Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:37 PM

25 posts, read 59,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm guessing because there is no state income tax. Money to take care of things has to come from somewhere. There it lands more on the shoulders of the property owners. Which is too bad.

Keep in mind that what you get for $600k in Texas is not remotely the same as a $600k home here.

Obviously if you are retiring then the state income tax becomes a non issue here. But don't expect to get the kind of home here for that price range that you would there.
Price of home isn't a big issue because money we will make selling home in Houston. The nice part about moving to Colorado is exempt state income for "retirement income" for both of us and very low property tax compared to Austin area. Plus Colorado is a progressive state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,448 times
I was reading this thread out of pure curiousity, and it got me thinking. If Boulder is so expensive, how on earth do college students afford to live there?? I go to school in one of the cheapest cities in the US, and it still seems expensive sometimes.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:11 PM

304 posts, read 265,478 times
I was going to go to graduate school at U. Colorado but the cost of living there changed my mind.

U. of C. also hits you up with a big "activity" fee in addition to your tuition and most of it goes to various special interest groups like "green energy" stuff.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 PM

599 posts, read 950,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguy89 View Post
I was reading this thread out of pure curiousity, and it got me thinking. If Boulder is so expensive, how on earth do college students afford to live there?? I go to school in one of the cheapest cities in the US, and it still seems expensive sometimes.
1) CU is a magnet for rich, out of state students who come here to party on mom and dad's dime.
2) Many students who are not rich live in crowded houses and apartments. I know one kid who rents a walk-in closet! Boulder is also full of under-the-radar, non-compliant basement/attic apartments where the owner cuts the kid a deal in return for it staying under the radar.
3) Many students in the past ten years have started commuting from one of the 'L' towns, or Superior, Westminster, even Denver.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,930,008 times
Our son lives at home here in sw Longmont and commutes. We can't afford tuition and living expenses.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,925,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguy89 View Post
Rich parents or student loans.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:14 PM

278 posts, read 307,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coward Robert Ford View Post
i applied to a graduate engineering program at U. of Colorado a few years back and everything i read about Boulder made it sound like the most scenic place, the coolest town in America. Is that all hype? I have been to other towns that are hyped up all the time like Charlottsville Virginia and they are usually nice towns but not necessairly much better than any other place.

the reason that i ask is I saw some guy who went to colorado for school say he didn't think boulder was al lthat great compared to austin and some town in oregon. i think he was partly talking about the campus and partly talking about the town but i didn't get a change to ask him.
You will never lack for a job if you take engineering at CU. They are a top notch program.

As for Boulder - its pricey to live there after school, unless youre cool with living amongst the greeks on the hill (yelling wahoooo ! at 4 am), Having no heat or 6 roommates. But its definitely a fun little town (technically a city but doesnt feel like it). But as an engineer I imagine you'll make enough to stay, or at least live in neighboring towns like Longmont (a nice area to raise kids).

Boulder is more of a college town than Austin and will be way weirder than any place in VA.

Do you like reggae, jazz, drum circles, drugs, new age religion, incense, yoga, micro brews, skiing/boarder, running, hiking, biking, tubing, organic food and extreme political view holders? This is the place for you!

Also, recent laws mean Colorado cops are getting more training re loose dogs and (hopefully) therefore are less likely to take lethal action against your pooch!

To be fair, some of the most beautiful women Ive ever met went to CU (undergrad). Being a female undergrad, there was a lot of tough competition lets just say! I think a lot of them were from Texas and Cali. So if youre a single guy, that could sway you. Indie rock scene was non existent (2000-2007) when I was there - youll have to go to Denver for that. Free bus pass for students includes super easy and convenient trips around town and to the airport as well as to Denvers 16th Street (main street area/tourist area) Sweet. If you want to visit Colfax ave for music, its very unsafe so you wont want to use public transit for that, though.

All your clothes will either be high end retail, handmade hemp, or college logo gear unless you leave town to shop (theres a mall near...Broomfield?). Or order from catalogues...if you just cant get enough Pata-gucci and outdoors gear there is an Rei on 28th Street though.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by HeyHowdy; 12-05-2013 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
It has lots of trails where dogs are allowed off-leash,
hikernut
Not since 2005 or so, I dont think there are many left! Its one of the many reasons I left. Unless you count Mt Sanitas, but thats only one. Chataqua has changed its off leash laws at least once. There is a very nice off leash dog park with a pond out on 55th though.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
Is Denver housing actually cheaper? If so, that would be something like Chapel Hill vs Raleigh, for cost of housing.

Highrise apartments are high priced. In 2006, you would pay over $1000 to share a 2 bdrm condo. I lived in a crappy neighborhood where kids shot out my car window w a beebee gun, that was outside he beltway so it didnt even feel like being in the city, couldnt walk anywhere, for $600 a month I shared a small ranch house with no yard with a woman who brought home stray dogs and a chick who got up at five am evetyday, waking me up in the process. It was none too cosmepolitan! Im curious to find out why anyone would think Denvers cheaper except if youre buying a duplex or a fixer upper or something?! I mean just look at Washington Park homes - gorgeous.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
"Need" to be? It's called supply and demand. ...

And lastly, you do not have to be wealthy to live in Boulder. I have never been wealthy and I lived there for 15 years.

Neditate you make some good points but between your name and your elevation in location, one might infer you actually live in Nederland, a good 17 miles outside of Boulder! ;D If you do in fact live in Boulder, do you live in a single family home ? Do you rent or own?

Last edited by HeyHowdy; 12-05-2013 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area