Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,800 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to relocate to the Boston area in July, from DC (hopefully to teach in a turnaround school or a charter school and to attend graduate school). I've been looking online, and the Quincy area looks nice. The jobs I'm looking at are in Dorchester and in Jamaica Plain.

Is anyone familiar with these areas? If so, could you possibly give any feedback on the issues? Are there any other areas that seem reasonable? I'd love to live in the city, but finding a dog-friendly apartment seems like a struggle... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:31 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,964 times
You might have better luck finding a single family home rental that accepts a dog, or at least a rental through an individual vs a big complex. I have friends who live in the Wollaston area of Quincy & are very happy there. They're walking distance to the T & the beach plus great dog walking spots. I'm not sure how many rentals there are in that area but it might be worth a look.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Jamaica Plain and Dorchester have been discussed and dissected multitudinous times here. In a nutshell, both are "mixed-bag" city neighborhoods. Some sections are gentrifying, others are middle-class to upscale and always have been, while still others are "ghetto." There isn't any section of DC or its surrounding area that can really compare to these communities with their patchworks of enclaves.

Quincy is a more sure thing, with Wollaston being one of my favorite parts of that city. There are LOTS of spacious early-20th-Century duplex houses along its shaded quiet side streets, along with some large and well-kept older brick apartment buildings. One of the main downsides would be the commute, particularly by mass transit. The Red Line train which serves Quincy isn't the same one that runs through Dorchester; you'd have to go all the way north to the JFK/UMass stop and then change trains and backtrack. And, depending on where your job in "Dot" is, you might then have to transfer to a bus from the train. There's some bus service from Quincy Center to two of the Red Line stations on the Ashmont (Dorchester) branch, but the schedule's very sporadic. Getting to JP would entail going all the way downtown, then catching a trolley that only runs to the northern reaches of the neighborhood, and THEN transferring to a bus that does happen along frequently but is slooow going. There's also the Orange Line train from downtown which skirts the eastern fringes of JP.

The main issue I see is, Dorchester and JP aren't far apart but one is east of the other. ALL of the mass-transit corridors run north-south, and there are no good crosstown bus lines that far out from downtown. So if you were to dwell in one of the communities, that'd make for an easy walk/ride to work in one but a torturous commute to the other.

Jamaica Plain has an edge over Dorchester in terms of green space. The "Emerald Necklace" of parks begins at vast Franklin Park on the southeast side of the neighborhood, then comprises the spacious Arnold Arboretum and scenic Jamaica Pond near JP's western boundary. Dog walkers throng the pond area, in particular, on nice days. OTOH the "crown jewel" of Dorchester's open land - hillside Ronan Park with its sweeping views of the harbor - is plagued by crime, as is nearby Town Field. Smaller and safer, but still restful, places thereabouts would be Dorchester Park and Savin Hill Park. However, both of these locations are toward the outer boundaries. New and restored beaches, and a recently developed "greenway" along the Neponset River separating Boston from Quincy + Milton, would also make for good dog-walking spots.

If you'd like a Georgetown feel in Boston, Beacon Hill is the place to be. Only problem is, just as in DC the lamplit streets lined with stately brick rowhouses are priced accordingly.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 AM

Thank you for that information. I guess I just assumed that the red lines were the same one. Would a driving commute from Quincy be doable, or would it likely not be worth driving?

Perhaps I should look for something in South Boston??

Thanks so much!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:32 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Are you looking at Boston Collegiate in Dorchester? If so, that is a 5 to 10 minute walk from the Andrew Square T station and the Quincy Line of the Red would work pretty easily.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,950 times
I live in Quincy and there are some busses that run from Quincy to Dorchester, such as the 210 to Fields Corner. If your job was in that area, it might be easier to take a bus rather than taking the Braintree line inbound to JFK and then switching to an outbound Ashmont train. As goyguy mentioned, that could get tiresome.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:40 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Sheridian/Centre Street area in Jamaica Plain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston