Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:16 PM

26 posts, read 57,553 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

I'm planning a trip to Boston with my fiance as we are attending a seminar in the downtown area. We'll be staying for 4 days, but the downtown hotels are a bit out of our price range for that long of a stay. Does anybody have a recommendation for a hotel w/ access to (I think it's called Redline) train that will fit our budget a little better. Looking for anything between $65-90/night. We need to be in downtown Boston at 9:00 on Sat. and Sun. and we won't be driving, so getting to the city is our biggest worry. Would it be better to stay near airport to catch a shuttle in/out of downtown? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 PM

107 posts, read 286,707 times
wenzell

There are many train, bus, and transit options that crisscross Boston proper and surrounds. Do you know the name of the venue where your seminar is going to be held?
It may make it easier to widen your search options and lower your price if we can locate where the seminar will be held.

In the mean time try Beacon St. Guest House. It is off the green line as oppose to the red but in their location it is not difficult to transfer if need be. It is close into the city and rates are resonable. They have rooms and suites that I believe start around $70 a night. I think the address is 463 Beacon.
Don't hold me to the exact address.

Enjoy the city

gracie

Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 PM

12,705 posts, read 21,855,072 times
I can't recommend Hotwire.com enough. Wait until 3 or so days before you need to be in Boston and use hotwire.com. What hotwire does is fill unreserved hotel rooms in the city for below advertised costs. The way it works is you put in the city and the dates you'll be staying. The search will return with prices, star ratings and a neighborhood (If you need to be on the Redline, look in the Faneuil Hall/Financial District area, but Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Copley Square an even the Theatre District will work). The search WON'T return a hotel name until after you've purchased it. This is because hotwire can sell the hotels at prices below what the hotel is offering directly (aka below advertised price). 3 or 4 star hotels in downtown neighborhoods (the ones I've listed) are all safe, clean, and in good proximity to public transit. Howtire is the absolutely the best deal for hotels in the city.

I just stayed at the Omni Parker House hotel for $60 last Friday for an evening out with my girlfriend. The same room was advertised at $160 on the Omni website. I know people are a little hesitant to use the service if they can't find out the name of the hotel until after they pay, but in Downtown Boston, it's perfectly fine. If you stick to hotels in the downtown neighborhoods (I listed them above), you won't be in bad or dangerous areas. You'll also pay a lot less than advertised prices on hotel websites or other services like Orbitz. If you don't use hotwire (or bid on Priceline) you'll likely be stuck at a suburban hotel a ways from downtown for $60-90/night.

Where is the seminar, by the way?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie09 View Post
wenzell

There are many train, bus, and transit options that crisscross Boston proper and surrounds. Do you know the name of the venue where your seminar is going to be held?
It may make it easier to widen your search options and lower your price if we can locate where the seminar will be held.

In the mean time try Beacon St. Guest House. It is off the green line as oppose to the red but in their location it is not difficult to transfer if need be. It is close into the city and rates are resonable. They have rooms and suites that I believe start around $70 a night. I think the address is 463 Beacon.
Don't hold me to the exact address.

Enjoy the city

gracie
Gracie-

Thanks for the response. It's being held at the Hilton Boston Back Bay Hotel (40 Dalton St.)---Rates there are anywhere from $220-$300/ night. We just can't afford that for our extended stay. Looking for some options! Much appreciated.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:15 PM

^That's actually right next to the Green Line. Any branch of the Green Line will work as Hynes or Prudential, as well as Symphony stops are all nearby. Here's a good website to to look at to get a feel for the subway system.

Again, anywhere in the Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Faneuil Hall, Financial District, Theatre District, Copley Plaza and Chinatown areas will put you within easy access via the Subway. Even if you're not RIGHT on the Green Line, you can easily transfer from any of the other (Blue, Red, Orange and Silver) lines at a downtown "hub" station. The John Hancock Hotel and Conference Center offers affordable rates and is near your destination. There's a Howard Johnson right next to Fenway Park (1 quick stop on the Green line or a 10-15 minute walk to the conference center). You'll be able to find rates under $100 there unless it's a red sox home game. The Midtown Hotel may be your best option. It is a 5 minute walk to the Hilton and rates are under $90/night. They have a promo right now where if you stay 2 nights, the third is 50% off. Still, hotwire will get you a better hotel for less money if you're willing to wait. Anyway, hope that helps!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM

120 posts, read 382,272 times
There is a great little place in your price range about three blocks away called the Oasis Guest House. It's well managed and convenient to the Back Bay Hilton:

http://www.oasisgh.com/

Old 03-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Well, I'll be staying 4 days over Memorial Day Wknd, and the Red Sox play all 4 days at home as well. I think I'm hitting some pretty crummy $-timing as far as hotels. Then again, can't wait to catch a Thurs or Fri. game at Fenway!---Any more hotel suggestions? Think it's still a little too early to book, but with Memorial Day, I should probably book sooner rather than later.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 PM

5,514 posts, read 6,117,697 times
As lrfox noted there is a HoJo in KEnmore Square just a couple of blocks from Fenway. My father stayed there when he came to visit for my graduation and seemed happy with it. I don't know exactly what there charges are but I expect they would be pretty reasonable given the location.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzel_777 View Post
Well, I'll be staying 4 days over Memorial Day Wknd, and the Red Sox play all 4 days at home as well. I think I'm hitting some pretty crummy $-timing as far as hotels. Then again, can't wait to catch a Thurs or Fri. game at Fenway!---Any more hotel suggestions? Think it's still a little too early to book, but with Memorial Day, I should probably book sooner rather than later.
Actually, I think booking sooner is a better idea. Memorial Day Weekend is a big one in Boston. The "unofficial" start to summer. If you wait, the rates will rise due to availability. The Midtown is already charging close to $140/night for that weekend. That rate is sure to rise.

Hotwire may still work, but usually during special or busy weekends, hotwire's rates are closer to normal rates due to lack of vacant rooms. Try bidding on Priceline. You can even do that now at no penalty. Select the neighborhood(s) you want, minimum star rating (1-5) and what you're willing to pay (start at around $80) and see if they can find something for you during that weekend. Note that you will have to enter payment information before it searches and if a hotel accepts your bid, you'll be reserved there immediately. Like hotwire, you won't know the name until after you pay. If you're low-ball bids aren't accepted now, you won't have to book anything. So it can't hurt to just play around with lower numbers to see if you can get lucky. Also like hotwire, the rates are lower the closer you wait until your departure.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Actually, I think booking sooner is a better idea. Memorial Day Weekend is a big one in Boston. The "unofficial" start to summer. If you wait, the rates will rise due to availability. The Midtown is already charging close to $140/night for that weekend. That rate is sure to rise.

Hotwire may still work, but usually during special or busy weekends, hotwire's rates are closer to normal rates due to lack of vacant rooms. Try bidding on Priceline. You can even do that now at no penalty. Select the neighborhood(s) you want, minimum star rating (1-5) and what you're willing to pay (start at around $80) and see if they can find something for you during that weekend. Note that you will have to enter payment information before it searches and if a hotel accepts your bid, you'll be reserved there immediately. Like hotwire, you won't know the name until after you pay. If you're low-ball bids aren't accepted now, you won't have to book anything. So it can't hurt to just play around with lower numbers to see if you can get lucky. Also like hotwire, the rates are lower the closer you wait until your departure.
Yea, I've done the priceline thing a few times. Might be an option I'll have to consider. I actually booked plane tickets yesterday (Found a great deal $158/RT from our little regional airport) Looking at hotels closer to the airport. Trying to find one with a shuttle service that will go to Downtown Boston. Otherwise, is there a train that runs from the airport to downtown Boston? Any additional help about the area would be fantastic. Any recommendations about hotels near Logan? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston