Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:15 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2 View Post
This link came through on the Prospect community email list, so I'm not sure if it's been posted here or not, but it links to a forum where people are offering places to stay, sharing information, etc.

Four Mile Fire Help Forum

Here's another satellite view from Digital Globe:
Boulder Fourmile canyon fire, Boulder, Colorado, USA | Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalglobe-imagery/4968507463/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)
Also look at the Daily Camera's website if you are in need of help or want to help.

Boulder DailyCamera.com: Colorado, News, Business, Sports, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information - Boulder Daily Camera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
I'm so glad to hear that our friends on here are safe! Homes may have been destroyed, but what really matters is that people are safe and sound. I've been following this story on the local news here in Bend, Oregon and they have reported that 8 people are still unaccounted for. I hope everything turns out for the best. I know my mom's friend lost their home in the fire. However, they are thankful to have escaped with their lives. They understood the risk of living in the area.

Neditate, as a former wildland firefighter myself, I know the hard work your husband does. He will be in my thoughts during this fire! I sure hope the rain lasts and they can get the fire contained soon.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,100,955 times
Thank you Delta!
I just read an article that says they hope to contain the fire in 10 days. It is now considered the worst fire in Colorado history. The number of people unaccounted for is down to 4: Fourmile Fire is now state's worst in history, with 136 homes destroyed - Boulder Daily Camera

Old 09-08-2010, 10:31 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Thank you Delta!
I just read an article that says they hope to contain the fire in 10 days. It is now considered the worst fire in Colorado history. The number of people unaccounted for is down to 4: Fourmile Fire is now state's worst in history, with 136 homes destroyed - Boulder Daily Camera
Wow! The Hayman Fire was actually near and dear to my heart, as I worked on that National Forest the fire burned, and I actually worked closely with the person responsible for the fire. It was tragic on all accounts. I can only imagine what Boulder is going through right now. Fires of this magnitude are always devastating, but with the 4 missing people, it really drives this home. I hope they can be accounted for. Thanks for the article link.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:14 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Wink PR, or less than

"But Pelle said Wednesday that the public would no longer be allowed to attend the news updates because the site for the conferences has been moved to a firefighter staging area at the Boulder Reservoir.

Pelle said the move is designed to get information to reporters more quickly, and that having the public in the area isn't manageable."

"Others are bypassing fire officials in their effort to get information."[1]
- from the 'Daily Camera'

I don't understand what the big secret is. As related in this article, it is understandable if they are unwilling to allow residents back into areas still possibly hazardous. But the dissemination of information is another matter. In the midst of a large fire no one likely knows everything, with inaccurate understandings in the moment possible. But with all the personnel involved, perhaps even one might be assigned to PR and providing the best known information. Surely not in intentionally relocating the update conferences to a location beyond public access and view.

One does wonder. There will surely be many questions to follow, not all of them possibly complimentary to authorities. But being less than open and honest is no way to win pubic sympathy . . . or understanding.

1) 'Community meeting on Fourmile Fire draws calls for more information,' Daily Camera
Community meeting on Fourmile Fire draws calls for more information - Boulder Daily Camera

Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
Gusty winds expected here in Grand Junction later today. Let us pray that the gusty winds don't make it over to Boulder.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 AM

If one needs a place to stay? Boulder County has set up a victim assistance center for those affected by the fire. The center is at Boulder County's Sundquist Building, 3842 N. Broadway in Boulder. A call center is also operational there and can be contacted at 303-441-3560.

The victim assistance center is not a shelter, but there is an emergency shelter at the Boulder YMCA, 2850 Mapleton Ave., which is being managed by the Red Cross.

The county's assistance center is offering the following services to victims of the fire: mental health care, food, long-term housing options for those who lost their homes, insurance claim advice, medical case management and senior services for people who are 60 or older.

The center is also coordinating with local nonprofit organizations to provide clothing and other basic needs. The center is being staffed by Boulder County, the Red Cross and the Mental Health Center of Boulder County.

Boulder County is asking that all residents who have been evacuated due to the Fourmile Canyon wildfire please contact the county. Go to www.bouldercounty.org/newsroom/templates/bocodefault.aspx?articleid=2300&zoneid=1 for details.

An incident call center has been established to assist city and county residents affected by the wildfire and evacuations. Residents are asked to contact the call center at 303-413-7730.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-09-2010 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Relocated from a closed thread.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,422,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Thanks for posting jkcoop .
The Humane Society of Boulder Valley is also providing care for about 40 cats, dogs and small mammals displaced by the fire.
If anyone is interested they can give $10 by texting PETS to 50555* or visit their website @ Humane Society of Boulder Valley (http://boulderhumane.org/hsbv - broken link)
Donations will benefit all animals in their care; as of yesterday afternoon they had more than 300 animals in their facility or in foster homes.
They are also seeking the following donations:
  • Blankets
  • Towels
  • Cat Litter
  • Canned dog and cat food
  • 6-foot dog leashes
Thanks to all of the wonderful, caring and compassionate people out there!
I don't know about the BHUS but the Longmont one has received so many wonderful donations that they now need additional help from people to sort and store the items. If you want to help out, stop by the LHUS building on Nelson Road in Longmont starting 9am today - they only need you for 2-hour shifts.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Gusty winds expected here in Grand Junction later today. Let us pray that the gusty winds don't make it over to Boulder.
Thanks, CosmicWizard. Unfortunately we cannot escape the wind. It is expected to be in the 25-55 mph range later today and into tomorrow, letting up Friday afternoon. Not good news.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:08 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,202,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
"But Pelle said Wednesday that the public would no longer be allowed to attend the news updates because the site for the conferences has been moved to a firefighter staging area at the Boulder Reservoir.

Pelle said the move is designed to get information to reporters more quickly, and that having the public in the area isn't manageable."

"Others are bypassing fire officials in their effort to get information."[1]
- from the 'Daily Camera'

I don't understand what the big secret is. As related in this article, it is understandable if they are unwilling to allow residents back into areas still possibly hazardous. But the dissemination of information is another matter. In the midst of a large fire no one likely knows everything, with inaccurate understandings in the moment possible. But with all the personnel involved, perhaps even one might be assigned to PR and providing the best known information. Surely not in intentionally relocating the update conferences to a location beyond public access and view.

One does wonder. There will surely be many questions to follow, not all of them possibly complimentary to authorities. But being less than open and honest is no way to win pubic sympathy . . . or understanding.

1) 'Community meeting on Fourmile Fire draws calls for more information,' Daily Camera
Community meeting on Fourmile Fire draws calls for more information - Boulder Daily Camera
While it is understandable that residents need to know what's going on they also need to understand that the firefighters are trying to do their job.

It makes sense that the media should have a place,away from the public, where they can get updates and report them quickly. That's hard to do when surrounded by a large crowd of emotional people.

I don't mean to be cold about this but those who are out there,risking life and limb,to put out this fire should not have to deal with anything more than the job at hand. The firefighters know what needs to be done and they're damn good at it. Trust in them.

As for public updates, I agree that they seem less than adequate right now and more should be done to inform residents but consider the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area