Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 10,821 times

Advertisements

Okay, So I have read a lot of threads about moving to boulder and have gathered a lot of information. I have visited the area and really enjoy it.

I have 2 kids 3 & 4 year old and know I can't buy in Boulder. I am moving from Chicago burbs and I would have to downsize quite a bit to buy in Boulder. So, I am thinking about renting perhaps in the Superior/Louisville/etc area.

My wife was actually thinking Highlands ranch area (I know way south of Denver and way different than Boulder) would be a nice place due to schools and the kids. I have read a lot of posts on the HR area, and some of it seems good, but I want to be close to the mountains and things to do like Boulder (Eldorado Park, Estes, etc) I tend to think Boulder area would be the way to go. Living in Superior or something close is just as good to me. Are there houses for rent/sale in rural boulder? I thought I remember seeing a fire department called RBFD.

I am in IT right now and am trying to get into the renewable energy sector. I volunteer for the ISEA (ASEA chapter) and am wondering what the renewable jobs are like out there? I know Vestas has 2 factories (wind) and that there is a lot of wind out there. I have thought about Installing (solar) first or a Wind turbine technician then transitioning to sales, etc. Depending on if I focus on wind or solar. The RE market in Illinois is just now starting to make some progress, and its always questionable here. Anyone have any comments on this job industry in the Boulder area? I would even do IT for a RE company, but would prefer a career change.

So I guess in short, just looking for any RE job industry info people might have, highlands ranch mountain access/things to do compared to Boulder. Oh, and if you lived in Nederland, where can you realistically work without too long of a commute if anywhere

Thanks!!!
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
I just had to reply to your post because of your humorous title

I live near Nederland. I know many people who work in Boulder, some who've commuted to Denver. My DH used to commute to Longmont. Many more work from home.

Boulder is a "hot spot" for renewable energy. Sorry I don't have any details or job leads but I read about it constantly. Maybe you can find some info in the local paper online, the Daily Camera.

NREL (National Renewable Energy Lab) is in Golden: National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) Home Page

Good luck to you!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
For being close to the mountains and having great access to hiking trails, Jefferson County (Golden, Arvada, Lakewood, and unincorporated SW areas with a "Littleton" address) could be just as good or better than Boulder itself. There are some companies in downtown Denver which might be in the same ballpark of what you're looking for.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Solar Installer Training and Education is taught here in COLO.

The Jan-Feb 2010 issue of Solar Today has one or more articles on the topic. The site also has some employment links.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 PM

Thank for the information everyone!! I will check it all out.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 58,524 times
You may be interested to know that Simon Lessing, 5-time world triathlon champ from England/South Africa, recently moved here and has started a triathlon coaching biz. Ran into him in the dog park the other day - good guy, no ego. So at the very least, you know it's a good place for that.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
DD's boyfriend is interested in the renewable energy field, but he hasn't been able to land a job in it yet. He has an MS in EE. My own DH also tried to get into that field years ago with no luck. But, you never know.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:14 AM

92 posts, read 315,872 times
Default RE and Colorado

Wow, it almost looks like I wrote this post (but I didn't).

I'm also in Chicagoland, but I've been looking back to the West. From what I've read, Boulder seems to be fairly eco-minded. Bike trails, smart grid, and the NREL is a little south in Golden.

What activities does ISEA do? I'll need to check that out.

I've also been looking at ways to be able to apply my IT skills towards the RE industry.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 AM

We are just a not profit extension of ASES, so we just do promotion of the RE field while focusing on solar. We also offer introductory classes on wind and solar technologies. This summer we are starting a 1 week workshop installation program in Rockford for 'want-to-be-installers'. We also host the SolarTour for Illinois, among other things. I think the board wants to position themselves as an MREA type organization but focusing more on Illinois. (IMO) haha, okay enough pitch.

Illinois Solar Energy Association - Home

Yea, I am not an engineer, so that sector is out for me. I am 35 with a family, and don't think a ME or EE is in my future. That is why I would have to focus more on a blue collar gig for wind (or do some installs for solar) then move to a business side of the industry. Either that or apply my IT skills to a RE organization like Vestas. Which is fine by me, I've done that type of work and am not afraid even though I've been stuck in a cube (ugh) for 10 years.

Speaking with peers in the field that is the hard part about getting in; a lot of open jobs on monster/careerbuilder etc require advanced degrees. I have a B.S. in a non technical field.

The hardest part about this relocation will be finding a job in the right location I think. Especially going into a new field. If you want to be a wind turbine tech, you can get on without training. I know people who have in other states, but if you go to a training course that will almost guarantee you a job. You won't be rich, but its a way into the field, and thats kind of the sacrifice you will have to make.

There is an awesome program here if you are interested in wind:

Wind Turbine Technician Academy Training

Again, I have a family, so that doesn't work for me, and Illinois, in Chicago area has little to offer other than 2 year traditional AA programs from a community college in places out past Rockford. Joilet has a program I think, but would require some research

The best bet for us might still be the traditional IT job, then transition out after the move, but *sigh*

Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
I read this in today's paper:
Vestas, the Danish wind energy giant, announced Tuesday it is opening a research and development office in Louisville that will employ up to 240 people over the next several years.
Vestas ... already has manufacturing operations in Brighton, Windsor and Pueblo. It described its forthcoming research and development office in Louisville as a new division of the company.

Vestas announces R&D office for Louisville - Boulder Daily Camera
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area