Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:04 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

This past October I had live Octopus (called, "Sannakji") at a Korean Restaurant in Flushing, Queens that I saw on the Travel Channel (No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain). It was quite good and not nearly as horrific sounding as it sounds. Today, I saw the same episode and it got me wondering if we have anything like that here in the Boston area?

I'd really like to have it again and haven't seen anything like it up here. Does anyone know of a place that does have live octopus? if not, what's your favorite Korean restaurant?

Last edited by lrfox; 12-11-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,526 times
You are a disturbed individual. For a little taste of culture, you torment and abuse a living creature. I hope you get what you deserve, murderer.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn0178 View Post
You are a disturbed individual. For a little taste of culture, you torment and abuse a living creature. I hope you get what you deserve, murderer.
It's not really living when it's served. The tentacles continue to move because they are served quickly after the animal is killed by having its head split open and its brain removed....which if the writhing tentacles don't turn you off, that little tidbit of information might.

LR Fox- just tell me this...why? No judgement here, I guess I can kind of understand the novelty and curiosity factor but why would you want it again?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,765 times
Try Chau Chow City in Chinatown. It's Chinese and not Korean, but I was there awhile back and pretty sure I saw live octupus in their tanks. If not there, probably somewhere else in Chinatown. Also, try posting your question on the Boston board of www.chowhound.com - the posters over there are ridiculously knowledgable about food and restaurants.

ETA - Irfox - I just noticed your post is from Dec - let us know if you found the octopus!

Last edited by shiver; 05-10-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 11:15 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
Yes chowhound is the place for questions like this! The octopus sure must be fresh!

Favorite Korean restaurant was Minsok on Harvard St. in Brookline, but I think it changed hands and has gone downhill. We tried another one on Harvard St. in Allston, a big one, forgot name (you'll see it). It was quite good. Another customer recommended one in Newton, too. Good luck on your korean food hunt!.

Don't go to the Korean BBQ place on Beacon st. in Brookline--lackluster.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jen! You've successfully called an entire nation of 50+ Million People (S. Korea) "disturbed murderers." No, it's not really alive when it's served, it's just served so fresh that it's actually moving. No different than any other meal involving a creature that was once alive.

If you've ever read anything on how foie gras is made, that will literally make your stomach turn (because of the cruelty involved).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post

LR Fox- just tell me this...why? No judgement here, I guess I can kind of understand the novelty and curiosity factor but why would you want it again?
I want it again because it tastes excellent. It's not the fact that it's still moving that is appealing (in fact, that's the most off-putting part) it's just that it's SO fresh. Octopus is very good (you can get it in any sushi restaurant), but it turns bad and chewy VERY quickly. The light sauce combined with the freshness and tenderness is outstanding. refrigerated sushi-style octopus just isn't the same.

I didn't end up finding a place, but it's probably mostly because I gave up looking. I did enjoy it when I tried it, but it's far from one of my favorite foods. I'll try it again if I find a place that serves it, but I don't really want to go out of my way to try to get it again.

Last edited by lrfox; 05-10-2010 at 01:43 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 PM

420 posts, read 1,369,256 times
I'd be interested in trying it, I've had octopus before, but its always been wayy too chewy to be enjoyable. Maybe it needs to be fresher. Next time I see it as an option, I'll give it a shot

Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
I'd be interested in trying it, I've had octopus before, but its always been wayy too chewy to be enjoyable. Maybe it needs to be fresher. Next time I see it as an option, I'll give it a shot
I agree. It's a chewy meat in general. The longer it's been on ice, the more chewy it gets and the less enjoyable it is. I ask if it's been frozen or when it was caught before I ever get it now. The stuff I had in New York was pulled from a tank, and prepared, then served within a matter of about 10 minutes. It's NOT alive (only appears that way which is tough to get over), but it's super fresh and not as chewy.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:18 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

I want it again because it tastes excellent. It's not the fact that it's still moving that is appealing (in fact, that's the most off-putting part) it's just that it's SO fresh. Octopus is very good (you can get it in any sushi restaurant), but it turns bad and chewy VERY quickly. The light sauce combined with the freshness and tenderness is outstanding. refrigerated sushi-style octopus just isn't the same.

I didn't end up finding a place, but it's probably mostly because I gave up looking. I did enjoy it when I tried it, but it's far from one of my favorite foods. I'll try it again if I find a place that serves it, but I don't really want to go out of my way to try to get it again.

Fair enough. Thanks for the answer. Bon Apetit!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 21,652 times
Quote:
ibtl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston