Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 03:30 PM

24 posts, read 76,329 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I have recently accepted an internship in Boston, and I'm trying to work out the details of commuting from my apartment in Worcester (I'm a senior in college).

So let's say that the bus I'm taking gets to South Station at 9:10. I have to take the Red Line from South Station to Park St, then switch to the Green Line from Park St to Harvard Ave. From there I'll take the 66 bus to Cambridge St @ Craftsman St. My office is just less than a 5 minute walk from there.

If work starts at 10, will I make it on time? Or to phrase it differently, how much time will I need to get from South Station to 129 Braintree St in Allston? I am somewhat familiar with the city, but I've never gone there on a schedule before, so while I know the train system pretty well, I have no concept of how long it takes to get around.

Also, any alternate routes would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to figure out the shortest commute (time-wise) possible. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,686 times
I think you'd do better staying on the red line to Harvard Square, then hopping on the 66 there. The Green Line out to Harvard st. is a long haul.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
I don't think you would make it doing the route you described. The B line is slooooow, plus, since you are at the mercy of buses, you can never expect things to go exactly according to schedule. That 9:10 arrival to South Station could easily be 9:30 on some days. Is getting a summer sublet in Allston at all feasible for you? You are going to be spending a lot of time and money for this commute.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks for your advice guys! Unfortunately I'm doing this internship during the spring semester, so I will be attending classes at the same time. Luckily, the internship is only two days a week, on Tuesdays and Saturdays, so I'm trying to think positive. Also, I plan on going into casting after I graduate, and this is a casting internship--from what I've heard it helps a LOT in getting a job in that field if you've had an internship. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother. So I guess what I'll have to do is find a bus that leaves earlier. Ugh I'm going to be starting my commute at 6am and spending $50 a week on buses. I'm going to take the commuter rail in on Tuesdays, but it doesn't leave early enough on Saturdays for me to make it on time.

Thank you for all the help!!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:32 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
This could depend on how close you live to the train station in Worcester, but I wonder whether taking commuter rail would be a possibility. Due to the various stops the train makes in Boston and Newton, this could offer you a number of options for getting to Allston. Some of these may be better than going all the way in to South Station and then back out.

MBTA.com > Commuter Rail Maps and Schedules

MBTA Commuter Rail > Framingham / Worcester Lines Schedules and Maps

Fare and Pass Information for Commuter Rail Service

Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 AM

Hmm for Saturday it wouldn't work because there isn't a train leaving early enough, but that's definitely something to consider for my trip in on Tuesday. On the website it says that that the stops go from Yawkey to Back Bay with nothing in between, is that right? I feel like I remember a lot more stops in Boston, but I'm not sure.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,686 times
Yawkey would be the best station for you to use. Get off there, then walk a block to Kenmore and take the 57 bus. The eventual Allston Landing station would be better still, but unless you re-schedule the internship for several years from now, you're out of luck on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston