Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 PM

36 posts, read 112,289 times

Advertisements

I'll have to make my first lengthy drive in Boston! Is I-95 tricky to merge onto or drive on?? or any other particular interstates or roads that generally have merciless drivers? any other tips in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times
Where exactly are you coming from and going to?

In metro Boston, stretches of 95 are also known as Route 128 which can be a little confusing to new drivers. There are also sections where during the rush hours cars can drive in the shoulder. If you're nervous about making the drive, I'd try to avoid the rush hour commuting times since it's so crowded and the drivers are so aggressive.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:39 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,104 times
95 is a pretty easy drive coming from the south (after you pass NYC) until you hit the 95/93 merge, And the only annoying part of it north of boston is the other 95/93 merge. Shouldnt be too bad... Not as easy and boring as the pike, but still nothing to worry about

Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
I agree with Shiver about avoiding rush hours if possible, until you get used to driving in the area. A key point about entering any freeway in the Boston area is that you can't expect people to back off and let you into a spot on the road. You kind of have to keep glancing back as you proceed down the on-ramp, and have a spot picked out, then time your speed so you're ready to slide into that open spot as you get to the end of the on-ramp. It's not as difficult as it might sound once you get used to it, but tricky enough that you might want to get used to doing this during times of lighter traffic before trying it during rush hours.

By the way, I remember some of your other threads when you were asking questions while considering moving here. Hope you're enjoying Boston so far. Welcome aboard!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 PM

853 posts, read 4,037,365 times
I agree to try to avoid the 128 stretch of 95 during rush hour (actually, I think it's a few hours in the AM, and 3-7PM), due to people being allowed to drive in the breakdown lane. I've only driven on 128 during rush hour a few times, and it was only because I forgot about the break down lane driving.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyducky87 View Post
I'll have to make my first lengthy drive in Boston! Is I-95 tricky to merge onto or drive on?? or any other particular interstates or roads that generally have merciless drivers? any other tips in general?
Where are you from? And how comfortable are you with driving in an urban environment? I'd rather drive into Boston from a highway than deal with the interstate beltways of Atlanta, Washington, DC and Indianapolis. And I think driving into Boston is much easier than driving into NYC, Miami, LA and Baltimore.

Otherwise, my suggestion is to look at your map ahead of time and memorize your route. One thing that really pisses off Boston drivers are slow, hesitant drivers. Be decisive with your car movements and keep up with the flow of traffic.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
When I need to drive to a place that I've never been to before, I draw myself a map of my route on an index card. And just doing that really helps me know the route. And with a place like Boston, be aware of certain helpful landmarks like the Citgo sign in Kenmore Square.

I don't think using a GPS unit helps a first time Boston driver. I've seen too many slow and confused drivers peering into those tiny GPS screens trying to make sense of the directions. Later on, a GPS could be helpful for finding that certain number building on a street, but honestly I will never own a GPS unit. Well maybe if I had a job delivering takeout food, but otherwise never for me.

Also... turn off your cell phone to help your concentration.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 10,885 times
Welcome to the show. Depending on where you are there are some hang ups, anywhere a major highway merges into or away from it. There's one point in Canton that you can be going North and South at the same time

Old 05-16-2010, 02:27 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
I-95 bypasses Boston and runs to the west of the city. I-93 goes through Boston.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:06 AM

504 posts, read 616,338 times
Avoid rush hour and during rush hour the road stops moving if you are north of the city going north and stops moving if you are going south and you are south of the city. 95, 128, and 3 all are signed at some points. Watch the signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston