Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
There is really no easy bus service from Newtonville. There's the 59, which runs down Walnut St to the D line (at Newton Highlands, I think), but there's not much reason to take that and it would take a long time.

Well... taking the D line would be a really good option wouldnt it?? She could get off at Brookline Village, and then just cross over Boylston/Washington and walk up south huntington no? The VA medical center is right before the MSPCA... So maybe even looking in Brookline and Newton on the D line would be a good choice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
Well... taking the D line would be a really good option wouldnt it?? She could get off at Brookline Village, and then just cross over Boylston/Washington and walk up south huntington no? The VA medical center is right before the MSPCA... So maybe even looking in Brookline and Newton on the D line would be a good choice...
I thought about the D line, but Brookline is generally more expensive than the OP is looking to pay, and there's the parking issue.

I'm not sure the D line in Newton is that great an option either. This may be just me, but it's a 15+ minute (and somewhat desolate and unpleasant) walk from the VA to Brookline Village station. South Huntington and the underpass can be sketchy after dark for someone coming from SC who's specifically concerened about safety, and the walk would be no fun at all in rain or really cold or hot weather.

Just my take, but I wouldn't really want to do it.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:43 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I thought about the D line, but Brookline is generally more expensive than the OP is looking to pay, and there's the parking issue.

I'm not sure the D line in Newton is that great an option either. This may be just me, but it's a 15+ minute (and somewhat desolate and unpleasant) walk from the VA to Brookline Village station. South Huntington and the underpass can be sketchy after dark for someone coming from SC who's specifically concerened about safety, and the walk would be no fun at all in rain or really cold or hot weather.

Just my take, but I wouldn't really want to do it.
Yeah, thats a fair point. It does get a little sketchy over there, but I think a muck more convenient option then dealing with the E line.

If she does end up close to the D she could feel it out, but not depend on that route.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:59 AM

7 posts, read 14,244 times
Thanks Cantabridgeinne, thanks a lot for the reply. I don't mind living outside of the city, especially if it can save a couple hundred dollars every month. Initially, I was bent on staying close to my job but just can't see paying so much for so little, so I am willing to drive or take bus/train into the city everyday, if possible, to save. I am sure the neighborhoods are safer outside the city, is it safe to assume that??

Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 AM

Holden
thanks for the reply with information. I reallyl appreciate your
summary of each area and the commute on public transportation. So the traffic will be crazy, huh, well I probably should consider a place that can offer a simple or quick ride into the city to the VA. There is so much to consider especially when the areas are questionable without actually being there to ride through and what not.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 AM

Bostonguy,

thanks for the reply. I will check into the realtors in JP to see what is available. I am so used to having a car, I just can't imagine being without one. I will however use public transportation as long as it is simplified and not confusing.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:56 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klee552 View Post
I am sure the neighborhoods are safer outside the city, is it safe to assume that??
It's not that cut and dried. For example, Cambridge and Somerville, which are technically separate cities, are more urban than some parts of the city of Boston, like West Roxbury, and are completely part of the Boston urban fabric. Most of Cambridge is safe, but there are parts of Cambridge and Somerville that are a little dodgy, and parts of the city of Boston that are quite safe.

In addition, there are cities near Boston such as Lynn, Salem, Chelsea, maybe Revere and Everett, that have areas that are not so great. Brockton to the south has a lot of problems. It would be a mistake to assume all these places are fine just because they're not "in" Boston city limits.

Depending on your personal budget and whether you have parking with your apartment, there are plenty of places where it would be feasible to have a car, but even if you do I'd recommend commuting to the VA by public transit.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
About the car, I can understand being used to having one. But you're probably also used to parking lots and a dedicated parking space, neither of which are plentiful in the city. Just something to consider.

I had one for a several years, but much prefer not having one (especially during snow emergencies!).

Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM

there are plenty of places where it would be feasible to have a car, but even if you do I'd recommend commuting to the VA by public transit.[/quote]

I will keep this in mind, thanks Holden125
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston