U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 05:12 PM

30 posts, read 82,681 times

Advertisements

I'm a 35 year old single graduate student living in Cambridge. I've been here for about three years but now that I'm no longer bound to the campus I'm looking to move to another part of the area, preferably into Boston. I'd like to live in a walkable neighborhood with some cultural/ethnic diversity and also be within a 10-15 minute walk of a T station. I have a car too so relatively easy on or off street parking is a must. I'm looking to spend no more than $1200 per month for rent for at least a one bedroom, but a two bedroom would be nice. I've looked at Jamaica Plain mostly but recently Dorchester has gotten my attention, especially the Lower Mills area. Some friends have also suggested Milton and Quincy, but I haven't looked at those areas yet. Are there other Boston neighborhoods that might work for me? Or even some closer in suburbs or towns? What other parts of Dorchester (besides Lower Mills) should I look at? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:12 PM

4,862 posts, read 12,895,413 times
There's a "shipload" of threads already here, which deal with Dorchester in depth (if I do say so myself, LOL) as well as Quincy + Milton + other neighborhoods within Boston. But feel free to ask any specific questions you might still have after reading them. Urban neighborhoods have a way of going from nice to nasty sometimes within a single block, so definitely check in when you've found housing possibilities but are wondering about the surroundings.
Sorry for the relative abruptness to this response (when I'm personally [in]famous for going to the other extreme), but this same ground has been trodden dozens of times.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the response. But actually I was looking for suggestions for neighborhoods and towns other than the ones I listed, particularly ones that are walkable. Most of the threads I've read deal with issues of crime, family friendly, etc.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,825 times
One of favorite areas in Boston for being able to walk to everything that is going on, a quiet street considering you are still in Boston and a beautiful setting; is Commercial and Fulton Street on the Edge of the North End near Columbus Park. Commercial is a wide street that does not get the traffic and congestion normally associated with the North End. Mass transit is near by. It is easy to get on and off 93. There is a great store at the end of the street "The Golden Goose", to pick up provisions.

We used to live on that block in one of the old warehouses. It was a great brick and beam condo.

A very cool and often overlooked spot

Good Luck,
Jay

Old 12-03-2009, 12:57 PM

385 posts, read 1,392,364 times
The North End is a nice area, but given the OP's budget, it seems impossible for one bedroom, let alone two. I wonder if Roslindale would be a good choice. It has some affordable places, is ethnically diverse and is mostly safe. Rozzie Square is maybe twenty minute walk from the Forest Hills T, but lots of buses go there, and there's also a commuter rail stop. I think parking would be doable, since most people in the neighborhood have cars.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:59 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,746,114 times
I was thinking Roslindale, too. It is definitely within the budget, has lots of walkable amenities, and fairly decent parking availability. I think the one downside is the distance to Forest Hills. The buses are quite serviceable to quickly get there when traffic is light, but the Washington St. buses are a painful experience at 5:00 in the afternoon as they slowly crawl the mile to Rozzie Square. Of course the commuter rail is a nice alternative if slightly more expensive.

There are lots of places in Dorchester that are nice, I'd certainly recommend giving Dot a look. Another possibility is Fort Hill in Roxbury. It is safe, filled with beautiful house, spectacular views, and only about 10 minutes walk to Roxbury Crossing. However, it may be more residential than the OP wants. I don't think there are many stores you can easily walk to in that neighborhood.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 PM

385 posts, read 1,392,364 times
The other issue with Fort Hill is that even though the neighborhood itself is safe, the subway station can sometimes be dodgy at night. Some (not all) areas of Dorchester may have this problem too.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the tips! So far, I've narrowed my Dorchester options down to Adams Village and Lower Mills, both of which seem very nice and walkable. And I'll definitely take a look at Roslindale now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston