Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 81,509 times

Advertisements

Hi There

i found a job in Boston near watertown and Newtown. The job offer is only 20K more than what i make in Tucson. But i did a search in salary calculator and i found the 20K extra in Boston is the same as what i make here in Tucson. While Boston is 50% more expensive than Tucson. Since you have been in Boston what is really special in Boston. I am not a sport fan and practically don't watch any football or care about sports. Although i myself run and go to gym. I am more like small town guy. i like hot weather over cold. Low traffic than high traffic, and the housing , good lord, in Boston the houses look nasty compare to Tucson.

I like to look at Boston posetively. Would you please tell me more about Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
There's a good music scene in Boston. People run along the Charles River. There are plenty of gyms. Everything else being equal though, you don't sound like Boston material. Neither am I, and that's where I grew up.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Kdog

thanks for reply. So what about life quality in Boston. eating, living and BUYING HOUSE and HAVING family. Is Boston more stress full or Tucson?

thanks

every one else comment is also highly respected.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Add museums, boating, whale-watch cruises, and a bunch of restaurants to the activities in Boston. When it comes to activities, it would work better for you to tell us what you do like, rather than what you don't, so we can get an idea whether those activities are readily available in Boston. That would include kinds of food you like in restaurants.

Regarding your comment that houses don't seem to be in good shape in Boston, it depends on the neighborhood. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Boston is an old city for an American city. A lot of the houses are older than you'd see in a city like Tucson that has had a lot of recent growth. On the other hand, many of those old houses are very solidly constructed, and have been well maintained in the nice neighborhoods.

As far as whether it's possible for you to buy a house here, I don't think anyone can answer that question without some estimate of how much you could pay for a house.

I'm going to guess that the reason Kdog suggested that you might not fit Boston really well has to do with a couple of your preferences you described: hot weather better than cold (more cold weather in Boston), and your preference for a slow pace and not so much traffic. Boston has plenty of suburban sprawl in, well, suburbia, but in the city, and near the city, it's very densely populated, with a lot of traffic concentrated in a relatively small area. Even out in the suburbs, the volume of auto traffic is going to be more than what you're used to in Tucson. You have to think more in the category of Phoenix to get somewhat of an idea of the population in the Boston metro area beyond the city itself, and really, the greater Boston area has a higher population than the Phoenix metro.

I don't think anyone would want to discourage you from moving here and giving this area a try, but no place is right for everyone. It sounds as if you need to give some serious thought about how well you would adjust to the change in climate, and a shift to a larger city with more traffic and a faster pace, before making a move. But, hey, you know, answering questions about the area is what people are here for on City Data, so any real details you'd like to know, feel free to ask. Some info from you about housing budget, activities you like, what mode of transportation you prefer, how long a commute you can deal with, etc., would really help people have a better idea what kind of match you and Boston would be.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
You may enjoy sailing on the Charles River, with a view of the Back Bay skyline to one side opposite MIT in Cambridge to the other. Even Boston Harbor has a sailing club, I think.Community Boating (sailboats) should have a website detailing the membership rates and costs for lessons. I believe down the river a few miles in Watertown is Community Rowing (unsure of the exact name). You'd likely meet members who are alums of colleges with rowing programs. You can go skiing in the Blue Hills, maybe 20-25 minutes from downtown. You can hike there, too, as well as the Middlesex Fells to the north of the city.

On Boston Marathon weekend (3rd (?) Monday each April), downtown Boston's trees are still quite bare, but you'll see pink and white flowers in some trees -- just not much green yet. Evening games in April at Fenway Park would usually require a sweatshirt, at least.

Yes, the Boston area would have a lot of dumpy housing stock compared to newer cities. Sure, we have lots of handsome old brick townhouses restored, looking lovely with flower boxes, but that's not the reality of most of the Boston neighborhoods. Instead, you'll find triple-decker (three family) homes, often painted brown with light yellow accents around the windows and side trim. Many apt. buildings asking $1200 for a 1BR can be very old.

Whether you rent or own, in a condo, apt. or house, you may feel very claustrophobic here, even in desired suburbs outside of town. It's very densely populated here. Even expensive homes in high-income areas (Newton, Cambridge and Brookline) often have very small yards in close proximity to neighbors. Is Tucson at all like that in some communities?

You may like our green landscape during the nicer months vs. the brown monotone of parts of the southwest.

We have a big emphasis on spectator sports here; not so much for college sports unless you're affiliated with the college. Boston College's sports is the most popular, but I don't think many non-BC people follow them. Very passionate callers on our two sportstalk radio stations which may overwhelm some from the Phoenix-Tucson sports market.

You'll love jogging along the Charles River esplanade (I think) in nice weather, or admiring the architecture while jogging through our nicer neighborhoods (beware of bikes, cars, skateboarders and bicycle couriers).

We have just a dusting of snow in most Boston communities now -- not bad for
February. The windchill can be the problem here; our average highs in Dec./Jan./Feb. are 36-38 degrees, much warmer than most would think. But there's often a stiff wind, making it quite cold on some of those days. We average about 41.9 inches of snow yearly. About 3-4 yrs. ago, we ended at 102 inches, almost breaking our record. But most times, you won't need boots to navigate the snow. 41 inches usually means a large part of the winter is bereft of snow on the ground. We can easily go a week or two with no snow. Our last blockbuster snowstorm of 15"-20"+ was three or four yearsa ago. It's not that bad most winters!

When summers get very humid, your shirt may have perspiration stains at 6 am as you walk to the bus/subway station. It may be only 70 degrees, bit it's close to 100% humidity.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 AM

226 posts, read 588,338 times
I can really relate to your dilemma, Bobytucboy, as I am a native Southern Arizonan (thus, the handle) considering moving to Boston. The biggest changes are, of course, the "3 Cs": climate, culture and cost. After leaving Tucson, I went to school in Pittsburgh and got used to a 4-season climate. I actually love it (and Pittsburgh). Everyone else moans about the cold and snow, and while the cold can get old, the snow never does. Still, if you're an active outdoors-y person, as lots of Arizonans are, you may find Boston limiting for 4 months of the year.

Culturally, Boston just has tons to do and to enjoy--the architecture, museums, history are amazing. I love Tucson, but "high" culture pretty much revolves around the U of A and that's a relatively small orbit. Apart from the Loft Theatre, you don't get much good indie film in Tucson; not a problem you'll have here.

Finally, the costs are a huge shock. Tucson is cheaper in every way. Food is a biggie. You mention housing; yes, there's a lot of somewhat dilapidated stock in Boston, but been to South Tucson lately? Tucson has tons of subdivisional pseudo-Santa Fe "adobe"/concrete that looks really clean and really boring; architectually, Boston has so much more variation. But the prices are crazy: I'm looking for a nice 2-bedroom/900s.f. condo for 600K and pickings are slim (in the location I want). In Tucson, 600K gets you 3000 s.f. on a primo lot in the foothills (if that's what you're looking for).

Some other observations...First, I would disagree with bostonboy1960's assumption that AZ is brown and monotonous--it's not. Hike in Sabino Canyon (very accessible to Tucson) and you'll see amazing color. Add the sunsets, lush cactus "forests" and piney mountain tops, and you would never say that AZ is brown or monotonous. That being said, Boston is very green and the ocean obviously provides a major flavor to the visual appeal of the area. Another big differnence is public transit--it's pretty good in Boston. Not to say anything bad about SunTran....well, let me say something bad about SunTran--it goes nowhere. On the positive side, it is very infrequent. Even better, no one has to suffer because no one uses it. Boston is more traffic clogged (in my limited experience of it) but Tucson doesn't offer any alternatives.

In sum, I love Tucson and may come to love Boston if I move here, but there are several major differences that make the two somewhat apples and oranges.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Depends on what you like, Bobytucboy.

I have spent some time on business in AZ and personally, I don't think you could replicate your Tuscon quality of life for only $20K more here in the Boston area.

You didn't mention what the total salary would be, but just in round numbers if you are making $100K in Tuscon, I think you would need to make a heck of a lot more than $120K in the Boston area to be on even ground. If you're earlier in your career and you're going from $40K to $60K per year, then maybe it is worthwhile.

The biggest selling point for the Greater Boston area in general is the fact that no where else in the country do you have the same concentration of access to:
  • top notch medical facilities
  • top ranked educational institutions
  • accessibility to lakes, mountains and the ocean
  • reasonable tax burden

The downside, of course, is that property costs are higher here than most parts of the country and that is all based on demand. Despite what surveys or articles may say about people moving out of New England there is still considerable demand for property by new people moving in to the region.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 AM

Hi Guys thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Ok here is the main question:

if i Make 80K per year is it a good salary for Boston? My job is at Newtown and watertown area. I like to have a house and have a baby. In Tucson with 50K you can run a family, Of course my wife works too. Cost of living in Tucson is really low. People easily derive any car, i myself motorcycle, No body care how you dress, and Nice houses not condos or apartments is ~200K-300K in nice part of Tucson. The Tucson weather itself, and cheap houses and low traffic immediately bring the cost of living very low and i can save. Tucson Tax is also lower too.

I am wondering if the 80K can give me the same lifestyle i have in Tucson as in Boston. I understand the Boston is really nice and there are lots of movies and shows on the TV about town that makes me excited. The question is can i be part of that popular culture or i am an observer?. I want to be able to hold that tasty ICE cream and food in my mouth than looking other people enjoying it. It seems (please advice) i need to buy a house further away from Newton and Watertown Stuck in traffic for 2 hours to go to work and 2 hours to come home and hit the sack to be able to work next day and watch the life pass by.

thank you very much for your any input

Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
No, $80K will not give you the same lifestyle. You will likely have less square footage in your home and pay more for it.

The things I like about living here are that I don't need to own a car, there's a sense of community in my neighborhood, there's some really great restaurants/diversity in cuisine, decent nighlife, I don't like hot weather, and it doesn't feel like some generic suburb in Anywhere, USA. However, these are mostly things I enjoy about living in an *urban*envoironment, which it doesn't sound like you want.

If you are looking to replicate your life in Arozona, I think you will be very disappointed.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Default Thank you so muchhhhhhhhh

Thanks to all of you guys, you guys are Asome. I really appreciate it for all your input. It seems in spite of the fact that i am very liberal like San Fransisco guy and relax, and Boston can be a place for me to be instead of living in a republican state, cost of living and quality of life in Tucson is much superior to Boston. I better start going to church.

Now, it is a lesson for me that although people get 100K in California or Mass, all of it are taken away from them. That is why, it seems it doesn't matter where you live in U.S. It is just a choice. In south there is much less high-tech jobs and if they pay less cost of living is low. In north, there are lots of high tech and they pay a lot more but it is too expensive. So it evens out.

thank you thank you thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston