Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 PM

48 posts, read 117,104 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering something. This is more for the people who moved to the Boston area than the people who grew up there. How are the attitudes of Bostonians towards implants? I know in some places, if you are an implant, you are basically treated as a 3rd class citizen. Are they friendly towards implants or does it take a little to warm up to you, and you have to show that you are going to be there more than a couple of years? I guess that if you are originally a bostonian then how do you treat implants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 04:15 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Well the word is "transplant", not "implant". Transplants, like me, are people who come from somewhere else. Implants - well I like them too.

Bostonians have been used to transplants for 400 years. Bostonians generally behave in the way that is "proper". You will be treated as a guest properly should be treated. Since transplants are known to come an go, you won't be immediately seen as family, but if you stay there 15 years like I did, you will eventually get access to lasting relationships.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:47 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
There are many transplants in the area. It is a fact of contemporary American civilization that many of us travel the country to follow work, love, education, and so on.

If a provincial Bostonian acts snooty, assumes they're better than you based on zero information and seems to think they're living in a Henry James novel, just brush it off and find someone more pleasant, polite, and more in tune with the modern world.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:38 PM

Sorry, transplants. I meant Implants, as in being implanted in. Although, I do like the medical version as well.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:50 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
Are you an android? 'Cuz "implant" used this way makes me think of science fiction.

"JasonandAmelia," Commandant Sparks said, "Mars Council had recommended that you be implanted in Boston immediately to report on subversive activity. Report to the bridge immediately with hydrogozone canisters because temperatures dip below 32 degrees in that sector."

Yes. I did eat too many peanut butter cups tonight.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:36 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
When I moved to "Beantown" (nobody here uses that word!) for college in 1978, I was warned that I won't be accepted if not from New England. Well, that was an entirely different Boston then. Now, I assume it's a bit less provincial due to an entire generation of international students studying here, then settling here.

I've heard and read (here and elsewhere) time and again about how elitist, snooty, snobby, parochial, provincial, rude, and cold peope are here. I assume they mean locals, but it could also apply to transplantsa; after all, one doesn't always know in modern Boston if someone's "from here." NOT everyone growing up in Boston or anywhere in the state has a Boston accent! Thus, it's not always obvious. I've met several people over the years who, after talking with them for 15 minutes, I had no idea they grew up within 20 miles of Boston (no accent). And, they were very pleasant (see, a local is not always rude or snobby here!).

Furthermore, I was checking under my hood in cold weather in a local Quincy supermarket lot, and an older white man approached and asked if I needed a jumpstart. If he's white and over 50 in Quincy, he's probably from there, with the accent. Another pleasant Bostonian story...see!

Although, I have heard a few incidents about people here for a week or two on business, or newly relocated and not being asked to dinnere by co-workers...supposedly unheard of in some parts of America.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 AM

12,842 posts, read 22,014,769 times
I'm not originally from Boston either. I'd say the posts so far fairly sum up my experience. Bostonians aren't known as the most outgoing, expressive bunch to begin with. The pace is quick, and if you get in the way, people let you know about it.

Furthermore, Boston is quite transient. Many come here and live for a few years and leave. It takes a while (longer than most places) to make some serious friendships because of this. Many transplants HATE Boston because of this. It's not the place to move to if you want everyone walking by you on the street to smile and wave or if you want all of your new coworkers to immediately accept you into their personal lives. It takes time, but that's just how it is. I found it to be worth it.

I still think Boston is easier to move to than other New England areas. I have lived in Providence and Portland, Maine. Both of those towns are much more difficult to establish yourself in as a transplant due to the incredibly high local contingent. In both of those towns (Portland more so than Providence) many of those people have been there their entire lives and it's difficult to break into social circles. I've found Boston to be much easier than those two places. I've also found Boston a bit more difficult to make friends than in Washington D.C.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:34 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
There are two pretty distinct circles I've noticed in the Boston area--the educated/professional circles where almost everyone is a transplant (not to say locals aren't educated, but at Harvard/MIT high-tech companies most people are transplants) and the local/townie circles where most people are local. I haven't had problems integrating with either, but it might be in part because I have an Irish surname and a pretty bland accent so most people assume I'm from here.

On another note, the OP was one of the better laughs I've gotten on city-data. I don't know the general attitude toward implants around here but I'd guess they'd play better in LA or Miami.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:16 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Today in Southie (South Boston) around W. Broadway and E. Broadway while doing errands on my way to work:

A jogger kind of apologized as he thought he got in my way; someone saying "excuse me" near the door of Teriyake (sp?) House as we squeezed thru the door; a local (?) young guy thanking me at Tesdeschi market as I held the door knowing someone was following me (I never looked at him although I knew someone was there); kind enough immigrant merchants at the dollar sore.

However, as I walked the side streets of Southie, I didn't expect eye contact or a nod/hello from me or them, even though we could have passed closely on the sidewalk. Again, a mix of locals and yuppies in Southie, so it's sometimes obvious who's from here, but not always.

I noticed a nice neighborhood feel on the streets last night in Southie, with people awaiting trick or treaters on their steps...even saw two dogs in costume at separate locales.

I feel awkward not saying "hi" or making eye contact on the sidewalks, whether 6 am or 6 pm, but in a way I cherish the anonymity of city life, although always happy to help with directions or recommendations. Plus, it would seem creepy to her if I, almost 50, made eye contact with a young female. I did not arrive until age 18 in 1978, but I guess I've adapted to the sidewalk mores.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:54 PM

That's awesome, thanks folks. The more I look at Boston, and talk to people from up there, the more I'm thinking that that's going to be the place for us. Just a few more steps till we would be ready to move, and those steps will just take time, and lots of it. So, for now, I'll keep perusing the neighborhoods, and keeping an eye on the real estate. Also, one last q about the folks. My so and I are both very loyal Dodgers/Cubs fans. Not to say that we couldn't root for the Socks, but it might take a little time for us. Is that going to cause a problem or would a bigger problem be that my so is an avid Colts fan, having been born and raised in Indiana. I have no prob rooting for the Pats but, she has some pretty bad feelings for that team. Hockey, we don't have any deep loyalties so we can root for anyone there, and same for NBA. Strangely she never became much of a Pacers fan, maybe because they suck. Any sports fans out there see some conflict there? I don't think so much in baseball, but I'm worried that if we move up there, and she is watching a Colts game, wearing her Colts jersey that she'll have to change before going out in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston