Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 45,381 times

Advertisements

So, we have the possibility of relocating to the Boston area for work. Myself, wife and 10 year old daughter. We currently live in the greater Cleveland area and, all jokes aside, our school system is fantastic.

From what we have read, Boston Latin School is one of the best hight schools in the area, and we are fine with living in Boston, but don't want her to have bad schools until she (might) get in to there.

I would say we are looking at $400k max for the house and don't want to move several times.

Other areas we are thinking are Arlington, Belmont, Lexington, etc.

We want to be close to Boston and are not looking for the rural experience.

Any help or gudiance would be great. Are there good middle schools in Boston for the two years before BLS? Are the other HS's in the area just as good as BLS and so we should look elsewhere?

Many thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,175 times
Admission is extremely competitive with fewer than 20% of applicants gaining admission. Students are only accepted in grades 7 and 9 so there is no transferring in at a later grade. I would not recommend moving just for a high school that you don't know if your daughter will even get into. Another issue is your 400K budget - it's very low for some of the other areas mentioned.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Admission is extremely competitive with fewer than 20% of applicants gaining admission. Students are only accepted in grades 7 and 9 so there is no transferring in at a later grade. I would not recommend moving just for a high school that you don't know if your daughter will even get into. Another issue is your 400K budget - it's very low for some of the other areas mentioned.
Appreciate the very quick reply! What areas might you recommend with that budget for housing with good schools? Many thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 01:52 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
You say, "not rural" but how about suburban? Most schools in the suburbs are great and 400k could put you close enough to the city. Would commute via commuter rail be O.K. for work? Sharon, MA comes immediately to mind.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,175 times
I'm more familiar with south of Boston- Braintree and Canton are good choices- anywhere but the East Braintree area. Some people would recommend Quincy and Weymouth. I don't like either- just not my cup of tea, but was further convinced of that after a high school sporting event and witnessing the trashy behavior of the team and coach from Weymouth.

I'm sure you will get some excellent suggestions from others who are far more knowledgeable about the Greater Boston area.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Yes, suburban would be great. We're looking to be within 30 minutes (max) from Boston.

We really appreciate all the input from everyone.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:13 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
I'm not sure I'd move into the City of Boston just for Latin. It's a great school but there's a decent chance of not being accepted, and there are plenty of great public schools in the area. The mayor's also looking to crack down on people who live outside Boston but, one way or another, pretend to live in the city to go to Latin. So I wouldn't recommend that.

I grew up largely in Arlington and live in Belmont now. Both are great, as is Lexington (the vibe is different in each of those three towns), but for $400K, you'd be stuck in a condo (e.g. splitting a two-family house). It would be hard to get a single family for that price in those towns, and in most places with good schools within 30 mins of Boston. Greater Boston's just much more expensive than the Cleveland area, at least as you get closer in.

When you say the job is in the "Boston area," where do you mean? The location of the job will have a tremendous impact on what towns are a feasible commute.

If it's in downtown Boston, or south, Sharon, Canton, etc. are good suggestions. Sharon's about 30-35 mins from South Station on the train. Keep in mind that's time on the train, not door-to-door. Getting to and from the train takes time, and can turn a "30 minute" train ride into a 55 minute commute.

North of Boston, maybe Wakefield, Melrose. Perhaps also Lynnfield. Swampscott is a small and often-overlooked town on the coast with some relative housing deals (a bit farther away from major highways, but under half an hour to North Station by train. Marblehead, next door, is a great town but a bit of a hassle to commute from. As remote as Swampscott but no train.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:10 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,058 times
I remember Back when I got accepted 8 years ago, If you buy one of the books at Borders for the ISEE and go over it with your doughter every day until November or whatever when you actually take the test she'll be fine.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:12 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
I guess I'm confused by the question. as mentioned, the OP would need to live w/in the city of Boston in order for his daughter to be considered for any exam school. I don't see a point in buying outside of Boston only to have to scramble for a Boston address 2 years later.

there are 3 exam schools: Boston Latin School, Boston Latin Academy, and the O'Bryant School of Math & Science. depending on how you score, you can have a choice of all 3, 2/3, or just get into the latter (at least this is how it was when I took the test. I had the choice of all 3 but BLA was closer to my house so ended up there). I can speak from personal experience that BLA is a good school. it doesn't get the fanfare BLS gets, but that doesn't make the education you get there any less challenging. I knew a lot of former BLS students that transferred into BLA because of the former school's notorious "sink or swim" attitude. maybe this has changed in the past 10 years or so, IDK. anyways, the kids I knew that transferred said the curriculum wasn't all that different from BLS. sure there's a prestige in getting into BLS but it's not like the other 2 exam schools can't provide an excellent education, better than most other Boston Public Schools

as mentioned, I wouldn't move to Boston just for the chance of your child getting into BLS. if you still plan on moving into the area, look into some suburban schools as well, though beware that the best school are often in the most expensive towns so your $400k max budget won't get you much in those areas

Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 PM

108 posts, read 570,090 times
Boston Latin is overrated anyways. Even if it's a good school, there are bad students that go there. I've heard some of the students get in trouble for dealing drugs and getting into fights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston