Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
People who knew Boulder pre late 1980's remember a completely different place. Boulder had the hippies, the real deal whack jobs; people dealing drugs openly on the Pearl Street Mall, tripping on God Knows what. Boulder had such an eclectic balance of wierd charactors that I can honestly say I can't think of a town like it once was. You also had
believe it or not very militant right wing extremest groups ( Soldiers of fortune types) who loathed the environment around them. Boulder today while still ultra liberal is a shell of it's former hippie hey days...Aspen while much more tame in the 60'-80's was once a hippie haven..ask the old timers who have been in Pitkin County a while.

Boulder today? I'm with Willy; it seems more like Palo Alto or Santa Barbara with a Rocky Mountain backdrop.
But the old-timers you met in the early 80s would say - "it's nothing like it was in the 60s and early 70s". No place stays the same but whether it's better or worse then the old days (or just different) depends on your perspective. And most people apply a nostalgia filter to the places in which they spent their youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:12 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
Liberal mid size college town of about 100,000 people with a good selection of shopping and restaurants and lots of outdoor/mountain recreation and overpriced housing options.
This describes Bozeman MT reasonably well, though my general sense is folks in Bozeman are somewhat more laid-back about where they live. Boulder, like all towns/cities, is unique unto itself. There are fair approximations, but the differences often overwhelm the similarities. For example, Santa Fe was mentioned, but Boulder has little of the history, Native American and hispanic culture, Southwestern architecture, etc. Boulder is not an international arts and music destination. Boulder is not a state capitol. The only similarities between Boulder and Santa Fe I can see are relative size, proximity to mountains, and possibly the relative proportion of people who earn their money and those who don't. The two are more different than they are similar, from what I've seen of both.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
But the old-timers you met in the early 80s would say - "it's nothing like it was in the 60s and early 70s". No place stays the same but whether it's better or worse then the old days (or just different) depends on your perspective. And most people apply a nostalgia filter to the places in which they spent their youth.
So true.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM

18 posts, read 195,331 times
Spokane, W.A. comes to mind. It also has amazing outdoor recreation opportunities. Rivers, lakes, snow skiing and biking everywhere. There are also 4 universities (Gonzaga, Whitworth, Eastern Washington U. and Washington State U.) The downtown has had a recent revitalization with Apple and the North Face stores opening. Once this place gets some publicity in the likes of "Outside Magazine", it will become the next boomtown of the west. Seattle and Portland are already overbuilt and overpriced.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Well, not really but it is interesting that you said that Blue Sky. The head of the Spokane Chamber is the former head of the Boulder Chamber. The revitalization is in part modeled after Boulder.
A good friend of mine moved to the Spokane area several years ago after having lived in the Boulder/Longmont area most of her life. She likes living there but still really misses Boulder and Colorado. Other than recreational opportunities she doesn't feel that there is much similarity between them at all.
I read another of your posts regarding Spokane and you said "If you liked Eugene, you won't like Spokane. It is much different, especially when it comes to diversity and politics. Spokane is a very weird place. A very conservative place." That would be the polar opposite of Boulder.

Last edited by Neditate; 06-22-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 AM

46 posts, read 86,886 times
Default Takoma Park, MD another former hippy town

Boulder and Takoma Park have a VERY similar vibe. While Takoma Park doesn't have the same scenic feel, it does have the Victorians. It has a young vibrant highly educated population. The older hippies can still be found and a new crop is in the making. When you live there, it almost feels like you are in an island in the sea of Washington, DC. A very interesting place.
Bisou

Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 PM

95 posts, read 290,659 times
Boulders unique, i've never been anywhere like it.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:20 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Boulder is unique in my experience. Its a great small city with lots of do within it, while sitting next to one of the great National Parks and the city of the Rockies Denver. It has mountain views and play areas right out its door but is close to a major airport in Denver. The university, organic focused food, pearl street mall all make it a unique gem.... despite my visit during the heat wave this summer! I should also mention Chautauqua and the beautiful old Victorian and Craftsman homes in neighborhoods near Chautauqua, both illustrate Boulder was a city to be reckoned with long ago as well as today. Great place to visit!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:07 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisou View Post
Boulder and Takoma Park have a VERY similar vibe. While Takoma Park doesn't have the same scenic feel, it does have the Victorians. It has a young vibrant highly educated population. The older hippies can still be found and a new crop is in the making. When you live there, it almost feels like you are in an island in the sea of Washington, DC. A very interesting place
Bisou
Boulder is a unique place in the world of liberal/progressive towns. It really doesn't have the type of laid-back feel of Austin or the uber-intellectual feel of Charlottesville or Takoma Park (Md.), or the Midwestern pragmatic liberalism of Madison or Ann Arbor. I'm gonna get smacked for this, but Boulder left me with a feeling of New Age-ish Anal-retentive smugness.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:30 AM

18 posts, read 89,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia Ann View Post
What are the highlights of the city?

Is Boulder Resevoir a good recreation spot for families. We love mountains and outdoor recreation.

Boulder resevior is OK, I wouldnt say its a very big highlight though because you have to drive kinda far to get up there. If you like outdoor recreation your spot will be Chautauqua Park which is home to the Flatiron mountains. It has unbelievable hiking and its very easy to acess. Provides the best views of boulder and the campus from the top. When I lived there I would hike this mountain about 2 to 3 times a week and I was in the best shape of my life.

Other Highlights:

-Biking Trials - some of the best in the country
-Campus - rated the most beautiful campus in the US.
-Pearl Street - basically downtown Boulder; shopping, yoga studios, bars, street performers, etc
-29th street mall - cool little shopping center with Boulder's main movie theater.
-Boulder Farmers Market - held every saturday I believe near pearl street in the park area.
-Boulder Creek - fun tubing if you can stand the hippies. Also a fun place to take your dogs.
-Red Rocks Park - another fun place to hike, cool views of boulder and awesome looking red rocks to climb on.
-Easy Access to some of the best skiing in the world -1 hour 30 mins to Keystone, 1 hour 45 mins to brekenridge, 2 hours 30 mins to vail and beaver creek. (this is of course assuming that you know how to drive on mountain roads, if you don't tack on additional 30 mins).
-Football Games/College Spots - CU is division one everything, tickets are reasonable and the games are a blast.
-Short Drive to Nederland - cool little mountain town with a nice vibe
-35 from Denver (hour with traffic).
-Good food and amazing beer - Check out "Southern Sun" microbrewery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area