U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 PM

16 posts, read 38,879 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone out there,

It looks like my husband may be moving us to Boston due to a great oppotunity with work. Although I am very excited about the proposed move i feel like i have hundreds of questions....I have looked at other threads so appologise ofr any repeats in questions etc.

We will be moving with our two daughters, 8 and 6, so a family area with great schools is a must. We are lucky enough to be able to afford probably $3000 a month on rent so hope this will give us more options. from my research i seem to like Newton, concord, lexington type of areas. Because we will have a zero credit rating to start off with we will need to rent with the view of staying in the area to purchase at a later date.

I would love an area where we can walk to most places ie: shops, schools, swimming etc. Also a friendly area where i could form networks, be part of clubs etc. We are from Irish parents so also look forward to spending St patricks day in Boston

Also for any other people who have done a big move such as this, would you reccomend we send our furniture and contents over (no electrics as i understand they won't work) or just leave it all behind and buy new. We have good furniture here and as we don't know if the move is for 2-5yrs or forever, I don't want to just go out and buy cheap furniture only to have to replace it in a couple of years.

Also on the electronics front, is everything, due to voltage etc, deemed useless..

I am sorry for the rambles, although i am sure there is more to come as i think of them....

thanks in advance
Shell
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,596 times
Hi
I think Lexington have nice schools for the kids, but I would consider Winchester too. I think you can find a nice house for that kind of rent and schools are great
When I came from Spain to live here I brought all my furnitures by boat, I thought I was crazy at the begining but now I am very happy that all my furniture are here.
Good luck.
By the way if you need help with the Real Estate I recomend you this web [URL="http://www.ybarrarealty.com"]www.ybarrarealty.com[/URL], that is my business.
Thanks,Javier

Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 AM

Thanks for that...so far so good..

Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 AM

Default Addition to my original quote.......

My husband has just come home announcing either MA or CT. Not sure at all about CT, apart from watching 'Judging Amy' and Gilmore girls I know the whole area is very pretty, i need to know which will better suit in regards to great schools, cost of living good neighbourhoods etc....
I really appreciate anyones input

Old 01-08-2010, 02:25 AM

Default Addition to my original thread....

My husband has just come home announcing either MA or CT. Not sure at all about CT, apart from watching 'Judging Amy' and Gilmore girls I know the whole area is very pretty, i need to know which will better suit in regards to great schools, cost of living good neighbourhoods etc....

Old 01-09-2010, 09:18 PM

109 posts, read 311,795 times
Wow! Will he have a choice of which state?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 PM

4,621 posts, read 9,974,204 times
The only good part of CT is the part near NYC. It's essentially a NYC exurb. That's why it's good because of the easy access to NYC. Other than that, meh. Hartford is hell, don't even think of it. Boston is great too. Newton is nice, Brookline is better, other faves include Cambridge, Marblehead, and Newburyport. But my favorite is Boston. Try the Back Bay or a high rise apt and a private school, You can't live better.

Brace yourself for the winter though. You have no idea!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 AM

2,954 posts, read 11,893,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell down under View Post
It would help greatly to know where in MA, and where in CT, the options are. It's hard to compare MA and CT across the board. I don't know Australia all that well, but I imagine it's like asking which of NSW and Victoria is better with great schools, cost of living, etc. MA and CT are both states that, while small compared to other U.S. states, are big enough to cover a wide range of locales. There are major metropolitan areas, down-and-out smaller cities, quiet rural New England villages, and quaint coastal communities in both states. Both states have areas (near Boston and NYC, respectively) that are quite expensive and other, rural, areas that are less costly.

If you're comparing the Boston area to Fairfield County, CT, which is essentially suburbs of New York City (except for Greater Hartford, this area has the greatest concentation of jobs in CT), they both offer many very nice towns with great schools, but which are expensive. I'd say the nice towns in CT are even more expensive than the comparable Boston-area towns. Taxes are, I believe, higher in CT as well.

Eastern MA can have bad traffic on certain roads at certain times, but I think the day-to-day traffic in CT suburbs from Greenwich to Fairfield is thicker. Some of the CT towns, like Greenwich, Westport, are among the wealthiest in the U.S. Taxes are, I believe, higher in CT as well. The coastal towns in CT tend to be denser near the coast, by I-95 and U.S. 1, and more woodsy away, by the Merritt Pkwy (CT-15).

If you have a choice, it may come down to researching the cost of living, etc. in both places, but also deciding if you'd like to be near Boston or near New York City. NYC is a sprawling metro area, and Stamford is anywhere from 45-65 mins by train to New York. An hour by train from Boston, a much smaller area, pretty much gets you into the woods. Having spent much of my life in these two areas, I appreciate all NYC has to offer, but would prefer to have a family in the Boston area. It's not only more affordable, I think it's more manageable. NYC, after all this time, just gives me a headache. There's also more obvious history in the Boston area. Boston, while a modern city in many ways, is somewhat more low-key and less focused on "bigger, better, faster, more" and the 24-hour cycle than NYC. (Of course, I don't mean to suggest that a town like Westport, CT is a 24-hour bustling place, just to try to explain the difference in style between the two cities).

Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 PM

21,135 posts, read 28,974,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
The only good part of CT is the part near NYC. It's essentially a NYC exurb. That's why it's good because of the easy access to NYC. Other than that, meh. Hartford is hell, don't even think of it. Boston is great too. Newton is nice, Brookline is better, other faves include Cambridge, Marblehead, and Newburyport. But my favorite is Boston. Try the Back Bay or a high rise apt and a private school, You can't live better.

Brace yourself for the winter though. You have no idea!
Hartford proper I wouldn't recommend, but Hartford actually has some of the most affluent and desirable suburbs in the nation - West Hartford, Avon, Simsbury, Glastonbury, Farmington. Also, away from NYC, CT has some amazing shoreline towns - Madison, Guilford, Old Saybrook, Clinton, etc. Again, some of the most desirable towns with some of the best schools in the nation. You also might want to take a visit to the picturesque Litchfield Hills (also away from NYC, towns like Washington, Roxbury, Bridgewater, Kent).

You may want to visit other parts of CT before you make such a blanket statement such as "the only good part of CT is the NYC suburban area."

Old 02-04-2010, 03:23 PM

2,413 posts, read 4,456,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You may want to visit other parts of CT before you make such a blanket statement such as "the only good part of CT is the NYC suburban area."
That's for sure, Kid--what a wacky thing to say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston