U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:53 AM

17 posts, read 39,611 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I'm new to the forums, and I'm a British medical student from Birmingham. I'm hoping to do my post-grad training in the States, and want some experience, so I decided to do 2 months of electives at UMass in Worcester.

Now I know its still several months away (April-May 2011), but just want some pre-lim info on commuting and accommodation.

I'm 25 years old...is Worcester a fun city to live in? I'm thinking of living in Boston and commuting by train to Worcester...bad idea?

What kind of rent am I looking at? $800/month get me something decent?

Thanks guys,

P.S. Sorry mods for double post, feel free to delete one. Just not sure how much activity the forums get.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 PM

289 posts, read 983,815 times
Im 20 years old and living in NYC but I was born in Italy and lived most my life in MA.
I lived for 7 years in the town of Shrewsbury right accross quinsigamond lake close to worcester. I liked Worcester but its a decaying city sadly. Its getting dertier and dertier but the possitive thing is that the cost of living is relatively low.

Before moving to NYC I lived in South Boston, It costs alot to live in Boston, its the third most expensive city in the US. You could take the Commuter rail from south station to Worcester Union Station but it takes about 35 minutes and the commuter rail is pretty expensive from Boston to Worcester. If I were you Id get a town house in Worcester but relatively close to the downtown.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply. How much is the commuter rail per day from Boston -> Worcester return? $10?

Yeh, I think I'd rather live in Boston than Worcester...35 minute commute isnt too bad. I checked on teh MBTA website...it shows that South Boston -> Worecester is like 1hr35min...were you talking about a direct train? How expensive is it?

Last edited by Blitz2011; 04-22-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 PM

7,228 posts, read 6,550,671 times
I don't think you've thought this out completely. You shuld probably look at the Worcester line commuter rail schedule at mbta.com to get a more accurate vision of travel time between Boston and Worcester.

Also, keep in mind that the time on the train from South Station in Boston to Union Station in Worcester is not your entire commute. It doesn't include getting to South Station in order to make your train. With your budget, it's unlikely will be living a short walk of South Station, so you need to tack on extra subway time. Do you know where the medical school is in relation to the Worcester train station, incidentally? Is it walking dsitance?

The commuter rail doesn't run very frequently. During non-peak hours, it only runs once every hour or two. Do you have any idea what your schedule will be like during your training? You should see how well it matches up with the train schedule...

I can't help you with Worcester, but for two months, it would probably be best to just live close to school. Do you expect to be having much free time anyway? (It doesn't seem like the medical students I know do...)

Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Thanks for that info,

It now turns out my friend will be living with me, and he has a car! So how long is the drive from Boston to Worcester? We're thinking of maybe living somewhere in between, like Framingham maybe?

You're right, I will be working hard for those 2 months, but I figure weekends we can chill.

Need to find some places in Boston area to live, if central boston is not feasible....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I don't think you've thought this out completely. You shuld probably look at the Worcester line commuter rail schedule at mbta.com to get a more accurate vision of travel time between Boston and Worcester.

Also, keep in mind that the time on the train from South Station in Boston to Union Station in Worcester is not your entire commute. It doesn't include getting to South Station in order to make your train. With your budget, it's unlikely will be living a short walk of South Station, so you need to tack on extra subway time. Do you know where the medical school is in relation to the Worcester train station, incidentally? Is it walking dsitance?

The commuter rail doesn't run very frequently. During non-peak hours, it only runs once every hour or two. Do you have any idea what your schedule will be like during your training? You should see how well it matches up with the train schedule...

I can't help you with Worcester, but for two months, it would probably be best to just live close to school. Do you expect to be having much free time anyway? (It doesn't seem like the medical students I know do...)

Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Thats good that your friend has a car because if you took the train from Boston it would be no problem at all but once you got to worcester there is a problum because the worcester bus system isnt really that good.

Framingham is a good place to live in but I need to know will you be taking the car or the train to worcester? Is your friend going to the same school you are?

I think Framingham is good enough, get a place there and then drive to the station and go towards worcester. It would cost about $5 roundtrip a day so I would suggest you get the monthly ticket.

The weekends when you want to go into the big city just take the commuter rail in the other direction.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Yeh, we'll be going to the same school, so it works out pretty sweet.

So now we just need to look around for cities to live in. Any other suggestions apart from Framingham?

Also, just for knowledge, how much is a commuter ticket from Worecester->Boston, and Framingham->Worcester, or Fram->Boston?

Also, how far is the drive from Fram to Worcester, and then to the city? I saw on map, it looks to be about 30 min each way?

Thx for your help

Old 04-22-2010, 04:42 PM

Another town you could try out is Natick its adjacent to Framingham on the Boston side, its a beautiful town but it may cost a bit more than Framingham another town closer to Boston but still on the Commuter rail line is wellesley.

For Worcester to Boston its about ten dollars round trip
For Framingham to worcester its about 5 dollars roundtrip
For Framingham to Boston its about 6 dollars roundtrip
These numbers easily add up and I think you should get the monthly commuter rail ticket its worth it and you can go back and forth as many times you want.

From Worcester to Boston its about 45 Minutes with moderate traffic
Framingham to Worcester it would probably be faster to take route nine in stead of the Mass Pike and itll probably take about 30 minutes and to Boston probably a bit more because of the traffic. I insist you use the commuter rail, its the best way to get around.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 PM

5,817 posts, read 15,132,995 times
I posted this same info at your other thread, in the general MA forum, but this thread seems to have more responses, so maybe you're more likely to see this here:

Here is some info from the transit authority:

Timetables for the Worcester line:

Outbound (Boston to Worcester):

MBTA Commuter Rail > Framingham / Worcester Lines Schedules and Maps

Inbound (Worcester to Boston):

MBTA Commuter Rail > Framingham / Worcester Lines Schedules and Maps

Fares (Worcester is in zone 8):

Fare and Pass Information for Commuter Rail Service.

The ride is about 1 hr. and 45 min. A monthly pass for commuter rail between Boston and Worcester is 225 dollars. A single round trip would be $15.50. There are a couple of trains from Boston to Worcester during the usual morning commuting hours and a couple of trains from Worcester to Boston during the afternoon commuting hours, but there are many more trains serving people commuting from Worcester toward Boston in the morning and back to Worcester at night.

Based on this information, you can decide for yourself, but if I had to make this choice I'd say it looks too expensive and like too long a ride, with too few trains going to Worcester in the morning and back to Boston in the afternoon, to live in Boston and commute to Worcester. If the choice were mine, I'd live in Worcester, enjoy the local Worcester nightlife during most of my free time, and occasionally use the train for a day trip to Boston on the weekend.

Regarding rent, I don't know how the rents are in Worcester, though I know that in general housing costs are lower the farther you get from Boston. In or very near Boston, you would most likely need a roommate, or roommates, to share expenses for you to have many options at all with a rental budget of 800/mo.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 AM

How is that possible? I remember taking the worcester line from the Grafton stop all until south station, it didnt take that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston