Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 AM

36 posts, read 215,057 times

Advertisements

I was raised in New Haven, CT and have been to Boston before but am not familiar enough with it in order to know things. I currently live in Virginia and I HATE this state and HATE the south (so much more segregated and laws are ridiculous. I also miss the snow. The strip clubs aren't that great either because I guess this is referred to as "The Bible Belt" or something). So I'm trying to go back up north.

#1) Where are some cool, nice and upscale areas to live?
Price isn't exactly a problem with me. But I'd prefer to spend like $1000-$1800 a month on rent.
I just refuse to live in any areas that are dirty, unsafe, and have high crime.

#2) Are the laws as strict in Massachusetts like it is in VA due to the commonwealth aspect? (and no, I'm not a law breaker, I'm a good girl )

#3) How prominent are interracial couples? (I'm African American and Native American (and other stuff) and only date outside my race, personal preference and attraction)

#4) Where are some nice upscale gentleman's clubs in Boston? Also, where are some decent strip clubs? (I don't want to work at a dirty place) I am taking pole dance classes and have a very nice figure and pretty face so I think auditioning will not be a problem.

#5) By being an exotic dancer, will landlords be reluctant to rent to me? (I'm very well spoken and pleasant person. I also do attend college online. But will my occupation discourage my chances of being somewhere nice and will it bring up the typical stereotypes of strippers? or will they not care when I flash them cash equaling up to two months of rent or something)

Any other info helps too.
Thank you!! <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,842,871 times
Well, Ginger_B, I have to say this is a new one for me on City Data. So, okay, now on to your questions:

1) Nice areas to live: Housing in the Boston area is expensive. You may have to think in terms of the higher end of your preferred range for rent if you want a nicer area, though it may be possible to find something in at least a decent area toward the lower end of that range. In order for anyone here to be able to narrow down the possibilities, some more info on what you're looking for would be useful, such as the type of area you would prefer to live in (urban, suburban, in between; coffee shop and small stores right around the corner, or more open space; desire for access to public transit, or does that not matter so much).

2) Are the laws in MA as strict as they are in VA: For anyone to be able to answer this question we'd have to know what laws you are talking about. If you're asking specifically about laws related to strip clubs, they do serve alcohol in the strip clubs here, unlike some states, and there is some kind of private or at-your-table dance allowed, though I don't know the details about what is and is not legal or how this compares to other states.

3) Interracial couples: You're more likely to see interracial couples in some sections of Boston, and maybe a few inner suburbs, than you are in many more suburban suburbs, for the simple reason that the suburbs of Boston tend to be very white, so there are not many of the non-white people who would make for the possibility of an interracial mix. Aside from that degree of prejudice you'd likely find anywhere, most likely you would have no difficulty in the suburbs as half of an interracial couple in terms of people's attitudes, though the 'burbs don't have enough racial variety to make this a frequent sight.

4) Strip clubs in the area: I can't give you a lot of info about the strip clubs in the area. I went to college, and lived for a few years after college, in another state, so I was not in Boston during my prime years for going out with the guys to strip clubs, and am not so familiar with the clubs in this area. I do know of one place in Stoughton, which used to be called Aalex's. Here is a link to the website for what appears to be the same place with a slight change of name: Club Alex's. I went there once or twice quite a few years ago. At the time it was a nice clean place, though not as really fancy and upscale as I've heard some of the clubs are now. On the other hand, when I went there it was enough years ago that the trend toward really upscale strip clubs may not have begun anywhere yet, so this one may have gone more upscale in that time. At any rate, as I said before, it was a nice clean place.

Generally, I have the impression that you would be more likely to find less sleazy clubs in the suburbs than you would if you checked the few strip clubs still located right in the city of Boston proper. In the more extended Boston area, I've heard that Providence has quite a few strip clubs, but I know nothing about whether these are the nicer, more upscale kinds of places you seem to prefer.

5) Will your occupation cause problems with renting: The rental laws in this state prohibit landlords from refusing to rent to someone based on the source of the prospective tenant's income (assuming the source is legal, and you're not making your money dealing drugs or something like that, which does not sound like the case). I will caution you that I know from bitter experience that small-time landlords in some towns with close-knit communities of longtime residents, which can include the local police and courts, seem to feel free to violate their tenants' rights pretty much with impunity, so I would suggest that when it comes to renting, the big, faceless, cold-hearted corporation is actually more likely to be your friend than the old widow who owns a couple of houses she rents to tenants. Stick with properties owned by solid real estate companies rather than by individuals, and rent in nicer areas, and your legal rights should be pretty well protected. (By the way, you said something about two months' rent. In MA, be prepared to pay as much as three months' rent up front. Many landlords want the first and last months' rent, and an additional month's worth as a security deposit.)

Which nicer areas to look at takes us back around to your first question, and the additional info from you about the kind of setting you'd prefer, which would help narrow the possibilities.

Last edited by ogre; 12-13-2009 at 10:19 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 09:08 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,546,331 times
look to Providence RI for strip clubs. Most of the New england Adult nightlife takes place there. Atleast a dozen strip clubs there. Foxy Lady and Cadillac Lounge I believe are the two premier clubs that attract celebrities/sports players ect. Also there is Fantasies, Satin Doll, Desire, Cheaters, Balloons ect.(not too bad off top of head and i'm a gay male lol).

Old 12-14-2009, 03:22 PM

12,560 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
look to Providence RI for strip clubs. Most of the New england Adult nightlife takes place there. Atleast a dozen strip clubs there. Foxy Lady and Cadillac Lounge I believe are the two premier clubs that attract celebrities/sports players ect. Also there is Fantasies, Satin Doll, Desire, Cheaters, Balloons ect.(not too bad off top of head and i'm a gay male lol).
Hahaha not bad at all.

The laws in MA and RI (especially RI) for exotic dancing aren't very strict. Private dances (in Champagne rooms and at tables) are allowed as is alcohol. Full nudity (not just topless) is legal as well. In Rhode Island, prostitution indoors is perfectly legal (though they're trying to change that as we speak). I'm not saying you'd do that, but it could be something that may be expected of employees at certain clubs and is worth looking out for. Boston really doesn't have many strip clubs in the city. I think maybe only one or two? The Glass Slipper in Chinatown and Centerfold's in the Theatre District are the only 2 I can think of off hand. I've never been to either. Alex's in Stoughton isn't a bad place. It seems relatively clean and professionally run. A friend of mine worked there while in college and said it was a good experience.

Providence does have the most clubs. Not all are respectable though. Avoid Cheaters and some of the other ones. The Foxy Lady works hard to keep a good image. I have some friends who are still cocktail waitresses there. I know Cadillac Lounge is reputable, but I found it to be a little bit on the trashier side. Granted, I've only been to 3 clubs in New England (Cadillac, Alex's and the Foxy Lady), but Cadillac Lounge was the worst by a good ways. You can always see for yourself though.

If you want an honest opinion, I don't think New England is the best place to look for work as an exotic dancer. I don't think we have the kind of top quality clubs you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, some are fine, but compared to what you'd find in New York, Dallas, Houston, etc, I don't think New England would be in the same ballpark.

As far as the living goes, Ogre hit the nail on the head. I doubt you'd find any problems with racism, nor do I think your profession would be much of an issue (no more than it would be anywhere else, anyway).

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,546,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Hahaha not bad at all.

The laws in MA and RI (especially RI) for exotic dancing aren't very strict. Private dances (in Champagne rooms and at tables) are allowed as is alcohol. Full nudity (not just topless) is legal as well. In Rhode Island, prostitution indoors is perfectly legal (though they're trying to change that as we speak). I'm not saying you'd do that, but it could be something that may be expected of employees at certain clubs and is worth looking out for. Boston really doesn't have many strip clubs in the city. I think maybe only one or two? The Glass Slipper in Chinatown and Centerfold's in the Theatre District are the only 2 I can think of off hand. I've never been to either. Alex's in Stoughton isn't a bad place. It seems relatively clean and professionally run. A friend of mine worked there while in college and said it was a good experience.

Providence does have the most clubs. Not all are respectable though. Avoid Cheaters and some of the other ones. The Foxy Lady works hard to keep a good image. I have some friends who are still cocktail waitresses there. I know Cadillac Lounge is reputable, but I found it to be a little bit on the trashier side. Granted, I've only been to 3 clubs in New England (Cadillac, Alex's and the Foxy Lady), but Cadillac Lounge was the worst by a good ways. You can always see for yourself though.

If you want an honest opinion, I don't think New England is the best place to look for work as an exotic dancer. I don't think we have the kind of top quality clubs you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, some are fine, but compared to what you'd find in New York, Dallas, Houston, etc, I don't think New England would be in the same ballpark.

As far as the living goes, Ogre hit the nail on the head. I doubt you'd find any problems with racism, nor do I think your profession would be much of an issue (no more than it would be anywhere else, anyway).

Good luck!
I wonder if the Dark Lady errrr Foxy Lady (hopefully LR will get that) still does thier "legs and eggs" events for breakfast. heard they were quite popular.

but anyways, I agree about the quality of strip clubs (or lack there of) in New England. If I were you, said OP dancer, I'd b-line it to Vegas, stat.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,204,406 times
Hee hee, my mom once rented an apartment to an exotic dancer. She thought it meant the woman was a belly dancer. I don't THINK she would have cared either way, but I'm really not sure.

I live in Arlington, and I like it a lot. Seems very safe. Also, check out Winchester & Lexington.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:45 PM

3,075 posts, read 5,619,150 times
Quote:
Providence is where you want to go. That is where the high-end strip clubs are and where most people go to visit strip clubs. The laws are a lot less strict there than in Boston regarding strip clubs.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I guess you're just very knowledgeable about the local attractions, regardless of which ones you prefer to partake in. Actually, from what I've heard, the more upscale strip clubs in some cities now will often attract a bit of a nightclub kind of crowd, not just young dudes out with the guys to ogle the dancers. I've heard that even women show up at some of the better clubs now, so I guess there probably are some gay guys doing the same. Seems to me I heard a few years ago that at the time it was kind of chichi for celebrities of both sexes to patronize the better strip clubs in NYC.

As I said in my first post, the years of being the prime age to go out with the guys to strip clubs are well in my past. Geez, I'm feeling some nostalgia now, not just for the strip club visits per se, but for those days in general. Ah, the good ol' days.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Hee hee, my mom once rented an apartment to an exotic dancer. She thought it meant the woman was a belly dancer. I don't THINK she would have cared either way, but I'm really not sure.

I live in Arlington, and I like it a lot. Seems very safe. Also, check out Winchester & Lexington.
LOL! So your mother never quite knew what was going on. Reminds me of an old girlfriend whose cousin was a stripper. Supposedly their grandmother never quite knew exactly what the cousin did for a lving. I dunno, though. Some of those grandmas are sharper about these things than we give them credit for.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 5,119,929 times
I've heard that Portland (Oregon) has the most strip clubs per capita in America. Tampa also boasts of many, I think. Not sure if they're on the trashy side, though. Plus, rentals are cheaper, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston