Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 12:41 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,823,974 times

Advertisements

So, I searched and searched and didn't find any threads specifically about Nederland, so I thought I would find out. What is the cost of living like there? What kind of work can be found? What are the people like? I know these are all very general questions, but I am just hoping some folks on here have pretty strong knowledge of Nederland and can help me out. I am a bluegrass musician by hobby, and I have heard lots about the bluegrass coming out of Nederland. I will have a business management bachelor's, but I am not concerned with a career just yet. I'm busy enjoying myself right now. I don't mind working part time in restaurants, night shifts, etc.

So yeah, anything and everything you could tell me about Ned would be much appreciated. I was told about it by a friend who is teaching at UC Boulder, and he said I would love it. What's the scoop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,105,738 times
I live in the area, I can try to answer most of your questions. Just sent you a DM.

Last edited by Neditate; 06-16-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 08:34 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,105,738 times
Here is an older thread you may want to read:
//www.city-data.com/forum/bould...nederland.html
Here is a thread about music in the area:
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ce-please.html

Old 08-08-2010, 06:29 AM

91 posts, read 244,835 times
I used to live there for a long time until we got transferred to Southern Colorado due to my husband's job. Anyways Nederland is an amazing place. I think that being a bluegrass musician you would find it heaven on earth! You could find a pic session any time that you wanted. If you go out to see a band (which is going on most nights) You never know who might just show up to play. Vince Herman of Leftover Salmon, Bill Nershi of String Cheese, or maybe even Jeff Austin of Yonder Mountain String Band . All 3 of those bands have members that started out in Ned. If you have to drive to Boulder for work it's really no big deal . The bus runs from Ned-Boulder up until 11 pm (I think). You might want to check out Lyons too. That is where Rocky grass fest takes place. The climate is a liitle nicer in Lyons . You sound young and uninterested in starting your "real" career just yet. I say go for it ! I don't think that you will be disappointed. If you have any other questions you can DM me

Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 20,757 times
I lived in Nederland for a while and didn't have a very good experience
...That's not to say that you won't But here is what happened for me:

The hardest thing I had to deal with with living there was the people. I was twenty at the time and was real eager to make friends. There were plenty of youngsters there but most of them were extremely rude and snobby. The nicer folks were the older ones or who had lived there more than five years. I had friends in Boulder but as far as Nederland, it was very hard for me to meet anyone. I worked in the town at a place that had many regulars and was able to get to know a lot of different kinds of people. That being said, I found it really hard to make friends.You might not have the same trouble but that was just my experience.
We moved there because we wanted a more "rustic" life than the polished Boulder...and boy did we get it! Coming from Atlanta with little to no experience with snow was quite a challenge. Fortunately, we had a helpful landlord who guided us through the worst of the winter.
Winters are serious but you may have already dealt with that. The wind is crazy sometimes. Like knock the breath outta ya, steal your garbage can, slam the car door crazy. It's cold but since it's dry it is more tolerable than the humid southern winters I was used to. 20 degrees in Colorado would feel like 45 in Atlanta.
The wind and snow combined with a lack of a social life and a ****ty job made it a miserable experience.
As far as expenses, I thought it was overpriced. I lived in a one bedroom/one bath apartment for $800 a month with undrinkable water and a kitchen the size of hall closet.
If you don't have to worry about money than I say go for it. I think had I stayed there longer I might have finally met some people. The views and the mountains are breathtaking of coarse. It's a gorgeous place. I would drive or walk around Caribou and down the roads near my house and couldn't believe I lived somewhere so unique and beautiful.
So in summary
PROS- most if not all businesses are local so no fast food chains or suburban sprawl, lots of untouched breathtaking land, unique, open minded folks, small town feel without the dueling banjos
CONS-A tad expensive, some folks aren't welcoming, jobs in town scarce, harsh winters

I'm sure those who lived there longer or are still there could help more but I thought I'd give ya my two cents
Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area