Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:50 PM

97 posts, read 237,561 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions. Firsto, is Boston even attractive? Is it a lot of Gay people in Boston? Is it expensive, and is it the oldest city in the United States?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,700,752 times
Here is the link for Boston that you can read Visitors | City of Boston as well as the buildings ~ http://www.greatbuildings.com/places/boston.htmlwell (broken link)

Does it really matter if there are are or are not "gay people"?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:40 PM

103 posts, read 299,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swejdid911 View Post
The reason why people drive so crazy in Boston is because they're trying to hurry up and make enough money to move far away.
Hahaha, that's what I'm trying to do, at least!

Good debates going on here, I like that people can handle the negativity in here. I'm sure there's a ton of people happy living here but I'm not for numerous reasons: professional, social, housing, commuting. Ah. I am trying to make it work but it's just not happening.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:49 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,071,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niandra View Post
Hahaha, that's what I'm trying to do, at least!

Good debates going on here, I like that people can handle the negativity in here. I'm sure there's a ton of people happy living here but I'm not for numerous reasons: professional, social, housing, commuting. Ah. I am trying to make it work but it's just not happening.
I understand the social, housing and commuting complaints, but what have been the professional issues?

Just curious.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:59 PM

103 posts, read 299,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I understand the social, housing and commuting complaints, but what have been the professional issues?

Just curious.
I cannot find a job. I've been here a month, the North Shore for the year before that. Nothing, not even a crap minimum wage job serving ice cream or bussing tables so far. I have a college degree (graduated last year from a top liberal arts school -- heh, my mistake there -- liberal arts "in this economy", how was I to know when I started there in 2006?), 2 years of admin experience between the temp work I've been doing on and off since graduating & a local government internship, 1.5 years at a hospital doing psych work. Less professional: some restaurant work and a lot of customer service experience as well. I've done just about every kind of job save retail as I worked through college.

I'm thinking of moving back to Vermont and working at one of the long term residential programs they have up there for chronically mentally ill people. That's what I'm passionate about. I've had interviews with nonprofits around here and so far, nothing, but I'm content to do most anything right now. My resumes have been in review at several area hospitals for months now and I'm sick of it. I'm about to go broke if I don't get something soon. It's really stressful. Several interviews this week and another one tomorrow at a different temp agency.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,071,620 times
Quote:
I cannot find a job. I've been here a month, the North Shore for the year before that. Nothing, not even a crap minimum wage job serving ice cream or bussing tables so far. I have a college degree (graduated last year from a top liberal arts school -- heh, my mistake there -- liberal arts "in this economy", how was I to know when I started there in 2006?), 2 years of admin experience between the temp work I've been doing on and off since graduating & a local government internship, 1.5 years at a hospital doing psych work. Less professional: some restaurant work and a lot of customer service experience as well. I've done just about every kind of job save retail as I worked through college.

I'm thinking of moving back to Vermont and working at one of the long term residential programs they have up there for chronically mentally ill people. That's what I'm passionate about. I've had interviews with nonprofits around here and so far, nothing, but I'm content to do most anything right now. My resumes have been in review at several area hospitals for months now and I'm sick of it. I'm about to go broke if I don't get something soon. It's really stressful. Several interviews this week and another one tomorrow at a different temp agency.

I'm surprised since you have some prof experience, induding the medical field. Lack of prof experience was my biggest hurtle after I graduated. Carriage collector at the Star Market didn't cut it.

Hang in there and think positive. Good things will come.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 PM

583 posts, read 1,319,250 times
lllllll

Last edited by Saltatrix; 07-28-2011 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 AM

132 posts, read 494,272 times
Career oppurtunities are better here than the rest of the country at least.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 PM

717 posts, read 1,049,748 times
Quote:

Boston is home to a number of top notch Psych, Social Work, and MHC graduate programs. As a result, finding a good job in the mental health field with just a bachelors can be very challenging. Truthfully, it can be very challenging even with a graduate degree.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:56 PM

345 posts, read 1,011,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
Career oppurtunities are better here than the rest of the country at least.
They ARE??? I don't know what you do for a living but I don't find that to be true at all. Are you young and have a lot of degrees??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston