Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM

103 posts, read 293,440 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Boulder and would like to rent downtown where I can walk to everything. Does anyone know of any rentals that might allow 4 very well-behaved indoor cats? My budget is $1500 - $2000 a month and my timing is flexible. All suggestions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 13,422 times
We have 4 cats too! I'm a vet tech with close to a decade of veterinary experience and even I had trouble finding anything. Our cats are our children, I have had my 3 girls their whole lives and our little boy is a sweet rescue with cancer- there was no way we would ever "just give up" one or two to find a place, we are a family package.

We are moving to Boulder County in March and originally looked at rentals but couldn't find anything that allowed more than 2 cats, and I even had "resumes" for each kitty with reports from the vet I worked for on their good health and behavior. Rentals almost always require a pet deposit and some even have pet rent! We are very honest and like living with integrity, we knew we could probably "hide" one or two of our kitties, but we didn't want to have to stress or worry about it (what if there was a fire? They wouldn't know to look for all 4!), and god forbid someone discovering cat #3 & #4 by accident. We have a very similar budget as you do, and there isn't a whole lot in Boulder. We ended up deciding to buy a cute house in Old Town Longmont (for multiple reasons), but one of the main ones was not having to worry anymore about renting with our sweet kitties.

It's so frustrating to have such limited options, and I've been in your position way too many times. I would recommend looking for an owner-owned apartment, you will likely not find anything in a rental company complex. We got lucky at our current apartment in SD, our landlady had 3 cats and loved that I was a vet tech that would trim her cats' nails and give her medical discounts.

I would be very clear with the prospective rental that you plan on being completely financially responsible for any damage they cause, maybe offer to pay upfront with a larger deposit than they ask, and offer ahead of time to have everything professionally cleaned when you leave. Many rentals are worried about all the cat hair and carpet damage. Whatever you do, please do not declaw your cats, even if rentals ask you to do so. It is cruel and extremely inhumane, and if they are asking you to do that, you should not consider renting there. You definitely should be looking for wood floors, avoid carpet at all costs, provide plenty of scratching posts and make sure to keep their nails short.
It's really hard to find places, I hope you find something!! Best of luck to you and your kitties!! <3

Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 AM

103 posts, read 293,440 times
Thank you so much VTnative! I feel the same as you and would never declaw a cat! My quest continues. I guess craigslist is my best resource and I hope to find an understanding owner. Lucklily I have time on my side and will wait for the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: