Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,103,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
As the previous poster mentioned, the fire is west of Boulder. CU should not be affected except for the smoke. You can get information on the Boulder Office of Emergency Management site: Emergency Status
Here is a map of the fire location: http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/files/Communication/fourmile/
Four_Mile_Fire_Web_Perimeter_1230.pdf
Thank you very much for the link to the "Fire Map". It brought back many memories.............My late wife, my daughter and I lived in Sunshine Canyon from 1965 to 1980......about 4 miles up the canyon road at about 6950' elevation. As I remember there were about a dozen homes in the canyon below our location and from Poorman Rd on up the canyon to Gold Hill, there were maybe about another dozen homes. Many times I'd saddle up my horse early on a Sat morning and ride 'up canyon' (some on the road and some cross-country) to the Gold Hill Inn and have a beer with Frank Finn. Then continue on (cross-country) to the Peak to Peak Hwy and my wife would meet me there (usually about dark) with the PU and horse trailer and we'd head on home via the highway system. In '65 and '66, sometimes I'd see no more than 10 people and vehicles... (maybe less)... during the entire ride. (Yea....the good 'ole Days)...... Obviously the road was gravel (from 4th street all the way up.) And Poorman Rd (between Sunshine C Rd and Four Mile Canyon Rd was nothing but a "trail"...you could drive it but you sure had to have a 4x4.
Roads like Licks Skillet and the Switzerland Trail were something "you had to experience"........there was "no such thing" as "Road Maintenence"....never did any of these roads get "graded". "Being chained-up on ALL FOUR" was mandatory!!!

To think of a lot of the area I used to ride horse back through, is being consumed by this fire is very sad.........and my heart and prayers go out to all the folks that are being effected by this fire.....and those that have lost their homes.........you are in my prayers, may God give you the strength to get through this.......Good Luck to you all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,105,738 times
You're welcome, Montana Griz!
What wonderful memories to have and what a great time to have lived here. I love the Sunshine Canyon area, I am very familiar with the places you speak of. We ride mountain bikes on the Switzerland Trail.
I think you would have been very surprised (perhaps saddened) to see how much it has been built up. (You can get a good view of it on Google maps if you are so inclined.) Unfortunately, many of the homes that were lost were located there, just up from Fourmile. It is terribly sad.
BUT... there is a bit of good news. We had a rainshower move through here in the past hour. No lightning, just a gentle rain. It has cooled down, humidity levels are up, and that is a HUGE help to the firefighters!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,281,064 times
It's great to see all the support from around the country. Thank you, everyone!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,400,319 times
I used to live in Nederland back in the 1970's. I've been watching news of the fire on TV from the Ouachita Mtns. in Arkansas. My prayers are headed your way.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:20 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,207,022 times
Please take the time to show appreciation to all who are fighting this fire.

I'm sure that most of you understand the need for a few donations. Not cash.

Bottled water
Gatorade
Protein bars
Cereal bars
Gum/hard candies

Good idea to ask first.just go to a local station and find out what if anything they need and where you need to take it.
Don't forget the local shelters or the Humane Society either.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:02 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,105,738 times
That is a wonderful thought.
Our local Fire Dept. is referring people to the Red Cross.
FYI, the Boulder Office of Emergency Management has asked that people who want to make donations or volunteer dial 211 or call 866-760-6489. They specifically asked that people not drop off donations at local fire stations.

Here is a list of ways that people can help:
http://www.dailycamera.com/fourmile-...614?source=pkg

Old 09-09-2010, 01:41 PM

948 posts, read 1,382,756 times
I'm listing on the scanner and there's some twit that the SO has been "convincing" to leave her home. The Dep. said that Dep1 to dispatch) We need to go and check on this lady and make sure that shes OK and packing to leave. Dep 2 to 1, We just left her and she is, we will have to go back and check on her and make sure she leaves.
Also Listening on the scanner there sounds like there doing another Evac. It may be an area that was reopened for people to look over and get other items some people are refusing to leave and others are bypassing the road blocks.
People if you are in an area that's evac'd follow the rules set by the officials. Your stuff isn't worth the life of another because someone was trying to keep you safe.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,207,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
That is a wonderful thought.
Our local Fire Dept. is referring people to the Red Cross.
FYI, the Boulder Office of Emergency Management has asked that people who want to make donations or volunteer dial 211 or call 866-760-6489. They specifically asked that people not drop off donations at local fire stations.

Here is a list of ways that people can help:
Fourmile Fire: How to get help / How to help - Boulder Daily Camera
That's my girl!

I knew you would have the better info!

Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 PM

948 posts, read 1,382,756 times
Fourmile Canyon Fire evacuations that were lifted at 10 a.m. for the Boulder Heights, Pine Brook Hills and Carriage Hills subdivisions, as well as for homes on Olde Stage Road and Lee Hill Drive have been re-instated. The second wave of evacuations for this afternoon has been cancelled.
From KUSA and Radio Reference

Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,019,838 times
Thank you all for updates and to Pamela for originally posting the thread on firefighters over on Other Topics or I would have never known. So thanks Pamela

My son does have asthma, but his dad wouldn't let him get close if he thought it would be a problem. I'll pay more attention to the Boulder forum now so I can keep updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area