Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:57 AM

39 posts, read 46,514 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved to Boston and found a decent place to live. I'm currently living in the West End by Charles Mass. General Hospital. I share the apartment with 2 other roommates. Here's my bills:

Rent: $922 in the West End Apartments (West End)
Electric: about $15-25
Gas: Included in rent
Water: Included in rent
Cell phone: $36
Cable and Internet: $30
Food: Highly doubt you'll spend only $300 a month- unless you eat Subway's 5 dollar footlongs everyday or clip massive amounts of coupons and shop at Shaw's. There is Chinatown, farmer's markets, and whole paycheck (foods).
Transportation: $45- I buy the 7-day passes for $15 because I walk everywhere.
Entertainment- $11.50 @ AMC theaters
Etc. Renter's insurance- $38/year. Security deposit- $250 (only because I was taking over someone's lease)

I do have to share the bathroom with another roommate and the laundry room is in the basement. $2.05 per load and $0.25 per 10 minutes of the dryer.

Comparing to citygirl_29, I guess I found a pretty decent place to live.

If you haven't found a place to live, you could try this site:

CouchSurfing - BOSTON Open Spaces (Apartment/RoomMate Search)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,202 times
Are you dividing each expense by three? If so, I would think your total cable and electric would cost the same as mine. Also, I pay $19/ month for renters insurance. If BAC wants to live with roommates then she can definitely spend far less money than me. However as a single individual living in an apartment in a safe, decent area will cost a at least $200- $300/ month more than $900. (The last time I lived in an apartment that was $800/mo was before the gentrification of Southie 13 years ago) I currently live in my one bedroom in Somerville and lived in a different apartment in the same area for six years before this one. My previous apartment was for $1600 for a two bedroom so my rent was $800/mo and my portion of the electric bill was $15-30/mo and heat ranged from $20-$75 for my part of the bill. A place with free heat and hot water is ideal I wish I could have found a place but I was unable to find something that offered that option.

If BAC is willing to live with other people I would say that would be the best option to save for living expenses.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:48 PM

39 posts, read 46,514 times
All the expenses are divided by 3 expect rent. You are definitely right. BACgirl is looking for a one bd/one bath. I'm comparing oranges to apples and not apples to apples.

If Bacgirl is looking to save money, it's definitely better to have roommates. You can save on utilities and groceries if you shop at Target/Costco/BJ's. Save money on housing, use it for entertainment. That's what I would do.

And if BACgirl wants to shop at Costco, message me. I've got membership!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:47 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl_29 View Post
Hi BACgirl09. If you don't have a car then I would not recommend Quincy Center. I lived there for two years and I can tell you that there is no way you can live there without a car. I commuted into Downtown Crossing on a daily basis and I would say that it was approximately a 40 minute commute.

I just went apartment shopping recently (to rent) and I would say on average you would have to pay $1400 for a basic (decent) one bedroom in a safe area.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with some of these points. I live in Quincy without a car and have not found it to be difficult in the slightest. Everything is in walking distance: groceries, banks, drug stores, restaurants, library, coffee houses, etc. It's not urban and dense in the way that Cambridge or Somerville are, but if you are near a T stop I don't think living without a car is difficult. At least in the more urban parts of the city, there are sidewalks everywhere. Also, it only takes me 20-25 minutes to get to Downtown Crossing, not 40 (unless you're including time walking to the train and waiting for the train).

As to the prices, again I have to disagree. I have a friend living in Arlington who pays $1050 a month for a huge one-bedroom apartment. I have friends renting a two-bedroom in Brighton for $1400 (i.e., a one-bedroom would be considerably less). My one-bedroom in Quincy costs $1000/month with utilities included; I looked at three apartments and they were all in that price range.

I would say, you certainly couldn't live in the central part of Boston for less than $1400, or in a very desirable area like most of Brookline or Cambridge. But there are a lot of areas where this would be doable.

Last edited by lz1982; 05-15-2010 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,202 times
You are correct the train does only take 20-25 minutes to get into Downtown Crossing. I guess I should have pointed out that I was including walk time (5 minutes) and wait time (@ 10 minutes give or take). I should also clarify that I guess you can walk to some locations Quincy; I just felt it wasn't as accesible as other places in the city and things can be very spread apart on main roads and routes with a lot of traffic.

I just thought Brookline would be easier since it is really close to the Back Bay. If I stayed in the city past midnight it would be a very expensive cab ride back to Quincy if I didn't drive.

It was just suggestion and it really depends on what you are looking for. It helps to provide options.

PS It may be helpful to look on your school's web site because many schools actually have pages listing people looking for roommates, apartments for rent and realtors.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:05 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,492 times
Yes, you are right, Brookline is def. easier for Back Bay. Might also be worth checking out a neighborhood like Roslindale which has the commuter rail and/or orange line into BB.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 PM

6 posts, read 11,972 times
Thanks for all of your recent inputs...

So far, these are my preferences in order of importance:

1) Safety
2) Affordability
3) Quietness (ex: loud neighbors, traffic, sirens, etc.)
4) Necessities (transit, grocery, wal-mart, banks, etc)
** Transit options in order of preference & affordability: subway, bus, commuter train.
5) Commute time to/from school

Based on these preferences, my current housing search, research on Boston neighborhoods, the input to this thread and reviewing city forum post (as far back as June 2009), I have chosen the following neighborhoods/cities:

1) Quincy
2) Brighton
3) Brookline
4) Somerville

Overall, are these Good choices, yes or no?
How walkable are these choices (to store’s, parks, etc)?
How are the bus routes overall within these areas?
How are they on diversity (race and age)? Will I find some grad students and/or young professionals?

Can I get a little more (personal) input on Roslindale?
How are Charlestown, East Boston, and South Boston?
Any info/opinions on the following:
* Quincy -- Falls Blvd and High Point Circle
* Transportation from Quincy Center to Wal-Mart on Falls Blvd
* East Boston -- Maverick Landing Apts
* South Boston -- West Broadway Homes; 50 West Broadway
* Garrison Square Apts

As far as the roommate issue, I have REALLY been outweighing the Pro’s & Con’s over the last month. I think I would not be so bent over that element if finding housing in Boston wasn’t such a hassle, esp. w/ the deposits, etc....
-- For parts of Boston, like Back Bay and South End, to be former landfills and lakes, you’d think trash + water = Gold considering the COL rates! --

But I am currently researching the ProArts College network for others w/ similar interests who are looking for roommates.

I’ve only had 2 experiences w/ roommates & dorm/housemates. The 1st exp was pretty good. The 2nd, well let’s just say I never moved-in, revoked my lease in less than 10 days (due to the landlord failing to meet all requirements w/in the lease and 1 of my 3 roommates craziness) and Gracefully enjoyed living at home and commuting to and from school (15min 1st year; 20-1hr years 2-4).

CityGirl_29 and lz1982 do the two of you mind if I contact you by private message to discuss the apartments I have found more in depth?

Much Love for the great responses!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM

11 posts, read 21,441 times
I'm not sure if you have decided on a place yet... I just saw this thread for the first time today. I've been looking at rentals in Boston area for about the last 3-4 weeks. My sister lives in Sommerville and I live in Providence so I'm already somewhat familiar with Boston. I went through all the same questions and scenarios you are, but my commute takes me to North Station. I agree 100% with the responses above regarding the commute from Quincy area. The red line in general is (imho) the most problematic and least timely of all the lines. Avoid transfers as much as possible!
I ended up just signing a lease at a newly renovated loft building in Chelsea. It's in the "Box District" which seems to be the most livable area, especially for a commuter as it is about half a mile from the commuter rail, and about 2 blocks from the Haymarket Express bus. I got a really nice one bedroom (again, brand new... I will be the first occupant when I move in in Sept), w/d in unit, all brand new appliances, green features like low-flow toilets, etc. for $1350 a month. There were other equally as nice one bedroom units between 1225-1575. No utilities are included, but they do include parking and it's only $500 security deposit. It's called atlas lofts (atlas-lofts.com). I spent quite a bit of time actually visiting a lot of places, so if you have any specific complexes in mind let me know (I may have just been there). I'd be happy to let you know my thoughts!
Good luch with your search!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:34 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Of the places you've listed, Brookline is your best option covering the parameters you've set. I might recommend a few other places, but they would involve the commuter rail, which you've suggested is not your preference. If you are willing to consider it, then I'd suggest Roslindale. It is quiet, safe, affordable, and packed with interesting restaurants and stores, along with a small grocery store, all walking distance to the train station. The train ride to Back Bay is 12 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston