Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,708 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My daughter graduated from high school in May and is dying to move to Boulder. She isn't attending college at this time as she wants to obtain residency and doesn't have a job. I understand the housing/apartment rental situation there is expensive and want her to be prepared both emotionally and financially.

Can anyone provide any objective advice as to where to begin looking for apartment management firms, so she can attempt to calculate living costs BEFORE moving there?

Any accurate info is appreciated.
Thanks. Yvonne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:09 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,882 times
Try Housing Helpers for assistance finding a place. Or do it yourself using Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments. I found housing helpers to be pretty worthless if you aren't a college student. They kept trying to throw me in with all the students ugh...expect to pay $1000+ for a 1 room apartment, but maybe she can find a studio slightly cheaper, Or a roommate situation.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,708 times
Thumbs up Assistance

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm also wondering if you know what the job climate is like for high school grads as well as pay in Boulder. Can you suggest some websites that offer an overall depiction of cost of living, jobs, bus transportation, establishing residency?

Thanks again for your assistance

Old 07-11-2012, 03:15 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvon0622 View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm also wondering if you know what the job climate is like for high school grads as well as pay in Boulder. Can you suggest some websites that offer an overall depiction of cost of living, jobs, bus transportation, establishing residency?

Thanks again for your assistance
Where is she moving from? Coming from California I found that the pay rate for entry-level or jobs a high school Grad could secure without experience is fairly low. It could also take awhile to secure a job if one is a bit picky and not willing to settle for retail or food service while looking elsewhere. I transferred here with my company so it wasnt an issue for me, but my partner took 6 months to secure a job in his field. The job market does seem to be improving lately though...What sorts of jobs will she be looking for? If she works at a retail shop she's probably only going to make something like $9-$10 an hour I think. I could be wrong though.

Right here on city-data.com outside of the forum you can look up profiles for cities and/or specific zip codes. The cost of living in Boulder is moderately high compared to most places in the midwest/south but lower than most coastal cities. I guess it depends on your perspective, like I said I moved here from California so Boulder doesn't seem all that costly to me.

Bus transportation is very good/frequent and fairly cheap, I believe $89 per month for an unlimited bus pass.
More info at RTD

The only really noticeably expensive thing about Boulder is the housing in my opinion. The cost of housing drops dramatically once just a few miles outside Boulder, but i would suck it up and stay in Boulder, especially without a vehicle and relying on public transit.

From Colorado Department of Higher Education By law, an "in-state" student, or student's parents, must be domiciled in Colorado for 12 or more continuous months immediately preceding the first day of classes.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: