Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:07 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times

Advertisements

Have to say, I'm kind of surprised you haven't suggested a cyclocross bike? I rarely recommend them for anything but racing, but sounds like in his case it would be about the perfect ride. They're great for light trail riding, yet still pretty light and decent on pavement.

OP, a cyclocross bike is a hybrid bike that is basically an off-road road bike. Will have skinnier tires than a mountain bike, but will still have some nobs on the tires for traction in dirt.

One thing that is a much in CO if you're riding an inch off the road (and even sometimes on the road) Is some type of either inner tube sealant (Stan's or Slime) or a tire liners (this is a relatively flexible piece of plastic that sits between the tire and inner tube. The goathead thorns are TERRIBLE on the front range and will frustrate you to no end, as they're very hard to see, and are basically an instant flat tire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
Yeah a cyclocross bike is a worthy suggestion as long as the OP feels comfortable in that riding position. Could be a little intimidating off road depending on how buff the trail was.

Tire sealant is great stuff if you have trouble with the goat heads.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 AM

724 posts, read 1,933,875 times
Just curious - so you can put the sealant into the tire on the trail? Or does it require taking the tire off? I read the site for Stan's, and I've never removed a valve core, so wasn't sure. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:36 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
I use DT swiss's tubeless rims with 4 ply tubless tires and sealant. You put the sealant in when you put the tires on and top it up from time to time.

If you put a large enough hole in your tire the sealant will not be able to seal. So you should still carry a tube & pump just in case.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
Just curious - so you can put the sealant into the tire on the trail? Or does it require taking the tire off? I read the site for Stan's, and I've never removed a valve core, so wasn't sure. Thanks.
Yes, you can put it in some inner tubes. Some have removable valve cores and some do not (and we're only talking about presta valves here BTW). On more prestas there is actually two flat surfaces on the threaded piece just below where the piece is that you screw on and off to let air in/out. Using some plyers you can use these two flat pieces to unscrew the valve core. Then add your sealant, then screw it back in. So you won't have to take the tire off, but it's definitely something you'll need to do at home before you ride. And it's in the tire/tube all the time, you wouldn't just put it in when you have a flat.
Tubeless is the way to go though, if you can switch to that. I actually put sealant in my cyclcross tires and it works great there (even seals little holes in tubular tires)

Problem with sealant in CO is that the dry climate tends to dry the sealant out pretty fast, so you'll probably have to add more in every 6 months or so.

But man, it's great for thorns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area