Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

I agree with a lot of what you say. Part of the reason I think that the live music (not big concerts, but bar bands, etc) is what it is in Boston (mostly alternative) is simply the sheer volume of people under age 25. Jazz does appeal to all ages (I went Jazz club hopping in New Orleans last weekend... I'm 24), but there's a stigma attached to it that it's for old folks. Many Jazz/Blues clubs in the area also cost you an arm and a leg. $20 cover, 2 drink minimum and you're well beyond reasonably priced drinks after work/class. In New Orleans (outside of the Quarter), there's no cover at many places (they'll walk around asking to tip the band, but no cover at the door), cheap drinks and people from age 21-80.

You're right, Boston has the talent. I don't know if it has the market unfortunately. Or better yet, people don't know there's a market yet. What I would like to see more of (and I've heard it used to be this way) is more comedy clubs. There are tons of Boston comedy acts. I don't know why there aren't more venues.

The point you make about growth is one I'd like to elaborate on. Boston feels sort of "anti-growth" in many ways. I agree. However, that kind of supports the argument that many people in Boston feel that Boston is a smaller city than it really is (rather than they all feel that it's so huge). You constantly hear people griping about Boston "becoming more like New York" in a negative fashion. When it comes to development, the term "Manhattanization" is a fear mongering word. People in Boston are adamantly opposed to change. Much more so than any other major city I've ever been to.

The opposition to change is not just limited to the city limits. The suburbs are the same way. Boston has the low density sprawl it does because many towns (with the support of the residents) demand larger lot sizes to "maintain the character" of the community. large lot sizes mean each person needs more space. This pushes the suburbs further outside the city (which is why most of Eastern MA is one giant low-density suburb). Instead of allowing new growth and change, they oppose it vehemently. Older cities (like London) do a far better job of growth management because areas around Boston are unwilling to adapt. The result in Boston's suburbs are historic town centers surrounded by mediocre, cheap low-density suburban sprawl for as far as the eye can see (and then some).

In the city, it's no different. Residents fight developers (who the residents believe owe them concessions) tooth and nail to shape the project to the neighborhoods demands (i.e. the developer "owes" the city a new school or entirely new low income housing development, or adjacent park, etc). The result (after the developer concedes) is often watered down and bland. Mediocre. I'm discussing development because it's what I know, but the attitude is reflect in all areas. While I love Boston and the people here, the opposition to any sort of change is as maddening as can be. They want their historic city to stay the same, but many are setting it backwards.

Last edited by lrfox; 09-28-2010 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Make a 'Boston' style but one that will appeal internationally. Draw people in to homegrown things!
I don't know that this doesn't exist already in some respects. If not Boston, there's certainly a New England style. I think it's especially visible in the summer. The preppy nautical look is very much a New England style and it translates well in most other places as a casual but classy look. It's conservative, I agree, but it is very much Boston. Chains like Vineyard Vines mass produce it. I know you know what I'm talking about. Loafers or Topsiders (I don't know a true New Englander who doesn't currently or previously own a pair of Sperry's), pastel or sun faded colors (Nantucket Red), Polos or traditional sports coats, etc. It's sort of a timeless look that is very much Boston/New England. If you watch an 80s movie (or 70s, Jaws anyone?) set here you can see an almost similar style (of course with some differences based on the era... larger collars, shorter shorts, high socks, etc). In the colder weather you'll see some more khaki pants, blue sports coats and conservative business casual wear. It's that stuffy, Boston prep look.

I agree that you can play with it (modernize it to a degree), but when I think of Boston, that's pretty much what I think of... traditional, conservative, but it's pretty unique to Boston. I actually like the look. I've worn it overseas and in other cities in the U.S. and it goes well. It may not work in a Miami night club, but Miami's another one with a style that's been consistent and unique to Miami (the clothes today don't look too much different from Miami Vice). The Miami nightclub look wouldn't work well in Boston either (a Londoner, or someone from Madrid, Paris or Milan would fit in just fine).

Old 10-04-2010, 02:26 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I know you know what I'm talking about. Loafers or Topsiders (I don't know a true New Englander who doesn't currently or previously own a pair of Sperry's), pastel or sun faded colors (Nantucket Red), Polos or traditional sports coats, etc. It's sort of a timeless look that is very much Boston/New England.
Ugh. I grew up in the Boston suburbs and that preppy look was my worst nightmare. It was worn by the wealthy yacht-club kids who went to Wellesley or Harvard and looked down on everyone who wasn't just like them. It might be timeless in some circles, but I do not believe this look defines Boston or New England style.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Ugh. I grew up in the Boston suburbs and that preppy look was my worst nightmare. It was worn by the wealthy yacht-club kids who went to Wellesley or Harvard and looked down on everyone who wasn't just like them. It might be timeless in some circles, but I do not believe this look defines Boston or New England style.
I also grew up in the Boston suburbs and that preppy look was/is also my worst nightmare.

However, I do think this look (along with sports clothes/baseball hats) DOES define Boston for the most part.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,165 times
Bronty, it sounds to me like you are more concerned with the appearance of good jazz (as manifested in some kind of "jazz club strip mall") than good jazz music itself....Boston is pretty much unparalleled outside of New York as far as the latter goes, precisely for reasons you may not like: Berklee, the NEC, and even Harvard. Boston does have talent, both in the form of young people, and also thanks to a cadre of long term educators and innovators. The most cutting edge music is performed in places like Jordan Hall, not kitschy clubs on Bourbon St.

Of course, NYC has legendary venues like the Village Vanguard, which offer high quality music without the "academic" atmosphere. But you're not going to find much of that anywhere else in the country...

Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 AM

15 posts, read 38,973 times
that's total BS -- Boston unparalleled for Jazz, ha ha ha, maybe back in the day but as of a few years ago the jazz scene had basically gotten deplorable there. With perhaps the exception of Ryles in Cambridge.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 14,566 times
I'll take a stab at this one and risk being another outsider who has yet to find full appreciation for all that Boston offers. Let me say that I'm in my 40's and while I have very broad ranges to my personality (clothes, music, entertainment, social interests, and blah-tee-dah and so forth), I don't think that I necessarily "fit in" with the area in which I now live, which is Tufts. I grew up in Northampton, MA and went to Smith, and the extent of the "Five College Area", even in its expanse, perhaps because it is smaller, it's easier to find all those experiences you're looking for. However, to expect the mass complexity of an area as large as Boston, an area that also demonstrates a lot of "turn-over" because the college kids, quite often, come and go, to just present what you seek around every corner, is unrealistic. Smaller areas rich in culture and diversity would make your search simpler, and perhaps that is what you're seeking, more than the actual experiences themselves.

Having said that, let me share with you that I have similar feelings as you do with regards to Boston,--perhaps because I moved here, didn't "grow up" here. I came out here not knowing a soul,...moving from a town I was familiar with and comfortable with. Imagine my culture shock. For me, I'm still adjusting! But this is what I've learned. Boston, like any city, certainly has a particular reputation, like anywhere else, created by the larger masses and their similarities. You may be making some impulsive opinions because to "get around" in Boston, to "fit in," anywhere, in any circle, in any niche, requires a lot more work, effort, an outgoing adventurous spirit, and a willingness to put yourself out there. I found out, (again, it was the hard way for me as I came out alone with no contacts, friends, or connections), Boston proper and so much of the surrounding areas, are rich with incredible varieties of cultural exposures and experiences.

Start with altering your attitude, and instead of feeling frustrated, try to think of this as an adventure. Don't rely on driving, or tourist traps, or gimmicks that lure people in. Hoof it! Spend time learning the T and travel by train, and by walking. (Not a drive to those areas you've "heard about" from others). The train will provide you with the "easy" part of getting around, and you can go anywhere between trains and buses,....and walking. You have to put forth a more rigorous effort and be willing to put yourself out there. You can see all of the Boston area/s this way. And you learn them, unlike driving or being driven or relying on mapquest or random GPS recommendations.

Remembering (and accepting) Boston is a blooming city, relying on trains and your feet, you will find the places you're looking for, you will remember them because through walking, you're almost forced to pay closer attention to the people, the venues,...but the biggest lesson I learned (and I wished someone explained this absolutely obvious and logical point of reason,...common sense to city dwellers, -- to those like me who move here with hope, instead of moving here with realistic and pragmatic common sense!)...was Boston is a hard city. The most obvious cliques are formed through the educational pool of our great colleges, so that will be what you'll notice most of. To look deeper, it's up to you to venture out and try things out. I learned more from the time I spent hoofing it and venturing on trains, not my car,...and I retained it. You'll never get lost, you'll just find new places to learn about. The train system is your safety net. But expecting it to come with ease, expecting things to drop in your lap or jump out at you as it might in smaller towns,...you will experience lingering and deepening regret and remorse, and you'll eventually dislike Boston ONLY because you didn't take the efficient, effective, and yes, the more challenging way of learning your way around like a Bostonian,....not a visitor who only frequents the "high profile" places that get the most coverage and advertising. You will be miserable. If you keep doing the same thing over and over, (and you're consistently unhappy with your repeated, unpleasant experiences),...then it's up to YOU to change what you're doing, and how you're doing it, and only then will you get different results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston