Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:00 AM

14 posts, read 31,325 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning a one or two day trip to Boston (I live close by, but out of state) and I would like some opinions on the best place to try Boston Cream Pie and seafood (at a reasonable price). I'm bringing along my cousin from overseas so she can experience Boston.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 06:31 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
I just had to comment because I don't think I've ever been asked where to find Boston Cream Pie and have nto a clue where I've seen it on the menu in recent years. (Could be on many menus, I just overlook it)The closest thing I saw was a restaurant that served Boston Cream Pie Cheesecake which was made for them by the Cheesecake Factory.

Good seafood, I always liked Skipjacks but haven't been there in years. It's a small, locally owned chain. Others will swear by Anthony's Pier 4 or No Name. No Name is just okay in my book but it is pretty cheap. The other spot we like is The Barking Crab. We used to go in for Bloody Mary's, steamers and live music on Sunday early afternoons.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,859 times
fyi the best boston cream pie is at the oak room in copley. it was invented at the omni parker house though.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:25 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
The oak room is beautiful.

What about Legal Seafood? Or...Oceanaire? The Oceanaire Seafood Room - Welcome!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,439 times
The Oak room is an awesome place but I would also encourage going to Durgin Park and The Barking Crab.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Mike's Pastry, a tourist mecca in the North End, has Boston Cream Pie, I believe (perhaps slices as well as whole pies). Not sure if it's authentic or of good quality. The desert is more like a cake, of course, than any kind of pie.

I do like the version at Flour Bakery Cafe's two locations (South End and near Children's Museum. . It's about $4.95 per slice but high quality. I think it's offered daily. It's a square shape with a dark ganache and filled with nice cream. This spot was on Food Network last year for Bobby Flay's competition featuring his vs. their famous stick buns. Very popular spot for yuppies.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 AM

925 posts, read 2,742,677 times
My family loves stopping by Mike's, plus it's nice to walk around the North End.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:41 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Dunkin Donuts has a Boston Cream Pie donut...

Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,877 times
You know where the big rage is lately for Boston Creme pie, which is actually cake filled with creme? It's right in the North End on Hanover Street at "Lyndell's" Bakery. There bakery actually is located (originally) for years and years in Somerville, MA., but they opened a smaller "version" of it right on Hanover Street in the North End recently, so look for it. They sell the mini Boston creme pie's, they're awesome and a lot of people are hooked on them from the greater Boston area. GO there some day for one, you'll see what I mean. There cupcakes are to die for too from there!

When I worked in downtown Boston's Financial District a few times we walked up to "The Omni Parker House" on Tremont Street for their Boston Creme Pie. YES, it was awesome from there, so if you're near that Hotel, GO in there for dessert and order a slice, it's magnificient from here & why wouldn't it be, they invented it right in this hotel years ago!

If you want a good lobster roll right in downtown Boston's Financial District without driving all the way up to Maine, NH or Mass's Cape Ann or down to Cape Cod, then go right to "James Hook Lobster". Put it on your list, it's a good one! You will enjoy their lobster rolls from here! They had a fire a few years ago and now lately have a new retail facility, it's located at 15 Northern Avenue. GO there if you're in that vicinity. The line to get a lobster roll is usually long at lunch time between noon and 2, so just time it right that's all:

James Hook & Company

I saw another incredible place to get a lobster roll and it's B&G Oysters in the South End, they're Maine Lobster Rolls charging $27, (yikes)
but did they look delicious from here! Barbara Lynch (chef & owner) was on the TLC network last week showing how they create them here. She uses lemon juice & they were out of this world good from MY vantage point, so now this place is on MY list for the summer time! I'd definitely love to try one from here. If any one out there has already let me know!

http://www.bandgoysters.com/#bgo_food

Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere, Saugus, Medford, Danvers & there other locations are out of this world good for lobster rolls too of course, their famous roast beef sandwiches & delicious seafood plates. All great no matter which one you go to, they're landmark institutions! They're opening a new one any day right in Allston. Here's info from the Kelly's website. THAT will be a gold mine in that location! Good marketing job whoever planned that one!

Allston
1227 Commonwealth Avenue
at the Intersection of Commonwealth Ave and Harvard Ave
OPENING SOON

As far as seafood lunch or dinner right smack in downtown Boston that's reasonable, another gem of a place that we love to go to, is a little hole in the wall but JUST wonderful, "The Yankee Lobster Company", it's located @ 300 Northern Avenue further down past Boston's World Trade Center along the waterfront. It's a good place to go for a lobster dinner too so remember that. In the nice weather, they have patio dining here & it's VERY reasonably priced, you can't beat it actually. YES Skipjacks is awesome and so isn't Legal Seafoods, but they get you in your wallet, this place doesn't:

Yankee Lobster Company and Fish Market

Another Boston local favorite these days and it's a good one, so keep it on your A-list, is called "The Dry Dock Cafe" & it's located at 7 Drydock Avenue behind the Boston Design Center at the Black Falcon Terminal. It's actually easy to get to. Remember though they're only open for dinner at night on Thursday and Friday nights only, YET, they're open for breakfast AND lunch Monday - Friday. They're NOT open on weekends, it's the location of it most likely & they do very well during the week. Well, it's unbelievable here for lunch & if you are there for dinner that's even better. Bring a bottle of wine, you can bring your own here, that's the beauty of it. If you walk down from Northern Avenue, you could stop at J. Pace and pick up a bottle of wine to bring to the Dry Dock Cafe. Remember that they have daily seafood specials for $10. You can't beat it with a stick here it's a gem with unbelievable seafood plates, so keep it on your radar. You'll see a lot of police, firemen, local politicians here some afternoons, now THEY know where to dine, so you know it's a good one! When you walk in check their board, they have their specials on it all the time. It's a place like your grandmothers kitchen or a little like a cafetaria, but SO worth it, you definitely won't be disappointed. Here's their menu, check out the "chef's specials" to give you an idea of what they serve:

Dry Dock Cafe - Boston Restaurant - MenuPages Diners & Coffee Shops Restaurant Search

Hope this helps! Now that you know our real Boston neighborhood secrets, GO there & enjoy.

Bon Appetite!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 05-14-2010 at 05:46 AM..

Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
Default some history

Boston Creme Pie was created by French chef M. Sanzian at Boston's Parker House Hotel.

The Boston cream pie is the official dessert of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, declared as such in 1996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston