Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 9,493 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm trying to do a little scouting of the Boulder area, as my husband is applying for a job in Boulder. We're in our early 30s with three children 6 y/o and younger and would be looking at commuting from outside of Boulder. Based on what has been suggested by a colleague and what I've read here, we'd probably be looking in Longmont, Broomfield, Westminster, etc. Mostly, I'm looking for information on looking for homes in those areas (4 bdrm, 2+ bath @ $250k or less, preferably) and on the difference between Boulder and the smaller towns around it. I'd appreciate any information or suggestions you guys have! Right now, we are in Indianapolis, which has a population of almost 900,000 in Indy proper, but it's like a liberal island in the middle of Republican/Bible Belt country. I know Boulder is a much more liberal, accepting city (haven't heard a lot about Denver), but I was wondering about the surrounding area. Almost all of our family is in the Midwest and we'll only know one person (and not very well), so finding a like-minded community will be huge for us. Crunchy/mindful but down-to-earth is how I'd describe us. As far as neighborhoods, we'd be looking to find something safe and walkable with parks and other places to play with small kids, as well as families of similar ages. Information on schools would be great, too, though depending on how expensive they are, we'd probably look into some of the Waldorf schools in Boulder. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I have read that Indy has one of the lowest, if not THE lowest, housing costs in the US. You will not find what you're looking for at your price point. You will probably have to go up at least $100K. Sorry to be the bearer of that bad news.

Denver is a "garden-variety liberal" city.

There is tons of information on this forum about schools. What specific questions do you have about schools?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
That's going to be a tough price point, especially for a family friendly neighborhood with good schools. Perhaps the offer from the new company will be for more money than you expected.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 PM

Hm... I posted a reply, but it's not showing up. Sorry if this posts twice.

First off, thanks for the responses! I checked out listings on coloproperty last night and found some that looked promising. Louisville and Superior are definitely out, but Broomfield, Westminster, Longmont, and Lafayette had houses with enough space and around our price range. We could probably go up to 300k if need be, but it would depend on the salary offer, of course. Looking at the prices out there almost blew my mind. Indy definitely has a low cost of living. Our 112k home would cost a minimum of 200k out your way.

As far as schools, I'm interested in non-traditional schools. Magnets, charters, homeschool hybrids... Indy has a program where they supply the curriculum and teaching materials, the kids attend class a couple days a week, and they homeschool the remainder of the week. Is there anything like that around Boulder? I will browse the forum more, but all I saw previously was a general description of school district performance.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hocuslotus View Post

First off, thanks for the responses! I checked out listings on coloproperty last night and found some that looked promising. Louisville and Superior are definitely out, but Broomfield, Westminster, Longmont, and Lafayette had houses with enough space and around our price range. We could probably go up to 300k if need be, but it would depend on the salary offer, of course. Looking at the prices out there almost blew my mind. Indy definitely has a low cost of living. Our 112k home would cost a minimum of 200k out your way.

As far as schools, I'm interested in non-traditional schools. Magnets, charters, homeschool hybrids... Indy has a program where they supply the curriculum and teaching materials, the kids attend class a couple days a week, and they homeschool the remainder of the week. Is there anything like that around Boulder? I will browse the forum more, but all I saw previously was a general description of school district performance.
I know people who have done that through the Boulder Valley School District. I have no clue how it works; you'd have to talk to them.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Default School Districts vs Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocuslotus View Post

In the areas you are looking, be very careful to confirm which school district your prospective home is in. In Colorado, especially the metro areas, SD's do not necessarily align with town or county boundaries. Broomfield is one of the worst. Parts of the city are in 6 different school districts . Mostly BVSD or Adams 12.

Re hybrid home school, it looks like this is a website for Boulder's version: Vision & Mission

Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
OMGosh.

Please think twice about moving your family from the midwest.

The state of Colorado has changed overwhelmingly from just a few years ago. Google it, and you'll see.

Your state of Indiana is rated tops in the nation in many categories, including one of the best places to live and to raise a family.

Your state is one of the top-rated well-managed states monetarily, which means they won't come claiming your money in taxes; state taxes, nor property taxes.

Compare this to Colorado and you'll be surprised.

Think Twice!
best,
toodie

Old 03-29-2013, 06:47 AM

I don't have a problem with paying taxes. After raising a family in Indiana for 7 years, I can say it's not as great as it seems on paper. Despite seeming "well-managed" financially, there have been drastic cuts to vital educational and other programs in order to balance the budget, and racism and bigotry run rampant. There is a huge evangelical movement here, which has led to the state legislature seriously discussing legislation governed by one religion's moral values. We'd be happy to get out of here.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Re hybrid home school, it looks like this is a website for Boulder's version: Vision & Mission
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area