Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,317 times

Advertisements

Me (30yr)and my wife (27) and our 2 yr old boy are moving from NYC to Boulder. I´ll be working at Univ. Colorado Hospital in Denver and she´ll be attending Naropa uni. We´re wondering where to live. We´ll be renting but no more than 1650$ month and e-z access to almost everything. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 AM

26,144 posts, read 48,824,756 times
Boulder can be pricey, suggest look at locations midway between Boulder and Denver and take advantage of the excellent public transit between the two points. Look along the Rte 36 corridor, generally Superior to Westminster.

Tons of fine place to live, worst issue is commuting decisions, i.e., live near UC Hospital and have her commute or live near Boulder and you be one who commutes.

We have a lot of threads on all those areas, find them with the search tool.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:01 PM

399 posts, read 815,275 times
Easy access to almost everything and rent under $1650 sounds like TwoNineNorth territory. They're newly built so I can't attest to their architectural quality being that they're newly built in Boulder. They're built on the same street as a mall so I don't know what compromises you're expecting when it comes to "easy access to everything." There are compromises to being so close to the things you'll visit often.

Two Nine North

Although maybe you're used to that form living in New York City. TwoNineNorth is between the two Naropa universities anyways on Arapahoe Road. Unless you like living in the same building as most of the students at CU Boulder, I suggest you keep a moderate distance from the school and stay in a high price range for rent.

There are a few other good apartment/condo complexes in Boulder but I don't drive by them enough to have a good idea about them.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horry View Post
Me (30yr)and my wife (27) and our 2 yr old boy are moving from NYC to Boulder. I´ll be working at Univ. Colorado Hospital in Denver and she´ll be attending Naropa uni. We´re wondering where to live. We´ll be renting but no more than 1650$ month and e-z access to almost everything. Any thoughts?
It is at least 35 miles from the CU hospital in Aurora to Naropa in Boulder. If you split the difference, that will put you in the Broomfield/Westminster area. There are a lot of rentals in that area, and they are reasonably priced. If you live near US 36/I-25, you'll have your access.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:02 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,196,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is at least 35 miles from the CU hospital in Aurora to Naropa in Boulder. If you split the difference, that will put you in the Broomfield/Westminster area. There are a lot of rentals in that area, and they are reasonably priced. If you live near US 36/I-25, you'll have your access.

Yes, Broomfield or Westminster but be SURE to live close to 36... both towns have crazy borders and you can live in either and not be all that close to 36. I drove that drive to Aurora from northern Broomfield for years and it's not pleasant as there's no alternative route when the weather is bad or there's major traffic... do yourself a favor and at least choose a place with easy 36 access saving you some time. (Don't even consider taking that northern part of 25 during rush hour (Thornton.)

Both drives will take you longer than you think during rush hour but that's the best area to live if you split the difference.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 PM

399 posts, read 815,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Yes, Broomfield or Westminster but be SURE to live close to 36... both towns have crazy borders and you can live in either and not be all that close to 36. I drove that drive to Aurora from northern Broomfield for years and it's not pleasant as there's no alternative route when the weather is bad or there's major traffic... do yourself a favor and at least choose a place with easy 36 access saving you some time. (Don't even consider taking that northern part of 25 during rush hour (Thornton.)

Both drives will take you longer than you think during rush hour but that's the best area to live if you split the difference.

US-36 isn't fun during the morning and afternoon rush hours at all. It clogs up the intersection of US-287 and US-36 too.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:20 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,196,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe Itsavized View Post
US-36 isn't fun during the morning and afternoon rush hours at all. It clogs up the intersection of US-287 and US-36 too.
It does but it was still pretty easy driving from Superior to Denver (through the 287 bottleneck) and it's considerably better than the Thornton section of 25 headed to either 270 or central 25 at rush hour.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe Itsavized View Post
What would you suggest then? The OP will be working at UC Hospital in Aurora, off I-225.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,796,577 times
If you are considering more than a small one bedroom, Two Nine Residences will run you about 1800 for 750-800 sqft. I see there website advertises lower rates but those cheaper units have pretty much been snatched up. Was in the leasing office last week. I am with Katiana when she suggests heading East a bit for better commute and lower prices..just my two pennies.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,365,343 times
It is a difficult choose. It is much easier to get to Boulder and Naropa University by public transit which has many and frequent options than it is to get to Anshutz Medical Center.

I am going to give you advice, as an ex New Yorker, concentrating on public transit.

The absolutely best place to live to provide good access would be in Denver, especially Downtown. Your wife could get quickly to Boulder and you can get to Anshutz easily with Public transit. However, downtown may not what you desire. I would then choose to to live a little east of downtown where you can have still good public transit to both places.

I would choose a good safe walkable neighborhood with necessary service nearby. The neighborhood I would pick would be Congress Park and specifically a smaller sub neighborhood of mayfair
Mayfair Neighbors Inc. - Denver

This is a link to the Official neighborhood map
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

I would pick this neighborhood because it is well regarded neighborhood in Denver of people who enjoy city living. It would give you that quick public transit to Anshutz, by going east on Colfax, but not as far as coming from Downtown. It would give your wife a quick way to Downtown where she could connect to the Regional Buses to Boulder which are fast, convenient and often.

Another reason, I would suggest this area is that you can be close to the larger Buddhist communities in Denver of many sects. Yes, Boulder has many Buddhist communities but it would give you a longer commute to Anshutz by public transit. However, there is a direct bus to Anshutz from Boulder, the DM, but it has very limited service for daytime workers M-F. You can get to Downtown, easily enough from Boulder but taking a bus to Anshutz is a longer on Route 20, a little better on 15 and a 15 limited from Downtown.

Yes you can drive and the suggestion of Westminster in the middle of the two locations could work and would give you good public transit to Boulder but a longer public transit to Anshutz. It certainly would not give you the Buddhist ambiance of Boulder or Denver. Driving to Boulder on I-36 is difficult, as it is inadequate to handle all the traffic needs.

I know this transit to Anshutz as I use public transit often. I do know the way from Westmister, as I live just south off Sheridan in Arvada. In the future, all this will change as we are now constructing a new commuter rail line to the airport, which will have a station just north of Anshutz.

You would ask, why not just live near the medical campus and commute to Boulder. Well, the campus was located in a very, let us say a difficult and deteriorating, area. It is changing but it is not there yet. It is much better today than yesterdays. I have gone there often because I got treatment at the old Army hospital, Fitzsimons and the area around was challenging but to me, as a New Yawker--It was a pretend ghetto.

But if you want live in Boulder, then it is great choice for your family. You just have to suffer the commute to the hospital.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-20-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area