Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,739 times

Advertisements

Hello friends, just wanted to touch base with you on a subject that is heating up on the Pittsburgh boards. In the city of Pittsburgh, those who have to park on the city streets will place a chair or some other ridiculous object to save their spot when they leave. Those who support this feel if they spent hours shovelling snow off of the spot that they have rights to it. I think it's ridiculous, there are certain facts you have to face when parking on the street.

So does this happen in Boston? If so, do residents respect this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Boston actually has an ordinance that makes it legal to save parking spaces during declared snow emergencies up until 48 hours after the snow emergency has ended.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 AM

294 posts, read 1,107,174 times
I saw on the news that Boston was making it so the saving of spaces was not allowed anymore? And that city trash collectors would be going around and removing the space saver? Or is this only applicable after the 48 hour ordinance? Also, I think that using a space saver is perfectly reasonable. Why should you spend your time and energy shoveling for some a-hole to come take your space? Parking is pretty limited in Boston. Even in designated "resident sticker only" zones it is tough. Even if there was no "space-savers" your chance of finding a parking spot is about 20%.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:17 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
I saw on the news that Boston was making it so the saving of spaces was not allowed anymore? And that city trash collectors would be going around and removing the space saver? Or is this only applicable after the 48 hour ordinance? Also, I think that using a space saver is perfectly reasonable. Why should you spend your time and energy shoveling for some a-hole to come take your space? Parking is pretty limited in Boston. Even in designated "resident sticker only" zones it is tough. Even if there was no "space-savers" your chance of finding a parking spot is about 20%.
With all that the Boston Police have to deal with, I can't imagine how they could possibly manage how long a marker has been up. One repeat theme that I am seeing from posting in other forums is that people do this but it's not really respected, which was my question all along.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 AM

10,008 posts, read 15,656,467 times
See this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...r-parking.html

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
Although I now have off street parking, I've used the practice of saving my space with a chair or what-not for years. I think it's an excellent system, and has always been respected by the neighborhood. It's quite civil.

And every year the city says it's going to crack down, but they're bluffing. I've never seen them take any action what's so ever.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,340 times
This comes up every year. Every year the mayor or council says that it's not legal, and every year there's holy hell in Southie and some other neighborhoods and the city backs down.

It's not always civil. It is respected because the consequences of not respecting it are severe. People who disregard someone's chair and park in a saved spot frequently come back to find their tires slashed or their windows smashed. Whatever the official rule there's a code that a lot of people take very seriously.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 AM
miu

17,768 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Hello friends, just wanted to touch base with you on a subject that is heating up on the Pittsburgh boards. In the city of Pittsburgh, those who have to park on the city streets will place a chair or some other ridiculous object to save their spot when they leave. Those who support this feel if they spent hours shovelling snow off of the spot that they have rights to it. I think it's ridiculous, there are certain facts you have to face when parking on the street.

So does this happen in Boston? If so, do residents respect this?
Just out of curiousity... are you someone that shovels out a parking spot properly? Or do you just do the minimal amount of effort to get your car in and out of a snow covered parking spot? From your post, it doesn't sound like you've ever make the effort to shovel out a parking space on a public street out... so of course, you would think it ridiculous that anyone would feel possessive over a shoveled out parking space.

Otherwise, it'd be really nice if every car owner had a decent shovel in their vehicle, and then when it snowed, took the effort to shovel out the parking spot properly. If everyone could do that, the parking situation in the wintertime would be better and there would more decently cleared spaces to park in. I hate shoveling slackers!! But fortunately, I've had my own driveway for about 20 years now.

The best situation is when the cities declare snow emergencies and order all parked cars and vehicles off the streets so that they can clear all the excess snow away completely. And they should tow away any cars left on the streets during these snow emergencies.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:25 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
I've seen residents saving parking spots in the North End using garbage cans or chairs, and I've been told it would be unwise to park there unless you want your paint job keyed or tires flattened. In my old Brooklyn neighborhood it was done all the time, and removing the garbage can and parking there was a sure way to end up in a tussle.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:43 AM
miu

17,768 posts, read 40,161,054 times
The Boston Globe did a humourous photo spread on parking space markers. This one, number 15, is my favorite...

Winter guide to parking-spot savers in Boston - Boston.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: