Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,457 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are about to relocate to the Boston area and would like advice on areas to consider living. We're thirty somethings, no kids (yet) like the offerings of big cities but don't have to live "downtown". One of us will be working in North Andover and the other in Canton.

Can you recommend towns that have easy access to Boston and would be manageable for commuting to both N.Andover and Canton?

We're not very familiar with the Boston area. We've spent some time in Andover and like some of what it has to offer, but think it may be a rough coomute to Canton (probably goes without saying)

We're looking to buy and our price range is roughly 400k-500k.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 PM

639 posts, read 3,532,758 times
Good morning! Well I did mapquest to see which area to live in for those commutes. Brookline & Newton came up as the best places for No. Andover and the other side of the world to me---Canton. 36 minute commute, roughly 23 miles to both destinations. That isn't a bad commute. The only thing is? I don't know what the traffic would be like. For some reason? I think it might be better from that area than directly living on the other side of Boston on the south shore or the north shore. I know you don't know what I mean right now, but the Brookline, Newton area is west of Boston, so you'd be traveling to both destinations on Rte 9 and may be some one that is more familiar with this commute could give you the latest update on that road hopefully? I always feel that if you see moving cars on a road all the time, then 9 times out of 10? That's a good sign! The north and south shore of Boston would be pretty annoying for you day in and day out, believe me I did BOTH sides of it and know for a fact and even to this day with the 3rd harbor tunnel and big dig construction they did? It's still no joke a lot of times.

So if I were you? I'd check out anything west of Boston such as the two places I mentioned or even look a little further west because a 36 minute commute with 23 miles to each place? Isn't a bad haul to me at all. That is IF the flow of the daily traffic MOVES along! Tie ups can be quite another story; as you know. Good luck and keep checking back here from time to time because they'll be other ideas for you I'm sure. ALSO, to add to this, I checked realtor dot com and there's a lot of condos in your price range in that area. SO if you're considering a condo and not a house? You're golden in that price range for that area I would think. I saw some beautifully renovated ones too with neat kitchens and nice hardwood floors; the charming big windows and all that. Oh I'd be having a field day checking out places through there! Good luck and like I said, keep checking back from time to time because I KNOW others will have more ideas for you.

I commuted for years from Boston to southern NH going through the north shore all the time and it's NO joke and it's NOT a picnic in the winter months. SO the closer you get for both those destinations? The better off you'll both be, trust me on that. I'd definitely check west of Boston first because the mileage to me from say Chestnut Hill, Newton or Brookline area wouldn't be bad at all. See if you can find something in Brookline Village while you're at it! It's quite nice and SO convenient. You'd have the trolley right there to bring you in to downtown Boston in no time. You'd have Rte 9 right there. It's not bad either to get to Canton or No. Andover from there. You'd actually have the best of both worlds if you lived through here. The City at your disposal as well as charming, yet funky shops, bistros and restaurants, museums, antique shops, all along Brookline Village and through that whole stretch. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 05-25-2007 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: typo...

Old 05-26-2007, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,457 times
Thanks so much for all the information in such a short period of time. We're actually in the Bston area this weekend so we'll make a point of checking out Brookline and Newton.

Do you have any thoughts on Arlington, Lexington, Winchester and Melrose? I know there a bit more north, but we've heard good things and if it's worth it, the Canton commuter may be willing to deal.

Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:21 AM

639 posts, read 3,532,758 times
Melrose to me was always SUCH a lovely community. Check it out while you're there this weekend if you can. Go to Turner's Seafood restaurant right in their downtown area, you'll like it a lot and you'll see a lot of the locals there. You'll see the awning for it as you're driving through the town. Take a mini tour through Melrose. Look for Essex Street from Rte 1 in Peabody's Square One Mall area. Take this exit and you'll be on Upham St. in Melrose before you know it. Take any of those side streets on the right as you get closer to the town center of Melrose and you'll see all the charming New Englanders all through there. Also, see if you can find the Bellevue Golf Club in Melrose because all through there are some beautiful stunning little areas. It's supposed to be this big secret but I've been to so many showers and lunch events there it's not even funny. It's SUCH a pretty area and it's not too far from Boston at all. The MBTA orange line is right there, Oak Grove; right across from the Pine Bank Park beyond Melrose's center of town.

Melrose to Canton would be 34 miles; roughly an hour, that is with NO traffic. Good luck, because there always IS from one side of Boston getting to the other always and there's no going around that debate. It moves though a lot of times. A lot of lights, but get on I-93 for Rte 3 and you'll be there in no time hopefully!

The Newton area is only about a 16 mile commute down to Canton, that wouldn't be bad at all I don't think. Winchester's a really nice community too and it always was very nice! It's roughly 35 miles from there to Canton. It would be a good hour may be a little more due to the traffic you'll hit. It certainly depends on what time you're leaving in the AM. The earlier the better I bet.

Good luck and have a great time checking out these towns.

I have to tell you; you have nice taste! They're all very nice places to live. You did your homework well in investigating all the important stuff with them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston