Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:06 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,219 times

Advertisements

I never said there was a problem, I just thought that it was a little...outrageous. But you explained it in a way so that it's now clearer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriInNH View Post

$10 /hr is good money to you? I had mentioned working at a fast food joint, which would be pretty easy to get a job to start at a low wage ($10/hr). Just need no criminal history background. Minimum wage is almost $8/hr now, remember. I was thinking $20/hr personally would be "good wage" for his age, 20 years old.
Basically I was just saying the OP need not worry about the BOS economy it's fine. I'm sure you know there are places in the US where there are no help wanted signs in McDonalds Bri - maybe NH I thought by your post.

In the summer, I think a lot of positions are vacated by students who go home for the summer. As tourism explodes in BOS in the summer, someone needs to serve the diners.

I do wonder about what Casey said about the visa tho. You need to check that out OP.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 AM

11 posts, read 34,497 times
thanks guys for all the advice. we'll all be getting j-1 visas which allows us to work for up to 3 months and travel after.

was looking at moby dicks there. theres 4 of us travelling over so ideally we'd all have to get jobs in and around the same area. beginning to think cape cod might be a better area because there'd be alot of summer jobs there. whats the biggest town in the cape cod area?

also is there any big resorts or amusement parks nearby who'd be looking to employ alot of staff to increase our chances of working together.

cheers in advance

Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 AM

82 posts, read 287,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-rover View Post
thanks guys for all the advice. we'll all be getting j-1 visas which allows us to work for up to 3 months and travel after.

was looking at moby dicks there. theres 4 of us travelling over so ideally we'd all have to get jobs in and around the same area. beginning to think cape cod might be a better area because there'd be alot of summer jobs there. whats the biggest town in the cape cod area?

also is there any big resorts or amusement parks nearby who'd be looking to employ alot of staff to increase our chances of working together.

cheers in advance
The big towns on the Cape are Barnstable (which includes the commercial center/village of Hyannis), Falmouth, and Orleans. Hyannis and Falmouth are closer to the mainland and probably have more opportunities by virtue of their size. The Outer Cape (Provincetown, Truro, Wellfleet and Eastham) are a bit quieter but have sizable ex-pat communities in the summer. Chatham and Orleans also have seasonal opportunities. The Outer Cape has nicer beaches, if you're into that. Oh, and check out the Beachcomber in Wellfleet. It's one of the more fun places on the Cape, has live music, and it's open from Memorial Day to Labor Day only.

Cape Cod Restaurants; Wellfleet Restaurants: The Beachcomber of Wellfleet, Massachusetts, USA!

There are no amusement parks that I know of on the Cape (or I can't think of one at this moment), but there are tons of restaurants, bars, shops, golf courses, and other touristy things. Landscaping is also an option.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:02 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
There's Canobie Lake Park, in New Hampshire. I think that's the closest amusement park to Boston.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:20 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:

cheers in advance
Lots of Irish have already blazed the trail for you. It seems most of them have no problem getting jobs and Cape Cod is a great location for seasonal workers.
I dated one of you j-1 ers and had a blast but alas she went back and broke me heart.
Kate from Donegal, I love ya wherever you are!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 PM

11 posts, read 34,497 times
thats re-assuring to hear joshua.

this is probably just an ignorant view and forgive me if thats how i come accross but ive looked more into cape cod on this forum, and what does worry me is that alot of people seem to be saying, its a boring, expensive retirement community.

is that what people in this thread would say? if we're all a group of 20 yr old lads coming over would we struggle to entertain ourselves away from work. rent we could probably go as high as 1600 a month for a 2/3 bed but we'd be looking to be in an area that would have plenty of opportunities to meet other young people to hang out and have parties (due to drinking restrictions)

am i asking for too much do you think?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
irish-rover, the year round population has a lot of retirees, but in the summer it is a tourist destination. You would likely have no problem meeting people your age, either because they're working there, or their parent's have summer homes on the Cape.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM

82 posts, read 287,826 times
Quote:
this is probably just an ignorant view and forgive me if thats how i come accross but ive looked more into cape cod on this forum, and what does worry me is that alot of people seem to be saying, its a boring, expensive retirement community.

is that what people in this thread would say? if we're all a group of 20 yr old lads coming over would we struggle to entertain ourselves away from work. rent we could probably go as high as 1600 a month for a 2/3 bed but we'd be looking to be in an area that would have plenty of opportunities to meet other young people to hang out and have parties (due to drinking restrictions)

am i asking for too much do you think?
Heck no! There are tons of young people down the Cape in the summer. I used to go down the Cape when I was a teenager and in my 20s and hang out at the Beachcomber in Wellfleet, and several bars in Hyannis. There are a lot of Negative Nellies on this board, in case you haven't noticed. In the US, public message boards tend to be the places where people gripe, vs. offer helpful information. It's really a shame. Don't let them discourage you.

There are other beach resorts within an hour of Boston, like Hampton beach and Salisbury. They are not as nice as the Cape though IMO.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
I've never been wowed by the Cape. I don't recommend it from my experience. The Outer Cape is over 100 miles from Boston. Every time I've been out there it's been boring, except Provincetown - but that's a wild gay resort. Great if that's what you're into, but if you're not, you might want to be aware.

Hampton Beach on the other hand rocks. I can guarantee you a wild time at Hampton Beach, NH.

Seriously IR - my opin is if you want to meet people your age come to Boston and day trip to the Cape if you like. The action is in town for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston