Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,707 times

Advertisements

Newton alone fits your profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 08:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,877,336 times
Muzjiks33, what else are you looking for besides good schools? Some upscale towns with good schools around here have a low-density suburban character, some are kind of out in the country, and some are old streetcar suburbs with nice old houses on tree-shaded streets, and a lot of neighborhoods with local shopping within walking distance. Much of Newton fits the last description, but I disagree with the claim that Newton is the only place that fits your criteria. Which town would work best depends a lot on what you want in the way of local character, whether you want public transit, where you're working and how long a commute you can deal with, etc.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:19 PM

2,924 posts, read 5,154,155 times
I always mention Winchester in these types of posts. Such a pleasant and convenient spot, nestled between Medford, Arlington & Woburn. No tolls off Rt. 93, but a few miles from the highway so it's not overwhelmed with pass-through traffic. Actually closer to downtown than Newton or Needham, no? Expensive, and I'm sure the schools are very good. Near Sandy Beach adjacent to Mystic River (and Medford Yacht Club) and the Middlesex Fells Reservation for walks and hikes. Even has a country club. TWO commuter rail stations feeding to No. Station. Plus, it has a small but cute town center.

I love their Gingerbread Construction Company: GREAT muffins and cookies, of a quality that's hard to find many other places locally.

Any posters here NOT recommend Winchester?

I echo Milton's appeal; I enjoy driving around parts of Milton. Lots of established areas, and close to the Blue Hills. True, it connects to the undesirable Mattapan neighborhood of Boston, but the Governor lives in Milton, after all.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 PM

109 posts, read 323,536 times
Lots of towns can offer you and your family a good local for a Boston based job, but if you want the ocean nearby, then aim for north or south shores, otherwise you're pretty much open to anything within the 495 loop for commuting distance. Wellesley, Needham and Newton are on the 128 loop (much closer to the city), and close to the Mass Pike and Route 9. How far do you want to commute? Would you want to drive in, or can you take the train?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,785 times
Its not fair to say boston only has a handfull of good public schools. The teachers are really understanding about what its like to grow up in a tough place even if test scores arent great. The teachers are very dedicated.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:22 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,660,428 times
I'm not sure you're reading this, since I haven't seen a post from you in almost 2 months, but I'll chime in anyway.

You didn't give any indication as to what Westchester-like means, so it's hard to advise. Does that mean Yonkers (doubt it), Mt. Vernon (doubt it), Scarsdale (more likely), Bedford, White Plains, Port Chester? Well ... you get my point. If you're looking for a Port Chester-like experience, then maybe Chelsea or Everett is the best choice for you. OTOH, if you're looking for a Scarsdale-like experience, maybe Brookline or Newton is best. You should probably have been more specific.

In my experience, in a very general sense (and I mean very general), the South Shore and North Shore suburbs tend to be more insular than those in Metro West. There seems to be more of an in-flux of outsiders to the West but, again, this is merely an impression backed up with zero empirical data.

One of the later posters mentioned Winchester as a possible choice. Winchester is a beautiful town, very expensive and I have no doubt that it has great public schools. I have some significant business contacts there, so I've visited it a lot. My only critique of Winchester is that it is extraordinarily homogeneous, even for Boston suburbs, and it has a boring town center. There's not a lot of "there there", to paraphrase G. Stein.

If you're looking for vibrant town centers, with more diversity of activity, I'd look at Wellesley, Newton, or Brookline.

Again, don't know whether you're reading this, but I'd be curious to learn of your progress.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,758 times
I think Wellesley is quite a bit nicer than Needham. The Needham school system is way overrated in my opinion. You'll be able to get a bigger lot in Wellesley and from my personal experience Needham is a bit clicky. If you choose Needham you'll be responsible for your own trash pick-up, so you might need a Boston junk removal service, so that's another expense that the town won't provide... Wellesley does provide that service. Good luck to you

Old 02-16-2010, 11:16 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,281,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmanpete View Post
If you choose Needham you'll be responsible for your own trash pick-up, so you might need a Boston junk removal service, so that's another expense that the town won't provide... Wellesley does provide that service.
No it doesn't.

Wellesley is a beautiful town but has a pretty solid rep for materialism and snobbishness.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM

7 posts, read 13,074 times
The richest people live the farthest away.
All of us poor imimgrants live in suburbs right next to Boston.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,489 times
I have no idea what Westchester is like but I have lived in many different places in my adult life. I find Wellesley to be most homogeneous place with cookie cutter homes (mostly colonial) and cookie cutter people (competitive, self-absorbed and materialistic). Schools are way over rated. If you are used to places with diversity (race, economic means, interest, etc etc), I wouldn't recommend any of the metrowest surburbs (wellesley, needham, dover, wayland, weston...) Newton and Brookline is as far as I would go if I can do over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston