Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:29 PM

557 posts, read 1,353,333 times

Advertisements

Great suggestions people w/ the seasonal depression! Who would've thunk it? /sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,805 times
Quote:
The weather is generally awful from Nov. 1-at least mid-April.
I don't find this to be the case. I'm not a winter person at all, but when I moved here (from the slightly milder NJ), I realized I'd better get used to it. Sure, there are days where the sidewalks are full of ice and snow and you really can't get out for a walk. And there are days where it's bitterly cold and you can't stand to leave your warm apartment. But what I found is that, on most winter days, there was at least a part of each day where taking a walk was not only possible, but pleasant. Especially in November and late March, there are plenty of days in the 40s and 50s, and if I have the right winter clothes on, I find that anything above 20 degrees or so can be conducive to a nice walk (assuming it's not too windy and the sidewalks aren't icy). Getting outside for at least part of the day, as often as I can, does a lot to make winter feel more bearable.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:43 PM

27 posts, read 135,733 times
My situation is very similar to yours. I lived in VA through college and moved to Boston afterwards for a job without knowing a sole. I'm 24 and have been here for 2.5 years. I've been lucky in that I work with quite a few people my age so I hang out with them a lot outside of work. That being said, I can definitely understand that it's hard to meet people outside of that. It's not like college where meeting people was very easy.

Winter does kind of suck being so cold but I don't think its that bad. Sure I'm not outside as much but I still enjoy walking around the different areas of Boston, the common, etc. I occupy much of my weekends watching sports and movies and hanging out with friends at someone's place or at bars downtown.

I guess I don't have a ton of suggestions for you other than just find a couple people you can go out with, maybe meet some of their friends, meet some random people at a bar. Or wait til it warms up in the spring/summer. Summer here is SO much better than VA.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:35 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME Hokie 07 View Post
My situation is very similar to yours. I lived in VA through college and moved to Boston afterwards for a job without knowing a sole. I'm 24 and have been here for 2.5 years. I've been lucky in that I work with quite a few people my age so I hang out with them a lot outside of work. That being said, I can definitely understand that it's hard to meet people outside of that. It's not like college where meeting people was very easy.
Good luck to you.
But how is that different from any other area in the US, if you move for work and everything is unfamiliar? And lets not forget - Boston is a large metropolitan area. I know people who moved (for work) from NJ to places like Boise Idaho or a remote location in Utah.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:42 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia33 View Post
I moved to Boston last summer from DC for work. I'm in my mid-20s and DC has always been home, but I loved Boston during the summer and autumn. However, since winter has hit hard and the holidays have passed, I find myself sort of in a rut and not really enjoying Boston as much as I thought I would. I'm trying to reserve judgment and give it its proper chance, because I don't think I have been here long enough to have a truly established position on the city (I think a year is necessary). And I really do want to like it here.

I'm not quite sure what it is about Boston, or maybe it's just me, but I don't find myself loving it anymore. There are many things I love about the city - the river and waterfront, Beacon Hill, North End, great sports, Public Gardens, the BPL, Irish pubs. But for some reason I've found the whole to be less than the sum of its parts. I've sought out plenty of threads and posts that reaffirm what I'm feeling (maybe that's my problem), but I'd love to hear from people that love this city and why/what they love about it. It'd be particularly helpful if you also moved here not knowing many people, or anyone at all. I'd love to hear anything and everything positive that people have to say about Boston.

I am right there with you! I don't want to say it's just the weather, but rather the combination of things that crummy weather brings, like high heat bills, crabby attitudes (if they weren't already), messy floors and dirty snow. I moved here from a warm climate and people always ask my "Why did you move somewhere so cold?" and around this time of year I have trouble coming up with an answer. I know, I know--Boston is one of the "pretty" cities and can be very enjoyable, but "pretty" can only do so much for you. I go to college here, so I meet a lot of new people all the time, but making friends in a city, especially Boston, can be particularly daunting.

It's true though, this time will pass. The spring will come and the weather (if not other things) will change. Boston/New England is one of the most pleasant places to enjoy the spring season, so hold on for just a little longer!

Oh and I would also take someone else's advice: Get out and enjoy the surrounding nature.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 01-10-2010 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-10-2010, 03:38 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I, like millions of others, did my time in Boston for school. I moved there from FL and experienced much of what you are going through now. I arrived in the summer and absolutely loved the summer and especially the fall. Than the winter hit, and it hit me like a mack truck. I questioned the whole SAD thing but later became convinced it was real. The first winter is brutal. The cold shocks you down to the bone and lack of sunlight really gets you. Coming from the sunshine state it hit me very hard. But by the time I spent an entire calender year in Boston and acclimated by the time the next winter rolled around it was much better. Although not much had changed I did not become nearly as depressed as my first winter. It's something that you just have to go through and let it pass. Some of the posters have made really good suggestions on how to beat the winter blues. Some of the things that really worked for me were 1. Try to maximize your exposure to sunlight (UV). Sit next to the window at work or school. Instead of eating inside for lunch, take a walk outside (weather permitting). If you get out of work earlier enough, walk as much as possible instead heading for the T. 2. Work out. It doesn't matter if it's cardio, weights or just stretching. Get your blood pumping and your endorphins flowing. This really helps and the people interaction at the gym helps also. 3. Watch your diet. I always craved heavy foods to "warm me up" during the winter. Bad idea, as soon as you over stuff yourself, you feel guilty and even more depressed. Stick to a reasonable meal and if you can, sit down with some friends and really enjoy the meal. 4. Get out of town. Try to make one day a week to see someplace new. Drive to a town you never visited, or hop on the T and visit a museum or area that is new to you. Breaking up the every day monotony can really help.

I hope this helps, but most helpful is just hanging in there knowing that it will pass and you'll come out of it better.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,805 times
I have another tip. This may sound like a joke, but it really works. Read some of the City Data boards for places like Vermont, Minneapolis and Buffalo. Their winters are much colder than ours, they get much more snow, and they don't have as much public transit, meaning they always have to dig their cars out. That makes me feel better about our winters.

You can achieve the same effect by reading the Houston, Phoenix and Florida boards when the summer feels too hot...

Old 01-11-2010, 11:49 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
As others have suggested, though it may seem counterintuitive, getting outside is a good idea. The activity and the fresh air perk you up, and if you can get out some in the middle of the day you get more exposure to what sunlight there is. I think that getting outside can bring about a psychological boost as well. After a fresh snow, the scenery is beautiful, and getting out and about gives you a sense that you're not going to let winter faze you, while staying cooped up at home can make you feel as if the season has defeated you. Just make sure to bundle up. Hang in there.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM

219 posts, read 877,919 times
Adopt a dog---no not really, unless you're responsible enough to train and take care of an animal for the next 10 years or so. I moved here with my dog a few months ago. She has a ton of energy and requires at least 3 walks a day. It forces you to trek outside and stay outside for a decent amount of time. I don't mind though and I find nothing more peaceful than walking around downtown Boston with the pup at night. The city is beautiful at night, despite the cold.

I've also taken up photography and find this to be an excellent outlet and am actually looking forward to the next snowstorm to capture Boston in a winter setting.

Coming from FL, this winter is tough. But just imagine how much you'll appreciate a beautiful summer day when it arrives...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia33 View Post
i moved to boston last summer from dc for work. I'm in my mid-20s and dc has always been home, but i loved boston during the summer and autumn. However, since winter has hit hard and the holidays have passed, i find myself sort of in a rut and not really enjoying boston as much as i thought i would. I'm trying to reserve judgment and give it its proper chance, because i don't think i have been here long enough to have a truly established position on the city (i think a year is necessary). And i really do want to like it here.

I'm not quite sure what it is about boston, or maybe it's just me, but i don't find myself loving it anymore. There are many things i love about the city - the river and waterfront, beacon hill, north end, great sports, public gardens, the bpl, irish pubs. But for some reason i've found the whole to be less than the sum of its parts. I've sought out plenty of threads and posts that reaffirm what i'm feeling (maybe that's my problem), but i'd love to hear from people that love this city and why/what they love about it. It'd be particularly helpful if you also moved here not knowing many people, or anyone at all. I'd love to hear anything and everything positive that people have to say about boston.
well im from boston and yes it is things to do but the overall boston just aint what people hype it up to be. Not to rain on your feelings but afterwhile something more quiet and reserved is better look and feel. The city is mad noisy and alot of drama! Staying to urself is best or few people in your circle cause you can get caught up! I want to travel to dc soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston