Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:37 PM

179 posts, read 675,393 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Charlotte, NC. We both want to get out of North Carolina for a while and gain some new experiences. We are thinking seriously about Boston, but have never been there. We will visit before we move, but could someone please give us advise on which areas to look at. We are looking to rent an apt. or condo, preferably close to downtown, in a safer area. Currently we pay $745/mo. for rent (1 bedroom), but realize that the cost of living is in Boston is higher. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 10,805 times
we thinking of moving from N.andover,MA to Cary North Carolina.we do not like here.we nave lived for 6 years here.the winter is long ,the people are cold and snobby.why you wanna move?the price of the houses is ridicules,the property taxes also.it is just crasy.I can tell you more about it .and I'd like to hear more about NC .so you can reach me on my e-mail.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:58 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default Some info

Here's a website. Hope is gives you an idea of what rents are.

Massachusetts Apartments

Old 06-01-2007, 07:14 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtrip View Post
My wife and I currently live in Charlotte, NC. We both want to get out of North Carolina for a while and gain some new experiences. We are thinking seriously about Boston, but have never been there. We will visit before we move, but could someone please give us advise on which areas to look at. We are looking to rent an apt. or condo, preferably close to downtown, in a safer area. Currently we pay $745/mo. for rent (1 bedroom), but realize that the cost of living is in Boston is higher. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Boston does have alot to offer, however, it does not come cheap. If I were you, I would visit first for long week ends. You also would need to have a job. The winters are long and cold. Rent, check and read the Boston Globe.
I would say outside the city maybe 1200. Then there is heating etc.,
maybe the quincy area, weymouth, waltham for the price range you are looking at. Also Norwood, Dedham might also work.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:40 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
we thinking of moving from N.andover,MA to Cary North Carolina.we do not like here.we nave lived for 6 years here.the winter is long ,the people are cold and snobby.why you wanna move?the price of the houses is ridicules,the property taxes also.it is just crasy.I can tell you more about it .and I'd like to hear more about NC .so you can reach me on my e-mail.
I went to visit Cary NC recently. Beautiful countryside but the entire town is nothing but chain stores and chain restaurants. If that sort of thing floats your boat, go for it, enjoy it, have fun, live it up at Cheesecake Factory and Red Lobster.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:22 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I went to visit Cary NC recently. Beautiful countryside but the entire town is nothing but chain stores and chain restaurants. If that sort of thing floats your boat, go for it, enjoy it, have fun, live it up at Cheesecake Factory and Red Lobster.
i looked at apex near cary, that was 8 years ago. I sort of liked apex, however, I did not see what that area had to offer. Cary was nice but expensive, apex 8 year ago was more price friendly. I also found housing,
talking 8 years ago high.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:58 PM

179 posts, read 675,393 times
I haven't been to Cary, but I think its close to Raleigh. I know Raleigh has a lot of stuff to do and is a pretty nice city. I have lived in Asheville, NC (that's where I'm originally from and I love it) and am currently in Charlotte, NC. I dont care for Charlotte though, it's a big city with stuff to do, but there's no culture. Its also hot here. My wife and I have just been in NC our entire lives and want a change, hence the move to Boston (maybe).

Old 06-06-2007, 01:13 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
You can lord over the "no chains" thing over other parts of the country all you like, but it's not like it's not happening in Mass as well. Look at Harvard Sq. It used to be a pretty cool place loaded with a lot of small weird stores. There are still some there, but a lot of the smaller restaurants, bookstores, and clothing stores are being run out by places like Starbucks, Barnes and Nobles, the Gap, and Adidas among others. Even the Greenhouse Coffee Shop, which has been around for a damn long time, closed a couple months ago.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
I agree, there are chain stores everywhere now. Nothing completely wrong with them, they give affordable options and aren't all that bad. Any place growing or that is expensive seems to be where they are going now. I know in some towns which stopped giving alcohol licenses, the only restaurants that can afford to buy alcohol licenses from other places are the chain restaurants.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 AM

702 posts, read 3,009,821 times
It's not so much the chain stores but the crappy development that comes with it that bothers me. The large depressing big boxes and huge parking lots that seem so prevalent in the Sunbelt as well as the rest of the country just makes cities lose their regional characteristics. It is no wonder that this country is turning out so many fat people as no one walks anywhere anymore because development patterns are so terrible.

Cary and Raleigh typifies this crappy development. The Boston area was a refreshing change for me as it harkens a sense of community with the town centers and town greens. It reminded me more of Europe than America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston