Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times

Advertisements

Looking northwest at dusk showing how the smoke has spread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
. . .
DH is a volunteer firefighter and will be on scene at 6 am. . .
Thoughts and hopes are with you, and all those affected.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Thanks suzco! I read that 4 firefighters lost their homes yesterday while out bravely protecting others' homes. So very sad.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Well, it had to happen. Such is the nature of forests. Forests do burn on occasion. They really don't care if man is built a bunch of stuff (that happens to be flammable) in them.

Ed Quillen of the Denver Post proposed a solution to this problem years ago. His editorial ( How to reduce taxes and preserve private property rights ) bears reading. As unfortunate as the loss of property is to homeowners affected by this fire, who I really worry about are the firefighters laying their lives on the line to "protect" structures that probably should not have been built where they are in the first place. And, once again, the US Forest Service is spending monies it could be using to better manage the public lands under its stewardship to protect private structures on private property instead. Taxpayers should be plenty upset about that.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
jazzlover,

We all know where you stand on issues - we get your point. But I think it would have been more appropriate to start a new thread with your opinions, rather than add on to one where we are asking about/worrying about and wanting updates from a member who lives up there.

I also have two other families who live up there that I'm waiting to hear if they are okay.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
jazzlover,

We all know where you stand on issues - we get your point. But I think it would have been more appropriate to start a new thread with your opinions, rather than add on to one where we are asking about/worrying about and wanting updates from a member who lives up there.

I also have two other families who live up there that I'm waiting to hear if they are okay.
I saw nothing in the title of the thread indicating that it was intended for limited discussion--it's just titled "Wildfire in Boulder area, 06 September 2010." Maybe the Moderator should re-title the thread to remove any confusion, and move my post elsewhere under a new title.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM

331 posts, read 989,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, it had to happen. Such is the nature of forests. Forests do burn on occasion. They really don't care if man is built a bunch of stuff (that happens to be flammable) in them.

Ed Quillen of the Denver Post proposed a solution to this problem years ago. His editorial ( How to reduce taxes and preserve private property rights ) bears reading. As unfortunate as the loss of property is to homeowners affected by this fire, who I really worry about are the firefighters laying their lives on the line to "protect" structures that probably should not have been built where they are in the first place. And, once again, the US Forest Service is spending monies it could be using to better manage the public lands under its stewardship to protect private structures on private property instead. Taxpayers should be plenty upset about that.
When I lost my home in a hurricane back in '05 and had to live in my car, I had several people tell me "That's what you get for living on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico." Maybe I've found some friends for you with a same mindset?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:31 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
There's a fast developing wildfire west of Boulder, up fourmile canyon. Wildfire in Boulder's Fourmile Canyon

It's very dry, and very windy today; it's a serious fire. Many homes are in the path of the fire, several homes reported destroyed already.

I work in Boulder at IBM..I love the drive going to work..It was so sad not being able to see our beautiful mountains today..My sympathy goes all to those in Boulder..your thought and prayers are with us at IBM..

Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
We finally heard from one of the families we have been worried about. She says the fact that they got out was amazing. So far, their house was still there, other neighbors not though.

Her husband travels around and fights these kinds of fires all over the country. So I am assuming he's out there now.

It's been reported that 4 firefighters who live up there have lost their homes.

So relieved we finally heard something. Now just waiting to hear about one more family.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I don't agree with jazzlovers had to happen attitude, but let the man say what he has to say. Attempting to limit his right to free speech is more offensive to me than anything jazz has ever written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area