Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times

Advertisements

[quote][quote=LeavingMA;11982684]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

Well, as anyone knows stats can be manipulated and can say whatever you want them to. You also have to realize that states with a higher black population won't score as well because blacks tend to have worse diets and don't live as long as white people, and that is a stat. So states like Alabama, Mississippi, etc., will not score as high as Vermont, Minnesota, or MA.
We are talking about overall obesity affecting the attractiveness of a population. Are blacks not a part of the population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 AM

14 posts, read 52,627 times
I find it hard to believe that someone would say there aren't a lot of attractive women in Boston. Maybe not so much in the suburbs, but what would you expect? With that said, it seems that the attractive girls in the south are hotter. I think a big part of that is their more outgoing personalities and nicer dispositions. To say that some Boston girls are icy is an understatement. It's not a great place to be single, but there are a lot of worse places.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:19 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
This is one of the reasons I left Boston, soooooo many people are sooooooo negative towards the city they live in. I got so sick of the belly aching. Jesus. ad nauseum.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:52 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
This is one of the reasons I left Boston, soooooo many people are sooooooo negative towards the city they live in. I got so sick of the belly aching. Jesus. ad nauseum.
The negativity is coming from those who aren't even from Boston. I love Boston, and I love Boston girls. I'll take a street smart chick from Southie or Revere over a southern girl anyday!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:51 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS_1966 View Post
I find it hard to believe that someone would say there aren't a lot of attractive women in Boston. Maybe not so much in the suburbs, but what would you expect? With that said, it seems that the attractive girls in the south are hotter. I think a big part of that is their more outgoing personalities and nicer dispositions. To say that some Boston girls are icy is an understatement. It's not a great place to be single, but there are a lot of worse places.
I agree with the southern women, but overall for a city of Boston's size I just don't find the girls there that attractive. Sure there are attractive women there, but just not a good percentage. Even the girls that are just ok looking act they are gorgeous and can be quite snobby.

Honestly, I've seen better looking girls at places in Worcester and Providence than Boston. I just always got the impression that girls in Boston want everything. I think it is nice to want a great guy, but they don't give most guys a chance. Granted, I've also seen a lot of creepy guys so the girls in Boston have to be quite defensive.

And to the person who mentioned that blacks are part of the population...I completely agree and wasn't trying not to include them. I was just pointing out that states with a higher black population will rank lower on that stupid "fit" state thing. So saying that girls in Boston are more fit isn't necessarily true.

Girls from the south are a lot smarter than New Englanders or northerners give them credit for. If you talk to them they know with their accent people already deduct IQ points just because of that.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:05 AM

6 posts, read 16,635 times
I disagree with a lot of comments in this thread. There are a lot of very pretty girls in Boston. I'd say more than the national average.

However, the one thing I didn't like when I went to college there, was the entitlement of Boston women. It seemed that every average (to below average) girl thought it was their god-given right to date guys like Brad Pitt and Tom Brady. Most average girls wouldn't give an average guy the time of day. That was my impression living in beantown a few years back.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
There's a weird weathered & beaten down look that a lot of Bostonians have that makes them less attractive. People just seem more unhappy here than they do in Austin or LA. My husband has pointed out women who he says would be hot if they didn't look so miserable and/or weathered. It really depends on where you are, though. I just spent a month in Malden (or "hell" as I now call it). MAN, there are some ugly miserable people in Malden. (And I grew up there! Has it gotten worse? Or have I just been away for so long that I forgot?) I moved to Arlington, and people seem nicer & happier here.

And, you can generally tell a Bostonian by their accent. (for the person who said "maybe they're from Florida!")

My husband has noticed that every other person here has a limp or a broken foot as well (yes, that's an exaggeration). It's become a game with us "BROKEN FOOT! BROKEN FOOT! Twelve O'Clock!"

My mother-in-law & sister-in-law just visited from Chicago and it was REALLY funny to watch them try to figure out what people here are saying.

Bostonian: "Grab that cheeah."

mom: "What?"

Bostonian: "The cheeah. Grab that cheeah foah me willyah?"

mom: "I'm sorry... I..." (looks at me helplessly)

me: "She wants you to hand her the chair."

mom: "OH! The chair!! I though she as talking about a Chia Pet!"

HAH!
While I agree with the Boston accent being a bit harsh on the ears, I think its great that people from the area sound the way they do. I suppose I could go around trashing the southern accent I hear on a daily basis but I like the differences that go with each part of the country. Overall though your post sounds more condescending than humorous. Perhaps you'd enjoy an environment where we all sounded like robots and looked like Ken and Barbie dolls. That must be what its like where you live in Austin. LOL

Old 12-14-2009, 08:28 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
While I agree with the Boston accent being a bit harsh on the ears, I think its great that people from the area sound the way they do. I suppose I could go around trashing the southern accent I hear on a daily basis but I like the differences that go with each part of the country. Overall though your post sounds more condescending than humorous. Perhaps you'd enjoy an environment where we all sounded like robots and looked like Ken and Barbie dolls. That must be what its like where you live in Austin. LOL
I was born, raised, and currently live in Boston, actually. I lived in Austin for a year. LOTS of different accents there, actually.

How come your saying the Boston accent is harsh on the ears is totally ok, but my gently poking fun of it (I've been surrounded by it my whole life) is condescending? Heck, my MOM (who has a MASSIVE Boston accent) was recently making fun of Julianne Moore's Boston accent recently on '30 Rock."

The thing I liked about Austin is that they DIDN'T look like Ken & Barbie dolls. As I mentioned previously, a lot of the women there had tattoos & pink hair. I liked it. If anything, a lot of Bostonians look more Ken-like, which I'm NOT into. I like diversity.

And before you tell me to move back to Austin, I was only responding to what you wrote to me. I love Boston and I love being back home. Also, I'm liking the people (looks-wise and attitude-wise) in Arlington MUCH more than in Malden. I lived in Malden for a little over a month recently (and grew up there) and it was depressing as hell. A lot of people there just sort of look (and act) like they've given up on life.

This is not just my opinion. A lot of people I've talked to (mostly real estate agents) have mentioned about Malden going "downhill" in the past 10 years or so. Sad.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:15 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Reading this thread has been quite amusing. I am a Floridian but like many, spent a few years in Boston for school. I can say without a doubt that the proportion of attractive women in FL is much higher than Boston and the level of "hotness" here is also much higher. Many average women I see on the streets of Orlando, Tampa and Miami would be a pretty big deal in Boston. That being said, Boston is far from an ugly city. I thought there were plenty of attractive women in Boston, just not as many percentage wise. And of course, the look is much different. The women in general are more conservative in dress and appearance, but I found it very attractive. Weather has alot to do with also. Location is also a big part. If you're in the student areas you will see some very attractive young women. If you're in Dorchester at the local dive bar maybe not so much. I may be biased, but school has alot to do with also. Northeastern had some very good looking people occupying the Symphony/Copely area. Cambridge, not so much.

As far as the make up comment, I can't really agree with that. I actually see more women here with way too much make up on.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:51 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooDarnHumid View Post
I disagree with a lot of comments in this thread. There are a lot of very pretty girls in Boston. I'd say more than the national average.

However, the one thing I didn't like when I went to college there, was the entitlement of Boston women. It seemed that every average (to below average) girl thought it was their god-given right to date guys like Brad Pitt and Tom Brady. Most average girls wouldn't give an average guy the time of day. That was my impression living in beantown a few years back.
I thought of the Brad Pitt/Tom Brady thing also. The funny part is I've heard lots of stories that when Tom Brady used to go to the clubs and bars (before anyone knew who he was) girls wouldn't give him the time of day.

If your a Boston girl that thinks that your going to get some celebrity, well you should realize that those guys are going to date other celebrities or the prettier southern women. Anyone here been to an SEC football game or school...then tell me who has prettier women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston