Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 PM

399 posts, read 817,175 times

Advertisements

Study: Buying a home is 44 percent cheaper than renting - The Denver Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 PM

23 posts, read 47,770 times
Thanks for the replies- Yes, yes, this is what I'm hearing and am now sadly convinced of- what we are looking for doesn't exist, be prepared to offer a lot more, you missed out on the low prices etc. My concern now, especially after reading this recent article: For Some Ready To Buy, A Good Home Is Hard To Find : NPR, is that there is an "inflation" of sorts in the housing market. Many of these places are simply not valued at what they are selling for. In our experience so far, we offered 5k above asking price on a house that was already listed well over 15k over any comparables in the area. Someone outdid us, which means this place was close to 30k or more over any other house on the street. This is a situation that many have told me I want to try and avoid.

There are few, if any comps, and even if there were it hardly matters, because people a year ago may have paid 20k less for the exact same house because the inventory is so low now. Then again, I suppose demand determines the real market value, but I know very little about how the market works, as I am a first time buyer. I guess we just continue searching and hope more people are enticed to sell (if they can afford it) as summer begins...I know the days of bargains are over, it's just a question of how much we can afford and trying to avoid a bidding war on every decent place we come across.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:04 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
I can tell you are frustrated and tired, but stay patient. There are new houses popping up every day, and one of them will be yours. You don't want to make a bad decision and have to live with it.

Also, it sounds like you are struggling with whether your house is an investment or an amenity. This is normal and there really isn't an easy way to handle this. Just take deep breaths and make a smart decision.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 AM

356 posts, read 624,200 times
From the article: "The 44 percent figure — which compares with 46 percent a year ago — assumes that the buyer stays in the home seven years, itemizes deductions at the 25 percent tax bracket, has a 3.5 percent interest rate on a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage, and puts 20 percent down.

So basically a perfect buyer is better of buying than renting.... well uhm yeah. No news here.
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM

23 posts, read 47,770 times
Thanks brown dog :-) I am trying to be optimistic and keep my options open. I know this will be a huge decision so I don't want to rush or settle for something that we really will regret once we move in.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
RENT FIRST! Give yourself some time to become familiar with your new location. What you find appealing initially, may not be so appealing a few months down the road. After living in your new location for awhile, you are likely to discover neighborhoods that you like alot better, places that you didn't know about as a newbie. Take your time, go slowly!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Get a grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by satori View Post
Many of these places are simply not valued at what they are selling for.

people a year ago may have paid 20k less for the exact same house

demand determines the real market value

but I know very little about how the market works
1.Yes, they are. Prices paid = market value. By definition.
2. Last year is not this year.
3. Yes. Along with supply.
4. Did you fail 10th-grade economics class? See #3 above.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:38 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satori View Post
Then again, I suppose demand determines the real market value, but I know very little about how the market works
Ummm... yeah it does.
Our friends are in the same situation you are and it sucks -- it is very frustrating.
It is a SELLERS market now. As davebarnes said, this year is not last year. It's too bad you weren't looking last year. C'est la vie.
Good luck to you.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 AM

399 posts, read 817,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCO5280 View Post
From the article: "The 44 percent figure — which compares with 46 percent a year ago — assumes that the buyer stays in the home seven years, itemizes deductions at the 25 percent tax bracket, has a 3.5 percent interest rate on a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage, and puts 20 percent down.

So basically a perfect buyer is better of buying than renting.... well uhm yeah. No news here.
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
;D It is news to those who don't know obviously. That's the definition of NEWS.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 PM

8 posts, read 9,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1.Yes, they are. Prices paid = market value. By definition.
2. Last year is not this year.
3. Yes. Along with supply.
4. Did you fail 10th-grade economics class? See #3 above.
Did you fail psych or do you just suck at being empathetic? Take your cues from brown_dog_us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area