Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 19,452 times

Advertisements

Moving to Boston in a couple of months, and already have an appointment set up with a renting agent to look. Am I locked into looking with this one agent, or can I go to different agencies and look with them? Not sure if you are locked into one like if you were buying a house. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 AM

25 posts, read 123,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegjud View Post
Moving to Boston in a couple of months, and already have an appointment set up with a renting agent to look. Am I locked into looking with this one agent, or can I go to different agencies and look with them? Not sure if you are locked into one like if you were buying a house. Thanks!
You're only locked if you sign a contract so stating.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:20 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,935 times
Don't bother using an agent to find an apartment in boston. Just goto craigslist. Keep in mind that 99% of the apartments are overpriced, miniscule, old, mediocre, junk!!! Don't think you will find anything new, or very nice within the $1,000 - $2,000 range!!! Boston's rental market is highway robbery, and one of the most mediocre I've seen. All of the "nice" apartments will typically exceed $3,000 per month!! lmao....

Good Luck!! and Don't give up!!

Old 06-21-2007, 05:33 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,892 times
I wouldn't put it that harshly. We were just apartment-hunting and found a great place for 1350 that includes all utilities, about 1,000 sq ft, and quite nice I have to say. We did see 20 different places in a couple of days though, and most of them were not impressive, so hang in there and you'll find something to your liking!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:12 AM

I don't think I'm being harsh, I'm merely stating the harsh reality of the Boston rental market, and It seems that you're recent experience in apartment shopping supported my point 1 out of 20 isn't what I'd refer to as anything remotley close to good. This poster should be given the truth about the Boston apartment rental market.

It's pretty much common knowledge that Boston market for apartments isn't very stellar, in comparison to other major cities--especially for apartments in the $1,000-$2,000 range.

Last edited by seldomseen; 06-22-2007 at 04:20 AM..

Old 06-22-2007, 06:45 AM

646 posts, read 1,787,892 times
I didn’t say that only 1 out of 20 was good, you can only live in one apartment at the time, so we had to choose one. However, I would say that out of the 20 apartments we looked at 7-8 were good, and rest weren’t too impressive. These were all apartments within the 1,000-1,500 range. I’m sure most people are aware of the fact that Boston is a relatively expensive city and that isn’t as easy to find an apartment in the city. I also wouldn’t say that 99% of the apartments are overpriced, if people weren’t willing to pay the rent asked, the landlords would have to lower the rent, it’s all about supply and demand.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 AM

As a matter of fact rental prices in Boston have been dropping, and or landlords are offering concessions--just to get thier properties rented. Prices aren't always indicative of supply and demand all the time either. If people are will to pay the high prices, then people will ask for high rental prices; factors such as location, amenties, size, features, etc play a role in rental prices too. The bottom line pretty much is, that in Boston Metro $1,000-$2,000 really isn't going to afford a person anything really "nice". And this is primarily because the majority of rental properties in Boston are older tenament/row-housing types dwellings. Some of these type apartments have been nicely remodeled on the inside/outside, but the majority of them are just sheer yuck! lol Not knocking the Boston rental market...just stating the reality of it for the majority of renters in this market terrirtory.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,529 times
You want to try for Beacon Hill. More professionals, fewer students, safe neighborhood right in the center of town. You can get "nice" for around $2000, but yes, it will be a 'rowhouse.' John Kerry lives in one.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:09 PM

Just check out craigslist.com for apartments in Boston. The Boston apartment market sucks! Just about everything you that will be available will mainly be small, old, decrepid, overpriced apartments in crappy/seedy parts of town, that people consider sought-after! lol Consider getting an apartment in an abutting town outside of Boston...the rents will be cheaper, and you will have a better chance at getting more for you money too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: