Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times

Advertisements

OP, are you willing to have a roommate? I'm guessing some of the lower rents are for room shares or possibly sublets for the summer.

I know when we were looking for regular apartments for our son where he wasn't in a house with a bunch of other college students, we were finding $900+ for studios. The rent if very expensive in Boulder. Which is why he decided to move back home and commute back and forth to campus next year.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
OP, are you willing to have a roommate? I'm guessing some of the lower rents are for room shares or possibly sublets for the summer.

I know when we were looking for regular apartments for our son where he wasn't in a house with a bunch of other college students, we were finding $900+ for studios. The rent if very expensive in Boulder. Which is why he decided to move back home and commute back and forth to campus next year.....
That is possibly the case. I am not sure how accurate that site is? I am willing to commute 10 miles or so via bike, so I don't know if that helps the situation. I really don't want to be broke and looking at mountains, I prefer to be skiing on them.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 AM

You may want to consider communities outside of Boulder. Look into the s.w. side of Longmont. They are actually working on bike paths into Boulder. My husband can ride his bike to work which is off of Hwy 52 and Hwy 119 via bike path the whole way. I think it continues on but not sure how far at this point it goes.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
You may want to consider communities outside of Boulder. Look into the s.w. side of Longmont. They are actually working on bike paths into Boulder. My husband can ride his bike to work which is off of Hwy 52 and Hwy 119 via bike path the whole way. I think it continues on but not sure how far at this point it goes.
Thanks so much. I certainly don't have to be in Boulder proper and like to ride my bike at least 5 miles, to relax and enjoy. Yes, I ride in the snow because I think it is fun. Anyway, up in Longmont, I will be further from skiing, which is a bummer. Is there anything southwest of Boulder?

Last edited by gg; 05-07-2013 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 PM

I'll let the ones who live on that side to weigh in.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Thank you for your reply. From what I have read Seven Springs, even though a small hill would be better than Eldora
You've got to be kidding! I'm from Midwest, and when you say any resort in PA is "better than Eldora" the only conclusion I can make is that you've never skied in Colorado. The snow is different, the weather is different, the runs are much-much longer than anything in Midwest, also steeper. Throw in the fact that you are at 10,000 ft or higher and you get yourself some challenge. The elevation factor gets overlooked very often by recent transplants.
Winter Park is good, but anything up/down I-70 will take longer than you think if you go on a weekend.
Keep in mind the cost as well. Eldora is by far one of the cheapest places if you invest in the pass. Also, starting next season, Eldora is part of Epic Pass, so if you think you will be skiing a lot, it may be the way to go. No Winter Park there, but please don't compare Vail or Breckenridge to Seven Springs

Yes, Eldora doesn't have any speed lifts, but if you get to the Indian Peaks or Corona, you can get up reasonably quickly. The lifts on the central portion tend to stop more frequently.

To your questions about rent - I don't believe you can find anything for $600 in any proximity to Boulder. If you are willing to get a roommate, there are plenty 2-bedroom apartments for $1200 in the surrounding communities.

The town is friendly. We just get somewhat defensive when people compare our beloved Eldora to a Midwestern ski area

Last edited by OhioToCO; 05-07-2013 at 09:55 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
You've got to be kidding! I'm from Midwest, and when you say any resort in PA is "better than Eldora" the only conclusion I can make is that you've never skied in Colorado. The snow is different, the weather is different, the runs are much-much longer than anything in Midwest, also steeper. Throw in the fact that you are at 10,000 ft or higher and you get yourself some challenge. The elevation factor gets overlooked very often by recent transplants.
Winter Park is good, but anything up/down I-70 will take longer than you think if you go on a weekend.
Keep in mind the cost as well. Eldora is by far one of the cheapest places if you invest in the pass. Also, starting next season, Eldora is part of Epic Pass, so if you think you will be skiing a lot, it may be the way to go. No Winter Park there, but please don't compare Vail or Breckenridge to Seven Springs

Yes, Eldora doesn't have any speed lifts, but if you get to the Indian Peaks or Corona, you can get up reasonably quickly. The lifts on the central portion tend to stop more frequently.

To your questions about rent - I don't believe you can find anything for $600 in any proximity to Boulder. If you are willing to get a roommate, there are plenty 2-bedroom apartments for $1200 in the surrounding communities.

The town is friendly. We just get somewhat defensive when people compare our beloved Eldora to a Midwestern ski area
Look I don't know, that is why I am here asking questions. Seven Springs isn't "midwest". PA is in the East. Remember, where you are from is what we call "flatlanders". Sorry, I couldn't resist. Please don't put some odd words in my mouth. Comparing any of the big resorts to anything around here is a joke. I know that and stated it already.

I am not sure about Boulder. If the average home is over 1/2 a million, I suspect it is kind of monotone with the soccer moms and giant SUV's all over the place? I guess I will need to visit the place. How can old hippie types afford that kind of money? Just all rich people ever where. Not sure if that is for me, but like I said, I haven't been there. I could possibly relocate to Denver, but I would prefer something smaller. I am tired of city life.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
h_curtis, have you ever skied in Colorado? Have you ever been to the area?

Knowing your familiarity to the area will help us give you better advice.

Thanks and good luck!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
This talk about Eldora v Seven Springs motivated me to look up some statistics.

Vertical drop:
Eldora: 1600'
Seven Springs: 750'

Size:
Eldora: 680 skiable acres
Springs: 285 acres

Runs:
Eldora: 53
Springs: 40

Longest run:
Eldora: 3 miles
Springs: 1.3 miles

By almost every metric, Eldora is at least twice as large

I honestly don't know, curt, where you got the idea that skiing at Seven Springs would make you too good for Eldora. I have some friends in the DC area who do a lot of eastern skiing and they were totally awed when I took them up to Eldora just to see it in the summer.

Eldora is also accessible by RTD.

If you think Boulder may be too expensive, you might try SW Longmont as jcoop suggested, or Louisville.

Seven Springs Mountain Resort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Eldora Mountain Resort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
... Eldora is also accessible by RTD....
Just THAT one statement should be enough to blow the minds of most anyone.... that HERE, in COLO, you can take your local transit bus to go skiing or to your job in the big city of Denver....simply amazing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area