Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 02:16 PM

279 posts, read 589,573 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is attending New England School of Law starting this fall. I will be finishing my undergrad in Boston. Additionally, we have two elementary aged children. We are looking for a single family home in a more suburban community with good schools (something that's proving to be not so common in that area). 3-4 bedroom house with a finished basement is ideal. I have found a number of places in our 2500 max price range but am having a hard time figuring out what the best commute would be for him to get to school daily. Either with nearby public trans or a decent driving commute. I used to live in Kennebunkport, Maine and visited Boston a few times. The traffic is definitely undesirable. Can anyone give me an idea of suburbs with good school districts that wouldn't be a bad commute for him? It seems like every place I find (trust me, I've been through realtor.com, craigslist, and a billion private realtor sites almost daily) that is just what we are looking for is an hour away or close to it. If that's just the driving directions, I can't imagine how long it would take with traffic! A couple people my mother knows that used to live in Boston have recommended places further south like New Bedford, Westport, etc. They seem so far away for him to drive though. Help!

Also, I'm not understand MBTA's website very well. Is it even worth it to pay more to live somewhat closer to the city? It seems we could live in New Bedford and he could drive an hour daily, or other cities that are only 15 to 20 minutes from his school (via Yahoo Driving Directions) still take an hour every morning on pub trans (MBTA TRip Planner)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,907,092 times
I think you can find something generally similar to what you want, but you may have to compromise on having all the features you'd prefer. For example, a finished basement might be an extra that would drive up the rent to something above your price range. This might not always be true. It will vary from case to case, but housing in Boston is expensive, so it's difficult to find the perfect place on the budget you're talking about. You'll increase your options by being willing to compromise.

Of the features you're seeking in a house, which are negotiable and which ones do you really have to have? Would you consider living in one half of a two-family house? This is a rental arrangement that is found frequently in many older communties in the Boston area. By the way, in this area, where the housing stock generally is on the older side, an old community does not necessarily mean an area that is dirty or unsafe, or has poor schools. There are some very affluent older towns in the Boston area, with well maintained, classically designed houses from the early 20th century.

How suburban a community do you want to live in? Newton and Brookline are upscale older inner suburbs which are characterized in most neighborhoods by single-family houses, but which in many sections are a bit more densely populated, with smaller yards, than you'd find in classic suburbia. Both towns have good schools, and public transit access to Boston from many neighborhoods. Both may have some rental options in your price range. This is especially true if you're willing to consider two-family houses, but you may find the occasional single-family as well. Here's a Craigslist ad for a single-family in Newton which looks at first glance as if it could have possibilities: Charming Bungalo on a Dead End Street (http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/fee/1732078689.html - broken link).

Arlington and Belmont are two more inner suburban towns you might want to check into. Their schools may not be quite the powerhouses that you'd find in Newton or Brookline, but both towns' schools are generally well regarded. Like Newton and Brookline, Arlington and Belmont are more densely populated suburbs in many neighborhoods, with some urban character in a few local spots. The commute would be a bit longer from Belmont or Arlington than from Newton or Brookline, but would still be fairly reasonable.

A more classically suburban town you might want to check out is Natick. Good schools overall, and especially so at the elemntary level from what I've been told by Natick residents, and you're about 40 minutes from Boston by commuter rail. Here's an ad for a rental in Natick that could be worth checking out: Beautiful Home in West Natick! (http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/abo/1732038797.html - broken link). Even if this property, or the one in Newton in the ad I linked to above, turned out not to suit your needs, these ads at least show that there are some decent houses in nice towns within your rental budget.

As for the question about living close to Boston and using public transit vs. living farther out and driving, keep in mind that the drive from outer suburbs can take a really long time in rush hours. How long will vary depending on the particular location, but you're likely to be better off in terms of time using public transit from an inner or middle-distance suburb rather than driving from a distant exurb. It's a matter of personal preference as well, but I personally would prefer to sit back and relax while riding a train than to get stressed out driving for an hour or hour-and-a-half in heavy traffic. All depends on your priorities.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:13 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
At anything close to the normal rush hour, you'd never be able to drive from Westport or New Bedford to NESL in an hour. 24 and 93 are nightmarish northbound in the morning. And there's no place to park near the school unless he pays a couple of hundred a month, or more, for a lot. Plus all that $3 gas and wear and tear on the car. I'd strongly recommend taking mass transit.

NESL is close (not too long a walk, one stop on the Orange Line) to Back Bay station. There are a couple of commuter rail lines that stop at Back Bay-I'd focus there. They are: Framingham/Worcester line, Needham line, Franklin line, Providence line.

MBTA.com > Commuter Rail Maps and Schedules

I'm not sure from which towns you're seeing the 15 minute drive turn out to be an hour on transit. The drive almost certainly wuuld be longer than 15 mins, and there's the parking issue. MBTA Trip Planner also has some glitches. It depends very much on what start time you enter, for example. If you enter 8:00 and there's no train until 8:20, 20 of the 60 minutes are for waiting for the next scheduled train.

But keep in mind that the transit time will be much longer than what's on the schedule, even if the train's on time. You have to get to the train, park, wait for the train, ride it, then get from Back Bay to NESL on the other end. A 35-minute train ride could easily be an hour or more, door to door.

As long as he'd heading in the morning rush (not mid-afternon, when the train skips those stops) Newtonville or the other parts of Newton along the commuter rail (West Newton and Auburndale) are very convienient. Great schools in Newton and it's a lovely place. Natick's a good suggestion too, on the same line but a longer train ride. Wellesley, in between, is likely too expensive.

On the other lines, Needham also may be too expensive. Westwood, Canton and especially Sharon jump out (that train's pretty quick). You might also check Walpole, but that's a little farther away.

Another option is going to the north. Belmont has a train to North Station (stops in Belmont Ctr and Waverley, which has plenty of rentals, though it might be in a 2-family. I live in one and it's fine). Melrose, on the Haverhill line, is another nice town. Either would be about 20 mins to North Station, then 5 stops on the Orange Line to NE Medical Center, which is right near NESL.

Last edited by holden125; 05-10-2010 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,413,879 times
Some places to check out

WAKEFIELD

I would definitely check out Wakefield, it has great commuter rail access into the city, and a bus to Oak Grove "Orange line" station into the city.
there's a big lake in town Lake Quannapowitt that a lot of people walk around or walk their dogs, rollerbalde around, with a nice playground on it. There's a really nice downtown with lots of services and amenities. There's Breakheart Reservation a nice woods area with hiking and walking trails, a dog run, and a pond beach. The Schools in Wakefield are good and it is a safe area to live and raise children. Its convenient to both 93 and 128 as well.

STONEHAM

Stoneham has good schools and is pretty affordable. It is right on route 28 and has lots of services, close to Wakefield, Woburn, Melrose. You could drive to Woburn next door and take the commuter rail in from Anderson Woburn or park in Wakefield and take the "T" from Wakefield or the Oak Grove bus from Wakefield Center. Stoneham is home to the Olympic figure skater Nancy Kerrigan and has lots of youth activities.

ARLINGTON

Arlington is another affordable town with a rich diverse culture and good mix of people. There are a number of activities in town for youth and adults, and a bike path that is 10 miles each way to Alewife "T" (Red Line) and out to Bedford where you can hook up with other paths, etc. Schools are good in Arlington and there is a nice downtown both Arlington heights and Center. Arlington Heights is a little more desirable than the center and East Arlington, but all of Arlington is fine and safe. East Arlington-Center area would be closer to Davis/Porter Square (Bus wise) than Arl. Hts.

BELMONT

Belmont is a small town with commuter rail right in the center of town, quaint shops and good schools. A typical new england suburban community.
The town has a lot of good town spirit and lots of activities.

WATERTOWN

Watertown has good schools and is convenient to Boston via the Mass Pike and the Charles river roads (memorial drive/Storrow Drive/Soldiers' Field Rd.)
It is a little more built up but is quite affordable and has a good mixture of cultures. There are bus routes into Harvard Square from Watertown and other patts of Boston and "T" Service nearby in the Waverly neighborhood and Belmont. Lots of cultural restaurants and businesses in the area.

BROOKLINE

Brookline Village might be an area closer to the city you might look into . Brookline is only a few miles from Boston but a world apart. It has a lot of options for recreation, dining, and cultural activities. I have heard schools in Brookline are pretty good. There is convenient Green Line transportation into the city and also bus routes. Brookline Village is especially nice.
Look around here.

QUINCY

Quincy is a coastal community on the south shore. The schools in Quincy from what i hear are good, and the Red Line goes right to Quincy. There are recreational activities nearby at Hingham (Wompatuck Park, World's End), (beaches nearby at Hull: Nantasket beach, Wollaston Beach, and the south shore beaches Cohassett, Duxbury, Plymouth, etc etc.)
There's a lot of cultural dining options and businesses in Quincy Center and in neighboring towns. Quincy Shore Drive is especially nice. Lots of youth activities abound in Quin-Z

SHARON

Sharon is a great town with a great atmosphere, and easy commuter access into the city. Great school system as well.
Lots of parks in the vicinity.
Not far from the Blue Hills Reservation as well and Gillette Stadium (home of the Patriots).

NORWOOD

You should still look around in Norwood and see what you can find.
In todays economy there are deals to be had and bargains you can make.
Never say never in todays economy.
Norwood is a good commuter suburb close to Boston and easy access to recreation and commuter rail. Lots of town services in the downtown area.

FOXBORO-MANSFIELD

You might look around Mansfield/Foxboro.
Nice suburban communities on the South shore with Wrentham outlets, Foxboro Patirot place nearby for service, and Gillette Stadium nearby. "T" Service in Walpole and Mansfield. Close to Providence Rhode Island as well.
Good school systems and lots of recreational activities nearby. Close to Cape Cod for weekend getaways, etc.

PLYMOUTH-KINGSTON

You might look at the Plymouth-Kingston area.
Defiitely a beach town, it is also a historical community as well.
Lots of activities for kids and adults alike in the area, close to Cape cod for getaways. Good school systems and commuter rail into Boston

WALTHAM

Waltham is right near I-90 and 128/95. There are some universities right in town and there is a good mixture of cultures and people. There is a nice town square with a lot of services. There is bus service into Boston as well as commuter rail from Waltham. An easy ride into the city via the Pike as well.
Lots of cultural dining experiences and activities in town. Good school system as well.

NEWTON

Newton has great schools and easy "T" access into the city.
A culturally diverse community with lots of things to do in town and in the area. I would suggest definitely looking into Newton. There are two H.S.'s in Newton, Newton North and Newton South.

ANDOVER

Andover is a town on the North Shore, right off 93, and has a lot of services in the area, recreational activities and dining options.
There is commuter rail service into Boston and the area is affordable. It is a good family area.

NORTH ANDOVER

North andover is about the same as Andover , also a good family area.

READING

Reading is a good north shore suburb. Family Suburb with Commuter Service into Boston via rail. It is close to major highways, recreation, shopping/retail services, etc. etc.

Hope this helps :-)

Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 PM

279 posts, read 589,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
At anything close to the normal rush hour, you'd never be able to drive from Westport or New Bedford to NESL in an hour. 24 and 93 are nightmarish northbound in the morning. And there's no place to park near the school unless he pays a couple of hundred a month, or more, for a lot. Plus all that $3 gas and wear and tear on the car. I'd strongly recommend taking mass transit.

NESL is close (not too long a walk, one stop on the Orange Line) to Back Bay station. There are a couple of commuter rail lines that stop at Back Bay-I'd focus there. They are: Framingham/Worcester line, Needham line, Franklin line, Providence line.

I'm not sure from which towns you're seeing the 15 minute drive turn out to be an hour on transit. The drive almost certainly wuuld be longer than 15 mins, and there's the parking issue. MBTA Trip Planner also has some glitches. It depends very much on what start time you enter, for example. If you enter 8:00 and there's no train until 8:20, 20 of the 60 minutes are for waiting for the next scheduled train.

But keep in mind that the transit time will be much longer than what's on the schedule, even if the train's on time. You have to get to the train, park, wait for the train, ride it, then get from Back Bay to NESL on the other end. A 35-minute train ride could easily be an hour or more, door to door.

As long as he'd heading in the morning rush (not mid-afternon, when the train skips those stops) Newtonville or the other parts of Newton along the commuter rail (West Newton and Auburndale) are very convienient. Great schools in Newton and it's a lovely place. Natick's a good suggestion too, on the same line but a longer train ride. Wellesley, in between, is likely too expensive.

On the other lines, Needham also may be too expensive. Westwood, Canton and especially Sharon jump out (that train's pretty quick). You might also check Walpole, but that's a little farther away.

Another option is going to the north. Belmont has a train to North Station (stops in Belmont Ctr and Waverley, which has plenty of rentals, though it might be in a 2-family. I live in one and it's fine). Melrose, on the Haverhill line, is another nice town. Either would be about 20 mins to North Station, then 5 stops on the Orange Line to NE Medical Center, which is right near NESL.

So, do Needham, Westwood, Canton, and Sharon all have rail access?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:19 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,907,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
So, do Needham, Westwood, Canton, and Sharon all have rail access?
Yes.

The stop called "Islington" on the Franklin/Forge Park line to the southwest of Boston is in Westwood. The others have the names of the towns in the station names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston