Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 AM

47 posts, read 182,443 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Ive been doing research on the Boston area, using this forum, and other sources as we are possibly relocating to the Boston area this spring/summer. We have one daughter, aged 8 with more to come (one day!)!
It seems there are many great towns around Boston, I have written them down and hope to visit them over spring break, so we can really narrow our search.
What are some towns and areas to avoid?
The only place Ive discovered via this thread is Dorchester.
Obviously we want what everybody wants, a safe town, that has good public transportation, good schools, and is at least somewhat happening
My husband will have to depend entirely on public transport to get to work in Cambridge. He doesnt like driving now in our small town, he'd never drive into a city! He currently works from home and has been living in DE for 3 years, he's from London and used to big cities and public transport.
For me it is important to be in a good school district not only for my daughters benefit (we cannot afford private school) but for mine as I am a school nurse and hope to find work in this field once we move and I get my MA nursing license.
We plan to rent for one to two years before we buy, I do not mind living in a nice apartment, townhome, or rented home.
One of my biggest worries is living in a city and the snow- what do you do with your car during a snowstorm if you only have street parking? I hope to find a dedicated place with a parking space, which obviously becomes more realistic the further from Boston you live. I do not want to be too far from Boston because I do not want my husbands transportation to be too long.
Thank you!!!

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,242 times
Parts of Dorchester, Roxbury, parts of Revere. When we lived there we lived in Malden and loved it. It's a nice blue collar suburb. I think it would be better if you could post a housing budget, where you'd be working, etc. The people on here are very helpful when they know particulars.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 PM

47 posts, read 182,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Parts of Dorchester, Roxbury, parts of Revere. When we lived there we lived in Malden and loved it. It's a nice blue collar suburb. I think it would be better if you could post a housing budget, where you'd be working, etc. The people on here are very helpful when they know particulars.

Thank you!

I will be working as a RN, don't know where as I plan to look for work after we get moved in. Which then means we are not going to count my salary as part of our budget. I can travel for work and am flexible.

We would like to spend 2K/month or less on rent. Based on my research on Craiglist, we can find a nice apt in this price range.

My husband will be working in Cambridge and using public transport.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:28 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,375 times
I think Arlington would be a good fit for you guys. The schools are good, it's a quick commute to Cambridge via bus (no train in Arlington, unfortunately), lots of family-friendly activities, tons of parks, and a distinct "happening" vibe. Your 2k rental budget should get you into a nice apartment there, as well.

Belmont might be another consideration, they have good schools and it's right next to Cambridge, but maybe slightly less "happening"?

Watertown maybe? It's right nearby as well, but I'm not sure about the schools...can anyone else comment? I think they're known for being solidly middle-of-the-road, which is nothing to sneeze at in MA.

Cambridge itself meets a good deal of your criteria as well, but your 2k budget won't go nearly as far there. The schools are also not always considered as "good" as some in nearby areas, but I think that's more a factor of Cambridge having both a healthy dose of both the "haves" and the "have-nots", as well as a larger immigrant population...things that sometimes affect MCAS scores but don't necessarily mean the schools themselves aren't good.

If I was looking at public schools, I would avoid Dorchester, Roxbury, Everett, Malden, Revere, Somerville (great town EXCEPT for the schools, though), Chelsea, Lynn. Boston proper itself has some excellent schools and some awful ones from what I hear, but you do have to deal with a lottery system and no guarantees about where your child will end up.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,375 times
OH, and in answer to your question about what you do with your car during a snowstorm--it depends on where you live. If you live on a designated emergency artery street, you have to move it elsewhere (side street, etc.). If you don't, it stays parked there till you dig it out. I've actually never had offstreet parking as long as I've lived in the area (9 years), and it's not a problem. Annoying, yes. But it's generally workable.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
I love living in Arlington. Hated living in Malden, though.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:38 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,111 times
Strictly from a safety standpoint, in Boston proper I'd avoid Roxbury, Mattapan, East Boston, much of Dorchester and Hyde Park, and parts of Jamaica Plain. There are some areas right by housing projects in South Boston and Charlestown that are also not the best.

Some parts of Allston and Brighton suffer from severe problems with noisy students, if not as much from safety problems.

Outside of Boston proper but not far outside, the same safety concerns apply to Chelsea, East Somerville, and parts of Malden, Everett, and Revere. Also, there are spots in Cambridge (near the Alewife T-stop in North Cambridge, parts of East Cambridge, and some areas north and south of Central Square) that can be dicey -- again, many of the problem areas are near housing projects.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,058 times
East Boston is not that Bad at all!
South Boston is where I lived most my Life, there is almost no crime, EVER!
Dorchester is not that dangerouse except for the the streets around BHA
Roxbury is getting better, they only had 3 killings this year so far. In Roxbury I love the lower Roxbury and Fort hill neighborhoods.
Jamaica Plain is only dangerouse in the south w/ 5 killings this year so far but also because its next to Mattapan.
Hyde Park is not dangerouse, there was only one stabbing this year so far in Hyde Park.

To answer the posters question I would ensist looking into Watertown, waltham, Belmont
also parts of Newton, PARTS not because it isnt safe but because its expensive!!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:27 PM

557 posts, read 1,353,102 times
Belmont if you don't want to be "in the city" and actually get some bang for the buck It's incredibly easy to Cambridge via Bus or train, and not too far from Boston. Cambrige is also a VERY easy drive from Belmont depending on the exact area of commute, although I do understand he does not want to commute by car if possible.

I lived in Watertown, Belmont, and Brighton (which is technically Boston) for periods of time. Will recommend all three, but especially Belmont. You will pay for location but not to the extent of living in desirable Bostons Back Bay or Beacon Hill type areas.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,111 times
I have to disagree with some of the observations above:

--no, East Boston is not a good area, ranging from scruffy to downright unsafe. And that goes for Hyde Park as well.
--some parts of Jamaica Plain are perfectly fine, but certain parts, for example around Jackson Square and to the east of the subway tracks, are definitely not.
--much of South Boston is fine, but the area northwest of Dorchester Ave is pretty scruffy. And the area right around the Old Colony Housing Project is not at all good.
--a few areas of Dorchester are good, notably Lower Mills and Savin Hill. And Melville Street west of Dot Ave is okay, but surrounded by unsafe areas. Otherwise, Dorchester is a slum and flat-out unsafe.
--Roxbury? You're kidding, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston