Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 06:54 AM

48 posts, read 217,543 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting Boston in August and we wanted to do an "engagement" style photo session in urban Boston. Just wanted to know all the good areas for photo ops, when people see the pics, we want it to be automatically known that we're in Boston! We've looked at pics online and we love the architecture, the scenery, Boston definitely has some European flavor...but we don't know the names of any of these areas to tell the photographer!

Any photographer recommendations are welcome also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,169 times
The Public Garden is the obvious choice. Comm Ave, Old North Church, Columbus Park, Charles River, Beacon Hill, Statehouse, Old Statehouse, Harvard, MIT ...

Look at my pix in the Photo thread. See something you like, ask me.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 17,122 times
boston commons is good. get a pic on the commons with the state house in the background

Old 03-10-2010, 04:32 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
The Public Garden is the obvious choice. Comm Ave, Old North Church, Columbus Park, Charles River, Beacon Hill, Statehouse, Old Statehouse, Harvard, MIT ...

Look at my pix in the Photo thread. See something you like, ask me.
These are all good. In addition to Comm Av, try a side street in the Back Bay (like Marlborough St) or Beacon Hill (Acorn St. is a famous cobblestoned street).

For the Charles River, you can go on the Longfellow Bridge, which has a view of the esplanade and the Back Bay skyline. Also on Memorial Drive near MIT, which is directly across from the Back Bay skyline, and the Harvard (Mass. Av.) bridge, which has a view of the river, the Back Bay and Beacon Hill with the State House dome. Piers Park in East Boston also has a good skyline view, as does the walkway on the water near the Moakley federal courthouse (or the Moakley Bridge next door).

Otherwise: Quincy Market. Outside (or, even better, inside) Fenway Park. Near or in a popular T station. Near the USS Constitution in Charlestown. Near the MFA on Huntington Avenue. Copley Square, in front of Trinity Church and the Hancock building. Christian Science Plaza (a reflecting pool next to the church has views of the Prudential tower). Top of the Prudential tower looking down on the city. Duck Boats. Old Granary Burying Ground ('til death do us part') and Park Street Church. On the Greenway near the Custom House tower. Marshall Street near the Union Oyster House and Green Dragon.

For a more gritty Boston feel, on any block of three deckers.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 PM

44 posts, read 111,072 times
I personally like the Financial District, near the Langham hotel.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
^I like that area too. A lot of people write it off as merely a business district, but the architectural blend is quite striking. The curving urban canyons of the Financial District are unique to Boston and a bit of lower Manhattan.

Holden's suggestions are excellent. I think Copley Square is perfect. While you're at it, take a walk inside the Boston Public Library (facing the Western edge of the plaza). Absolutely gorgeous. Get your photo taken in there. One area I like to go on weekends when the sky is clear is the top level of the parking garage at 100 Clarendon St. right across from the Hancock. There are usually no cars on the roof and the view is stunning. It's a unique vista (the Hancock towers over you) and you feel like you have this massive footprint in the heart of the city all to yourself.

I live in Mission Hill and the Mission Church always stands out as incredibly striking to me. I think it may just be me because when I try to explain it to friends they kind of respond with "yeah, yeah, yeah." Anyway, whether you're Catholic or not, it's a beautiful facility.

I'd also suggest North Square or the Paul Revere Mall/ Old North Church in the North End. North Square is one of my favorite urban spaces anywhere. Paul Revere's old home is right there too. It's very unique to Boston. Some of the old streets in Charlestown (not far from the U.S.S. Constitution) have an incredibly colonial feel too.

I could go on... there are so many.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 AM

48 posts, read 217,543 times
Wow, so many great suggestions! Thanks to all of you!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^I like that area too. A lot of people write it off as merely a business district, but the architectural blend is quite striking. The curving urban canyons of the Financial District are unique to Boston and a bit of lower Manhattan.
Yeah, I agree. Also Post Office Square, and Water St and Batterymarch near the Hungarian uprising monument.

Quote:
Holden's suggestions are excellent. I think Copley Square is perfect. While you're at it, take a walk inside the Boston Public Library (facing the Western edge of the plaza). Absolutely gorgeous. Get your photo taken in there.
True. The staircase inside and the courtyard are amazing. I don't know if it fits with your engagement theme, but a very cool picture is the wrought-iron lamps on the BPL with the Hancock tower and Copley Plaza Hotel behind.

This photographer, Della Huff (who, alas, has moved to LA), took some great photos of many of the places we've mentioned. Look through her stuff and you'll get an idea of what we're talking about.

Boston Public Library at Night photo - Della Huff photos at pbase.com

Beantown Photo Gallery by Della Huff at pbase.com
Boston Fine Art Prints Photo Gallery by Della Huff at pbase.com
Boston Stock Images Photo Gallery by Della Huff at pbase.com

Quote:
One area I like to go on weekends when the sky is clear is the top level of the parking garage at 100 Clarendon St. right across from the Hancock. There are usually no cars on the roof and the view is stunning. It's a unique vista (the Hancock towers over you) and you feel like you have this massive footprint in the heart of the city all to yourself.
Sounds great!

Quote:
I live in Mission Hill and the Mission Church always stands out as incredibly striking to me. I think it may just be me because when I try to explain it to friends they kind of respond with "yeah, yeah, yeah." Anyway, whether you're Catholic or not, it's a beautiful facility.
I love that church too. It's also a great spot because of the view over the city from the playground next door. I wonder if you could get the basilica and the city view in the same photo.

Quote:
I'd also suggest North Square or the Paul Revere Mall/ Old North Church in the North End. North Square is one of my favorite urban spaces anywhere. Paul Revere's old home is right there too. It's very unique to Boston. Some of the old streets in Charlestown (not far from the U.S.S. Constitution) have an incredibly colonial feel too.
Yes. Some of my favorite streets in Charlestown are: Monument Av, Warren St, Common and Park Sts, and Putnam St. A special gem is Pleasant St at the corner of the Bunker Hill Park. The street is very narrow and drops dramatically down a hill, leaving a view of old wood-frame houses and the Zakim Bridge and Hancock Tower in the background. It really combines several features of the Boston landscape.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I could go on... there are so many.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
One scene that I think really says "Boston" is a view up the river that centers on the Longfellow Bridge. A view of that old stone arch span shot at a moment when there is a red line train crossing the bridge, as in the pic in this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lo...ru_chopped.jpg, but with a more panoramic perspective that includes some of those old brick townhouses along the riverfront, is the quintessence of Boston.

Last edited by ogre; 03-11-2010 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston