car where I lived [at the time it was Phoenix] and pay to ship it to New England rather than buy one here. Well the cost were basically within pennies of each other so why go through the hassle of driving when I can ship for the same amount... [I also have a luxury of having a spouse employed by the airlines and can get great airfares, not too mention hate long drives due to the fear of who will win the battle of my heavy foot vs the speeding tickets]

Now... anywhere else in the world driving a Subaru would prompt multiple lesbian humor, and truth be told here in New England it is the same - though not only do Lesbians drive them, it is also straight men, college kids as well as Lesbians.

Having said all that... I bought an Audi, it is German and I figured they knew cold weather! The Quattro is rated one of the best in AWD and I love it. I could not of found a better vehicle to drive, the a4 is a great sized car that gives you room for costco trips, friends in the back or to park downtown which the forrester is too long for cramp city life parking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston