Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana
... Eldora is also accessible by RTD....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Just THAT one statement should be enough to blow the minds of most anyone.... that HERE, in COLO, you can take your local transit bus to go skiing or to your job in the big city of Denver....simply amazing.
yes, and I've done it several times, being a soccer mom and all (swim mom, but whatever). I would pick up my older son from swim practice on Saturday morning, then we would take a bus up to Eldora. My husband and a younger one would be already there, by car, since younger one has a program that starts at 9:15.
Oh, I know - Eldora is so family oriented, good skiers should avoid it at all costs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Just THAT one statement should be enough to blow the minds of most anyone.... that HERE, in COLO, you can take your local transit bus to go skiing or to your job in the big city of Denver....simply amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Look I don't know, that is why I am here asking questions. Seven Springs isn't "midwest". PA is in the East. Remember, where you are from is what we call "flatlanders". Sorry, I couldn't resist. Please don't put some odd words in my mouth. Comparing any of the big resorts to anything around here is a joke. I know that and stated it already.

I am not sure about Boulder. If the average home is over 1/2 a million, I suspect it is kind of monotone with the soccer moms and giant SUV's all over the place? I guess I will need to visit the place. How can old hippie types afford that kind of money? Just all rich people ever where. Not sure if that is for me, but like I said, I haven't been there. I could possibly relocate to Denver, but I would prefer something smaller. I am tired of city life.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, Ohio is flat, but I don't get offended. Listen, I'm on my "third life" already - having immigrated to US 12 years ago, then living in OH for 10, now on my 3rd year here in CO. I never bash a place even before I get a chance to visit. What's up with "soccer moms and SUVs"?
I think you need to visit Boulder - Denver area to get an idea, then make your own conclusions. It's hard to help you with information when you project negativity right off the bat.

Boulder is expensive, but it became expensive because it was attractive and people wanted to move here. Most people who live in these over half-million dollar homes bought them much-much cheaper just 10-15 years ago. Hence incomes are not as high as one might imagine. A lot of those who work in Boulder live in surrounding communities, precisely because of the cost of living.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,825 times
Kat, can't rep you again yet but
Ohio,
I started a similar post yesterday extolling the virtues of Eldora but deleted it.
Then I read this:
I suspect it is kind of monotone with the soccer moms and giant SUV's all over the place? How can old hippie types afford that kind of money? Just all rich people ever where.

I decided not to waste any more of my time.

Last edited by Neditate; 05-08-2013 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
Quote:
I am not sure about Boulder. If the average home is over 1/2 a million, I suspect it is kind of monotone with the soccer moms and giant SUV's all over the place? I guess I will need to visit the place. How can old hippie types afford that kind of money? Just all rich people ever where. Not sure if that is for me, but like I said, I haven't been there. I could possibly relocate to Denver, but I would prefer something smaller. I am tired of city life.

Thanks for the replies.
Houses START around 350,000 (tiny houses). If you exclude condos, I bet the average is a lot more than 1/2 a million. Vehicles are generally Subaru Outbacks (preferably green with a tan interior), Jeeps, Priuses or Land Rovers. I suspect the hippies can afford it one of these ways:
1. Trust fund
2. Ex or current drug dealer
3. Sold an internet company (so technically not a hippie more of a hipster)

I love Lyons and Nederland, both relatively close, but neither that good of a bike commute. I'd suggest trying to find a room or guest house for rent.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I am hoping to visit Boulder soon. I looked at flights and possible hotel rooms. Boulder is EXPENSIVE! Anyway, I suspect it is that expensive is because it is that nice. I do have family in Winter Park, so that is kind of cool. He teaches skiing and fly fishing. Nice to have someone to show me around for two things I love.

What do you think should be my short list of places to visit outside of Boulder knowing I plan on commuting via bicycle every day to Pearl and 28th St? Seems Superior and Louisville are about 10 miles out via bike and the commute doesn't look too bad? My price range can be $1000 a month including everything and I don't care about how big the place is. It can be a shoebox in size. Many people mention Longmont, but that is too far via bike IMHO.

If you were trying to get a feel for the area, what places would you visit while there knowing I like to ski and ride a bike everywhere. I also enjoy hiking, but I will probably only be there for a week, so my time will be limited. I would probably want to drive to a couple ski resorts just to understand the commute. Thanks all for the help.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Kat, can't rep you again yet but
Ohio,
I started a similar post yesterday extolling the virtues of Eldora but deleted it.
Then I read this:
I suspect it is kind of monotone with the soccer moms and giant SUV's all over the place? How can old hippie types afford that kind of money? Just all rich people ever where.

I decided not to waste any more of my time.
Sorry about that feel I was giving off. It was a bit of frustration about cost and how much less this little time Pittsburgher can afford out that way. Guess I am living in some cheap bubble over here and when I think of expensive, NYC and San Fran come to mind, but I guess Boulder is right up there. I just didn't know and it sort of shattered my dreams a bit.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
You'll be able to find a place if you really look and are willing to rent a room/have a roommate. You can always move up to a bigger place later. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
cycling would be harder in Pittsburgh... If you can handle Pittsburgh, you can ride anywhere.
Call me (+1.303.744.9024; leave a message at the beep) AFTER you ride 50 miles around Leadville.
LOL.
Call me AFTER you ride over Loveland Pass.
LOL.
Better yet, ride from Leadville to Aspen and then call me. It is only 60 miles.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Call me (+1.303.744.9024; leave a message at the beep) AFTER you ride 50 miles around Leadville.
LOL.
Call me AFTER you ride over Loveland Pass.
LOL.
Better yet, ride from Leadville to Aspen and then call me. It is only 60 miles.
Okay. I am riding a track bike around here and figured I would bring that out that way for my main transportation. Never had gears as a kid. Hope to ride with you sometime. Maybe you can show me the ropes. First and second beer would be on me if you drink.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 PM

Are there ANY places totally run down? That doesn't bother me. I have flipped several homes and am very handy. Could that help? I just don't know the area yet. Please let me know the short list of places to see as potential living areas if I am trying to be within 10 miles from work. If it is as flat as it looks I would consider 15 miles each way. That is only 30 miles a day, plus my job is physical, but that should be good. I never rush my rides much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area